Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lorymer

"no Connection, Try Again" When Starting Ie

Suddenly, I started to have a problem in normally connecting to the Internet.

Everything was running OK. I shut down my PC. A few hours later I started it back again to continu working. After clicking on the Internet icon, the normal dialog Window for Internet Connections DOES NOT appear anymore. Instead I get the Work Offline Message:

No connection to the Internet is currently available.

Click Try Again to attempt to connect.

If I click Try Again, there is NO attempt to connect to the Internet!

Only, “Cannot find server” res://C:\WINNT\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

If I click refresh, nothing happens.

Fortunately, I am (yet) able to connect after shutting down the “Cannot find server page” and by clicking on the Internet ADSL Desktop Icon. However, I am extremely worried about this strange and unexplainable behavior not only because it is very annoying but also because it is possible to lead to some permanent malfunction to my Internet connection. Which would be a disaster!

:help: Please, can anyone help me fix this? Thanks!

Here are some details:

Windows2000, IE 6 SP1, ADSL Connection (I also have a backup dial-up connection)

Just checked the system with NAV 2003 and Lavasoft Ad-Aware6. Everything OK.

Checked all the Internet Connection Settings.

try this. unplug the power and phone cord from the dsl modem. leave it alone for about three minutes. plug them back in, wait a couple more minutes, then try to connect.

Instead I get the Work Offline Message:

Hi Lory,

Just a thought but did you check "File" at top left corner & make sure work off line is not checked? ;)

Hawk :beer:

Thanks bobbymokie, but I tired this before several times. Actually, I unplugged the ADSL modem and plugged in the dial-up modem. Identical behavior! This is why I don't think it is related to either one of the modems.

Thanks Hawk, but I tried this a lot of times. Work offline chcked and unchecked- again and again.

Unfortunatelly, I suspect it is something moddified in the registry! I don't know how :mrsgreen:

I am not a pro so I am affraid to mess with the registry (although I have an Emergency Repair Disk with recent back-up registry dated 01.02.2004).

try running this scan:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

then copy and past the results in the "virus and spyware" forum under hijackthis logs.

Also, never tried this, but in control panel, network connections if you right click the lan icon there is an option to "repair connection" could give it a shot.