Sign in to follow this  
AdamMAXIS

Would Anyone Happen To Be A Lawyer?

I need to speak with a lawyer... would anyone happen to be a lawyer? If so, can you PM me? :mrgreen:

Or... if you are good with the law.. I could use some help.. Free speech issue :mrsgreen:

Edited by AdamMAXIS

Well, I'm in the UK, my girlfriend is in Tokyo and she's studying Japanese criminal and civil law...

I guess that's not much of a help, but she talks to me about some stuff, and I could, erm, try and help if you wanted :erm:

:lol::lol::lol:

Or... if you are good with the law.. I could use some help.. Free speech issue

I know quite a bit about Canadian law...that any help? :mrgreen:

Hawk :beer:

Students don't have much free speech- many of your rights are taken away when you enter the building. My friend's dad is a lawyer so he knows quite a bit about this kinda stuff.

you dont really have freedom of speech, more like freedom of opinion and expression. you cant say anything you want at any given time, teachers, government employees, every other employee in the country all have limited rights to free speech

This has to do with student's freedom of speech.. My freedom of speech is being threatened..

For someone wanting free speech you aren't saying much. :mrgreen:

Ok.. There is this girl at my school who tried to break up my best friends by making my best friend alan look like he cheated on his gf.. so I made a fake weblog to make fun of that girl.. Here is the site: http://xanga.com/ct918sucks

The girl printed it out and gave it in to the school and the guidance councilor came up to me and told me to stop it. This girl has no solid proof that I made the site though.. I never accessed the site on school grounds.. so it has nothing to do with the school.. So... My freedom of speech allows me to continue right? Is that site 100% legal? That is the question..

Edited by AdamMAXIS

Ok.. There is this girl at my school who tried to break up my best friends by making my best friend alan look like he cheated on his gf.. so I made a fake weblog to make fun of that girl.. Here is the site: http://xanga.com/ct918sucks

The girl printed it out and gave it in to the school and the guidance councilor came up to me and told me to stop it. This girl has no solid proof that I made the site though.. I never accessed the site on school grounds.. so it has nothing to do with the school.. So... My freedom of speech allows me to continue right? Is that site 100% legal? That is the question..

FreeSpeech sure you can continue!

There is also this other funny little thing called slander and another called defamation.

Perhaps you should consider how childish, and cruel it is to create a web site for no other prupose then to tell lies, and try to defame and slander someone, not to mention the legal problems you can create for yourself, and your parents.

Do you have allot of money for a real lawyer if you get sued for slandering and defaming the young lady?

Sounds to me like someone needs to grow up a little. Before a lawsuit does it for them.

You have every right to do it, but that doesn't mean the school isn't going to stop you. They can punish you for it, even if they have no business doing so.

You could make a big case out of it and get a lawyer to fight for you, but either you will lose, or the judge will dismiss the case altogether.

Bottom line, you're doing nothing wrong(well not legally anyway, morally, different story,) but there's not much that can be done about it. :(

The girl printed it out and gave it in to the school and the guidance councilor came up to me and told me to stop it.  This girl has no solid proof that I made the site though..  I never accessed the site on school grounds.. so it has nothing to do with the school.. So... My freedom of speech allows me to continue right?  Is that site 100% legal? That is the question..

FreeSpeech sure you can continue!

There is also this other funny little thing called slander and another called defamation.

Perhaps you should consider how childish, and cruel it is to create a web site for no other prupose then to tell lies, and try to defame and slander someone, not to mention the legal problems you can create for yourself, and your parents.

Do you have allot of money for a real lawyer if you get sued for slandering and defaming the young lady?

Sounds to me like someone needs to grow up a little. Before a lawsuit does it for them.

I believe Bruce is right, its Slander and a big no no, the School can get involved since your both students.

My view is that it is a parody and as such it is not illegal or slanderous.

If you take off the references to school then the school cant touch you.

What you do in your private time in you home is your business and the school can not interfere with that.

Take care, Keith

What you do in your private time in you home is your business and the school can not interfere with that.

Take care, Keith

I like this guy! :mrgreen:

Take care, Keith

Lat time I checked the inetrnet was not a "private" place. It is a "publicly" accessable web site. That is not privacy. Posting it here just made it accessable to another 20,000 or so people.

Pretending to be someone else with the sole intention of causing public ridicule, or to harm that persons characture is in fact a crime and is punishable, both criminally and through civil suits.

Not to mention it is childish, stupid, and a hateful thing to do.

I can't say I would have much respect for someone who would stoop so low to be mean to another person.

I'd have a lawyer knockin on your door tommorrow if I were her parents.

Edited by Bruce