Sign in to follow this  
jenjen1018

Internet Won't Work

hello, im on my husbands computer now. yesterday, him and i uninstalled win XP os, and went back to windows 98, (because XP seemed to be slowing the computer). Well, now whenver we open a browser from that computer, it said page not found. weve tried tons of sites. We have a cable modem that is supposed to be 3 mbps. The modem is working. all the green lights are flashing. we can't figure this out! Please help!

also, when i boot up the computer, it brings me to a black screen first that says ' cannot find device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

the windows registry or system.INI file refers to this device file, but it no longer exists.

ect..

C:\PROGRA"1\CA\ETRUST"1\ETRUST"1\VETMON9X.VXD

press a key to continue'

i don't know if that helps.thanks in advance.

hello, im on my husbands computer now. yesterday, him and i uninstalled win XP os, and went back to windows 98

Hi jenjen,

Did you do a reformat? ;)

Hawk :beer:

nope. i didnt format anything

Didn't you say you uninstalled XP & went back to 98? How did you do it? ;)

i was using win 98 before i upgraded to win XP, so all i had to do was uninstall win XP, and it went back to win 98

Err..yup! :huh: I guess.

This is a new one on me...I have heard of upgrading from 98 to XP without reformating BUT ....installing 98 over XP is a different thing... :blink: I would suggest that you have a look & see who is on the board...green is for Mods...red is for Admins. :mrgreen:

I think you may have to do a reformat...in other words..wipe the drive & then reinstall. :woot: I may be wrong though. :huh:

Sorry couldn't help more, :(

ok, thanks for your help. except i didnt reinstall win 98. i was just there after i uninstalled win XP

That's where I think the problem lies though Jen, there could be a conflict happening causing the problems you are having. I think I saw Dave there a moment ago..try sending him a PM & tell him the thread to look at. :mrgreen:

do you have a win98 cd?

If yes, go to system info (in accessories>system tools) and click on the tools tab. Should be a file checker option in there. If you run file checker, it will find the missing files and you can restore them from the cd.

Once you get rid of the error messages, it will be easier to isolate the internet deal...

do you have a win98 cd?

If yes, go to system info (in accessories>system tools) and click on the tools tab. Should be a file checker option in there. If you run file checker, it will find the missing files and you can restore them from the cd.

Once you get rid of the error messages, it will be easier to isolate the internet deal...

i cant find system info. i went to browse this cd

O.K.

I haven't run win98 in a while so please forgive me if I'm not totally with it...

After you get rid of the errors, I believe there's an internet connection wizard that should walk you through getting reconnected. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly where it is, but you might start by looking in "my computer" or "control panel."

O.K.

I haven't run win98 in a while so please forgive me if I'm not totally with it...

After you get rid of the errors, I believe there's an internet connection wizard that should walk you through getting reconnected. Sorry, but I don't remember exactly where it is, but you might start by looking in "my computer" or "control panel."

ok thsnks, ill try that

you might also right click the blue "e" on the desktop and the click "properties" "connection" tab, and "setup" button...

On the page that opens when you click on that tab is a window that should show the connection you just made, and it should be highlighted as the default connection...