Sign in to follow this  
frustrate

My Sound Just Disappeared For No Apparent Reason

I was listening to an internet radio show using headphones, and all of a sudden, there was no sound. I thought the station was having streaming problems, but when I tried my computer's volume setting, there was no sound there either, and it wasn't on mute. I usually get a sound when I open a new window, but that is gone too.

I ran a pcpitstop test, but everything was fine, and it doesn't include info on audio.

I ran First Aid McAfees Utilities, and that showed nothing.

I checked my Device Manager, and it says the sound card is fine (Soundblaster Live). I looked for updated drivers, and it said I already had the best driver installed.

I tried my headphones on a boom box, and sound did come through them.

I tried using my speakers instead of the headphones, and I can get a hum from them when I touch the end of the cable before I insert it into the computer, but then they don't have sound when I plug it in.

I have rebooted twice after checking these things, and it didn't help.

Any clue on what the problem is, and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds funky...how old is the sound card? You'll get that humming noise if you touch it to some other metal object. Did you have the headphones plugged directly into the sc? By the way, :welcome:

Sounds funky...how old is the sound card? You'll get that humming noise if you touch it to some other metal object. Did you have the headphones plugged directly into the sc? By the way, :welcome:

The sound card was installed when I had my computer built in 2000.

Originally, I had audio cables plugged into the computer to extend the distance I could move from the computer while I listened. But when the sound disappeared, I tried the connections between them and the headphones, and when that didn't help, I unplugged the cables and put the headphone wires directly into the computer back.

By the way, I am not a new member. I have posted here several times, but every time I am gone for a month or so, the site won't recognize me and makes me register again. It is very annoying to have to keep doing that over and over, and I don't know why I don't stay in the database. Does that happen to everyone?

Plus, today it didn't email me to tell me I had replies. Has that been discontinued?

We all had to start over and register again sometime in February I think it was... the Pit went to a new BBS system for the forums... again :rolleyes: (did it last December too)... but it's much better than the previous software IMHO.

To enable the e-mail notifications, click the "My Controls" link at the top right of any forum page, and then go down the left side under "E-mail" settings... and there you can turn on the notification.

To run the DX diagnostics, click "Start/Run", then type: dxdiag; then click OK. Follow the on-screen prompts for the DX tests. It won't fix anything, but will test and point out problems.

We all had to start over and register again sometime in February I think it was... the Pit went to a new BBS system for the forums... again :rolleyes: (did it last December too)... but it's much better than the previous software IMHO.

To enable the e-mail notifications, click the "My Controls" link at the top right of any forum page, and then go down the left side under "E-mail" settings... and there you can turn on the notification.

To run the DX diagnostics, click "Start/Run", then type: dxdiag; then click OK. Follow the on-screen prompts for the DX tests. It won't fix anything, but will test and point out problems.

Thanks for letting me know about everyone having to reregister. That explains why I had trouble twice before. :)

I just set my email options as per your instructions, so it should notify me now.

Ran the DX, and this is what it says: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (unknown error)

Now what? I tried hearing the sounds with my headphones and then with speakers, but the test sound it played didn't come through either one.

It won't fix anything, but will test and point out problems.

I moved the hardware accelleration slider back to none in there and that fixed a sound problem I was having. You're right JimD, the program itself won't fix it, but it might give him a good starting point. :)

Guest kapper

i lost my sound a little while ago and it was a thing called soun man from microsoft some kareoke thing i got rid of it and reinstalled my sound driver and all works well failing that look inside your pc to make sure your cables are conected and good luck

you might try System Restore if you have XP or ME but if it is a hardware problem, it won't fix it.

I said above that I have W98SE.

How do I find out if it is a software or hardware problem?

i lost my sound a little while ago and it was a thing called soun man from microsoft some kareoke thing i got rid of it and reinstalled my sound driver and all works well failing that look inside your pc to make sure your cables are conected and good luck

Where did the soun man come from? Did you deliberately install it? I never installed anything new. Like I said, I was listening to internet

radio just fine, and my sound just stopped.

What cables are inside the PC? I don't even know where to find the sound card in there. The tower hasn't even been opened since January when a repair shop installed a new hard drive. Would cables just disconnect when the tower was standing still , not bumped into, etc?

could be like me... I accidently unplugged mine. Plugged it back in and was good as new :rolleyes: Sorry no help was it?

Which media player were you using to listen to internet radio? Have you tried a different media player, or put a CD in your tray to see if you can hear that? If you have checked everywhere for proper settings, and as you said it is not muted, things are OK in Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio, drivers OK, etc., then logically it would appear to be the soundcard.

