Sign in to follow this  
jenjen1018

Internet Won't Work

On the page that opens when you click on that tab is a window that should show the connection you just made, and it should be highlighted as the default connection...

it says wt.net (which is wrong)

ok i clicked set tab(just found it) Do i select connect through LAN(because i have a cable modem

Sorry, but I don't have a win98 in front of me. If you click on the setup button and start clicking next to go through the wizard, does its offer you a broadband connection, or just a lan? I would think that you DON'T want the LAN, but I'm not sure... sorry...

I'm at work...

gotta go, sorry..

I'll check back to see how you're doing...

edit: look at the IE properties/settings on hubby's computer and try to copy them to the other one....

Edited by IntelGuy

Sorry, but I don't have a win98 in front of me. If you click on the setup button and start clicking next to go through the wizard, does its offer you a broadband connection, or just a lan? I would think that you DON'T want the LAN, but I'm not sure... sorry...

it doesnt give me that option. :(

I'm at work...

gotta go, sorry..

I'll check back to see how you're doing...

edit: look at the IE properties/settings on hubby's computer and try to copy them to the other one....

ok thanks for your help.

Guest jiku14

I must say that i had a particular instance when th si happened but cant reember why now

how are u connected to the net now?

go to ur cable's maunfactueres site

(to the guy who thought that jenjen had put win98 over winxp it was most likely a function that actually allowed her to keep the old os still in system memory or she partitioned her system but i doubt it )

the worst fo worst cases is that that uninstalling xp would take files it was currently using from per say ie and taking them with it

also look for a guide onn how to uninstall ie properly in google.com

since its one subject i that is a pain in the butt

but i stroongly agree researchiing how to format ur HD

thanks for your help. it works now, and its even faster than before. i reinstalled XP, after all else failed. i never did figure out what that was, but XP is running great now. internet connection is fast. :)

also after XP finished installing, i had to get ad-aware, spy-bot, and avg again. And ad-aware found over 200 adware! SPy-bot found about 10! i was surprised about that, because they hadnt found that much before. only about 3 adwares.

Your winsock was corrupted. When that happens you can pull an IP but not surf. It happens a lot when uninstalling programs that use the internet, most notably new.net. try this link if you go back to win 98 (or if somebody else is readin this) :)http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe

it fixes the winsock on oll os's and works great.

Your winsock was corrupted. When that happens you can pull an IP but not surf. It happens a lot when uninstalling programs that use the internet, most notably new.net. try this link if you go back to win 98 (or if somebody else is readin this) :)http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe

it fixes the winsock on oll os's and works great.

thanks for the link