Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Help, Please With Zone Alarm

I recently switched from Black Ice to ZA (ver. 4.5 ) and have been OK until today. I accidentally clicked 'No' for internet access on a program and now all I get when I try to open it is 'Run-time error '75' Path/file access error. I have tried everything, including reinstalling ZA, but the program (Crossword Cracker) won't work. There is nothing relevant on the ZA Instant Help forum. Anybody out there can help, please?

d0nut

Right click on the ZA icon in the system tray and choose "Restore Zone Alarm Control Panel". Then click on Program Control. In the upper right you'll see three tabs: Main, Programs, and Components. Click on Progams then scroll through the list to the one in question. From there just click on the activity you want to change (Access/Internet in this case) and choose Allow.

Thanks to both of you. Remo. I have already done what you said, but to no avail. Can't understand it. :(

d0nut

Does this help? I copied it from a web page.

RUNTIME ERROR 75: "Run-time error 75: path/file access error." This error occurs when a program is installed on a network and the user does not have rights to the program directory. For the program to work properly on a network, users must be given rights by the network administrator.

When I checked, my PC was set as 'network'. I reset it as 'desktop' and rebooted, but still the same problem.

d0nut

Right click the icon in the system tray. Click applications, there you can change there access status..

Try this: In the ZA control panel, under Program Control, highlight the program then choose Options (lower right corner). One of the options is Authentication. Uncheck "Authenticate Components" and check "Authenticate by Full Path Only".

If that doesn't work shutdown ZA completely. Does your program work then (checking to make sure ZA is indeed the problem).

Remo. I must have a different version to you. Mine is free, but has no 'Option' tab or button.

I tried it with ZA uninstalled, but it still didn't work. However, the reason I blame ZA was that everything was OK until I clicked the 'No' button. After that, it didn't work.

Have to leave, now. Be back in about 12 hours.

Many thanks.

d0nut

Right click the icon in the system tray. Click applications, there you can change there access status.. Find the application that you said no to. click to highlite it and right click to pick "allow" it. Hope that helps

Cutloop. When I right-click, there is no 'Applications' facility shown.

I have the free ZA and it has it. Are you right clicking the icon beside the clock??

Cutloop. When I right click on icon, I get this menu.

Engage internet lock

Stop all internet activity

About

Buy

Restore Control Center

Shutdown ZA

No applications

d0nut, you are logged in as admin right? If so, have you gone into zone alarm and given the program access? If you have done the above, is the program on the computer you are using on your network?

Try restarting your computer and then try opening the prog.

If you only clicked no and not checked the box no always, it should ask you if it should connect again.

Otherwise uninstall ZA and reinstall it.

Edited by COMPUTER CRASHER

donut, click on the restore control center first. Then do the rest. Or on the left side of the ZA window open program control, then programs, then click on the program if there is an X in any of the windows to the right of it click on remove. Then under program control make sure the slider is in the medium position not high.

Edited by rja

Let me go over exactly what I did. Might help :) I opened Crossword Cracker as usual, and ZA came up and asked did I want to give permission for it to access the Net. I ticked the 'No' box, forgetting that for some of the functions the program has to be online. C.C then shut down and when I attempted to open it again, all I got was the runtime error 75. This is what I posted earlier:

RUNTIME ERROR 75: "Run-time error 75: path/file access error." This error occurs when a program is installed on a network and the user does not have rights to the program directory. For the program to work properly on a network, users must be given rights by the network administrator.

When I checked, my PC was set as 'network'. I reset it as 'desktop' and rebooted, but still the same problem. The answer, I think, lies somewhere in the administrator bit, but I know nothing about networking.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your time, guys.

d0nut

Problem solved! I unticked the read only boxes in the program. Works OK

Thanks again, everyone

d0nut

Cutloop. When I right click on icon, I get this menu.

Engage internet lock

Stop all internet activity

About

Buy

Restore Control Center

Shutdown ZA

No applications

I also have a free version of ZA but it is v4.5.538.0

Don't know why the difference. Had a bit of a problem recently with ZA. Tried to delete it & lost access to the net. Kept getting a page from ZA informing me that I was being restricted from internet access because ZA had detected a problem with my installation. The page was "Notice from Zone Labs Internet Security". This is from a program I thought I had deleted. I was able to get around in by downloading ZA again. Apparently if you check the options box "Load at startup" it will not delete properly. Decided to keep program for now anyway.

Don't know if any of this helps but thought I would pass it along anyway.

Good luck!

forlornjohn

Thanks for the input, John. Just wish I'd been born a genius instead of so damned good looking........er, and modest of course :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

john before you unistall you have to shut down za. it wont delete if running. rclick on taskbar icon then click shut down zone alarm.

Edited by rja

john before you unistall you have to shut down za. it wont delete if running. rclick on taskbar icon then click shut down zone alarm.

The situation I was involved in with ZA was a bit strange as I never had it happen before. I had gone through the delete procedure and when I tried to access the internet, it was like my Home Paged had been hijacked.Could get off this page from ZA which was quite lengthy and gave an explanation how to get internet access back. They were referring to ZA (Pro/Plus) which is not the one I had. I just had ZA (Freeware version). I downloaded another version (Free one) abd I also received the instructions to delete you have to uncheck "Load ZA at start-up"+ reboot (Start/shut down/restart/OK) I don't know if the rest applies as they keep referring to ZA (Pro/Plus) & it gets involved. It involves internet logs folder & I don't want you to get imvolved in something that could damage your OS. I can only state that to the best of my knowledge,if you are going to uninstall, you have to uncheck "Load ZA at start-up". Before I downloaded again, I was left with two files in windows/system32 called VSDATA95 and VSDATANT ans instructed by ZA to delete them. VSDATA95 deleted but would not delete VSDATANT (Access denied).

Don't know if this will help or not. Be very careful what you do with ZA as I would not want you end up in the same predicament as I did.

Sounds right on the right click but I would uncheck before shutting down.

forlornjohn