B)

could be like me... I accidently unplugged mine. Plugged it back in and was good as new :rolleyes: Sorry no help was it?

Unplugged from where? I asked about cables inside the tower, and didn't get an answer yet. All the cables on the outside are inserted

all the way when I check them, so that's not the problem.

Which media player were you using to listen to internet radio? Have you tried a different media player, or put a CD in your tray to see if you can hear that? If you have checked everywhere for proper settings, and as you said it is not muted, things are OK in Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio, drivers OK, etc., then logically it would appear to be the soundcard.

B)

I put a CD in and it says it is playing, but I don't hear a thing. If media players don't control the sounds I am supposed to receive when I open a new window, or receive new mail, then that's not the problem. As I said, I get no sound from anything that used to "make noise". :)

How would I find the soundcard if I decide to open the tower and check the connections?

And would you suggest I uninstall/reinstall the software, or does it sound more like a hardware failure? The card is at least close to 3 years old. How long do they usually last?

Most computers I know of has a volume control icon (in the form of a yellow speaker) resting in the system tray (beside the clock). Most also have a "mixer or equalizer" there too. Have you checked to make sure the volume control is not turned down or muted in BOTH places? I wouldn't go poking around inside the tower just yet. Do you have your earphones plugged into the correct jack in the back of the computer? There should be a stamped on indicator mark or color coded jacks on the soundcard to show you where to plug them in. I know you've heard this before, but just check and make sure. Sometimes, it's the simple things we overlook or assume we have done. I do it all the time!

Most computers I know of has a volume control icon (in the form of a yellow speaker) resting in the system tray (beside the clock). Most also have a "mixer or equalizer" there too. Have you checked to make sure the volume control is not turned down or muted in BOTH places? I wouldn't go poking around inside the tower just yet. Do you have your earphones plugged into the correct jack in the back of the computer? There should be a stamped on indicator mark or color coded jacks on the soundcard to show you where to plug them in. I know you've heard this before, but just check and make sure. Sometimes, it's the simple things we overlook or assume we have done. I do it all the time!

As I said in my first post, I was listening to the radio with no problem when the sound disappeared. I have had those headphones plugged in for over a month, changing nothing with my volume settings in ages. I wasn't playing around with anything when this happened, just reading email and listening to the radio. Settings don't just change on their own, do they? Would Mute just turn on by itself?

Frustrate....Try going to Start/Help/Index tab, type in sound cards, click on troubleshooting. It gives a sequence of steps to go through. You may find that one of them applies to your situation.

I've looked through all the posts again, looking for a link to your test results. Could you please run the PCPitstop tests, then post a link here to your test so we can look deeper into your system etc... I'm obviously missing something here still and can't put my finger on what... looking at your system results might help me.

Here's how to post the link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp

Also, here's a little FREE utility program that's one of the best system analyzers I've found yet... why don't you download it and see if it points out anything...

Aida32 System Analyzer - download the Enterprise version

I've looked through all the posts again, looking for a link to your test results. Could you please run the PCPitstop tests, then post a link here to your test so we can look deeper into your system etc... I'm obviously missing something here still and can't put my finger on what... looking at your system results might help me.

Here's how to post the link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp

Also, here's a little FREE utility program that's one of the best system analyzers I've found yet... why don't you download it and see if it points out anything...

I didn't think to post results since there was nothing in there that had anything to do with audio. I will try to make time to run them again later tonite or early tomorrow, and download the other utility if I can. Thanks for the info.

There are 2 places to click on the download page of AIDA. Do I do both, or just where it says ZIP, or the EXE one? I'm not really great at downloading things. :mrsgreen:

The downloadable Zip file contains all the program files... and you will have to have a "un-zip" utility to use it. It lets you choose where you want to un-zip the files, and doesn't contain an installer.

The downloadable exe file is an installer for the program... and you don't need an un-zip utility to use it. I suggest you use this one to make it easier for you. Download it to your desktop or a temporary directory, then run it to install it.

Edited by JimD

The downloadable Zip file contains all the program files... and you will have to have a "un-zip" utility to use it. It lets you choose where you want to un-zip the files, and doesn't contain an installer.

The downloadable exe file is an installer for the program... and you don't need an un-zip utility to use it. I suggest you use this one to make it easier for you. Download it to your desktop or a temporary directory, then run it to install it.

Well, I never got notification that you posted this, but now I don't need it. Thanks anyway.

I came here to post that the problem is solved, tho I still don't know what caused it in the first place.

I uninstalled all the software for my soundcard, and moved it to another slot, then reinstalled it all, and it came back to life. :mrgreen: