Sign in to follow this  
foomangoo

Have Connection, But Ie Will Not Work?

no reg problems, no win problems....maybe it was previously repaired, but continues not to function. ????? is that possible?

have you ever used the transport wizard on norton to copy a program to another computer?....wonder if that will work?

Transport wizard...no i have'nt

if problems were previously detected you would have to have choosen 'ignore'" for them not to be detected again if they still existed.

You would also have a small bar saying view ignored problems in the particular test tab they were in .

Have you tried looking for ie6 in windows in C ,if thats where windows is installed.

If you can find the .exe file there you may be able to execute the program and may even get a repair option.

worth a try i dont know why we didnt look there to begin with.....

no ie6 anywhere.

ie5 wants to download from the net, so does netscape (that i transfer wizarded).....says transmittion error, or dns error....

why couldnt i install ie5 from my win98 first edition disc?....it wants to connect to internet and download from web when i use the ie5.exe file.

???????????? I'm lost!

are you sure you have a problem with IE? sounds more like a TCP/IP problem to me. Try this fix for the problem. Its a utility to fix your TCP/IP stack. http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe

Its called an XP fix, but it works for 98 too. The info also tells you how to do things manually if you dont trust the prog.

Hello, I have been reading on your problem, and I was wondering if you have an IE shortcut on your desktop? If so try to click on it and see what it says, if you dont have a desktop shortcut go to programs and find it there, if not you are going to have to find that executable file. and you say you can connect with the modem but cant open a browser right??

sure if you have ie5 on the disc install it then when you fix the dns error update to ie6 although i find ie 5.5works way better with with 98. I thought you had said you didnt have a 98 disc...sorry

ok, have downloaded the winsock repair tool, will try it now.

i do have a shortcut as well as the original icon on desktop, both work, or dont work, the same. Yes, that is my problem, I connect to my ISP no problem, but when i bring up IE it will not operate.....says dns error....cant find server.... ?????? so i can connect but not actually do anything with the connection!

i have an win98 first edition cd from a previous pc, when i go to install the ie5.exe file, it wants to connect to the internet to download it from miscrosoft site. ??????

Since you do have access to the net through another machine, do you have cd burner? Download another browser such as netscape or mozilla and burn the setup file to a cd and install it on the lap top. If you can get one of these to work then you can rule out causes to your problem.

Had another thought too, before you try to get another browser, look in the Internet Options under connections and look under dial up settings, make sure that the never dial a connection tab is not highlighted, this will ensure that IE is looking for a connection to begin with.

YES! :woot:

the winsock tool worked.....got on and went to update and downloaded ie6 and othr updates for the machine. Thanks!

by the way, what exactly does this tool do or fix? I am curious as to what the actual problem might have been.

Thanks to all for the help!

Greatly Appreciated!

foo