Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kenzo

Your Connection......

Guest kenzo

I have DSL and am based in England, I understand in America DSL is rather expensive, whats the average cost for say a 512k connection, currently paying £27GBP a month for mine.

Understand quite a few Amercans are staying on 56k modems due to high cost of broadband, is the cost likely to fall?

Just interested is all :blushing:

I have DSL and am based in England, I understand in America DSL is rather expensive, whats the average cost for say a 512k connection, currently paying £27GBP a month for mine.

Understand quite a few Amercans are staying on 56k modems due to high cost of broadband, is the cost likely to fall?

Just interested is all  :blushing:

currently paying £27GBP a month

I don't know how much that is in US Dollars sooooo.....one can get ADSL with 1.5mb down & 128 up for as low as 19.99 by some local telcos....but at this point I prefer Cable as I get much better speed than I ever did with DSL at 12,000 ft from C.O.

my cable

Download Bandwidth Test Results

Text Block Size 500 KB

Download Time 1578 ms

Receive Buffer Default

Transmission Speed 2535 Kb/s

and up....

Upload Bandwidth Test Results

Upload Speed 290 Kb/s

-Regards

Chris

(Sacramento, California...)

using a couple of conversion apps from google one said 27GBP was $42.60 and the other said $45.+. I pay $45 for 1.5mb DSL connection.

I understand in America DSL is rather expensive

I seem to remember that Dialup was expensive in Europe and people would only stay online for an hour a day (otherwise it was costing them over $100). At least that is what they posted a few years ago. Dialup ranged from being FREE to around $24 for 24/7 connection in the US.

Cable is around $35 for a 3MB connection across the lake and is $55 for a 1MB connection (that slows to 18kb) on my side of the lake...it just depends on where you live.

kenzo...you really need to compare our (UK) prices with US prices of around 5 - 7 yeras ago, 'cos that is how far behind we are here in the UK. Everything to do with 'puters and telecommunications is more expensive in the UK, we haven't got the huge market that the US has, so the lack of real competition and relatively low volume sales keeps prices up!. They don't call us "Rip-off" Britian for nuttin'. Being an Island (and a small one at that) has some advantages, but, many more disadvantages ;)

Well, I can tell you that I'm currently paying $21.95 a month for dial-up, and would really like to go to DSL, but all the plans out where I am are $45-$49. I believe that would translate to £55-59 (correct me if I'm a little behind on my currency). I can't afford $20 more, so that's why I don't have it (and many of my friends and people I know). Plus, living in the stix doesn't help...

My friend Jander...... ;)

20 bucks (dollars) more per month will save you SO MUCH TIME that you can get a 2nd job!! It has been 3yrs since my move to broadband (1st DSL then....now I mean, Cable) and I have cable because I live over 25,000ft from my CO (good 'ol "Gladstone" shhhhh) ummmm yeah I work telco.....network (cable maint. splicer) and no DPG (digital pair gain) ti'' later this year........soooo AT&* BBand to the rescue.

Actually the only reason I'd switch back to DSL is cause I'd get my concession rate, but even then....in my "hood" Cable whips DSL speed of where I used to live.

It does help that I live in a place where almost everyone is elderly and either pc illit......or more interested in game shows.....which leaves more space in between cable channels for my precious DATA!!!! :woot: hahahahahaaaa!!!

Livin it up in Calif ;-)

Chrisang

Guest kenzo

kenzo...you really need to compare our (UK) prices with US prices of around 5 - 7 yeras ago, 'cos that is how far behind we are here in the UK. Everything to do with 'puters and telecommunications is more expensive in the UK, we haven't got the huge market that the US has, so the lack of real competition and relatively low volume sales keeps prices up!. They don't call us "Rip-off" Britian for nuttin'. Being an Island (and a small one at that) has some advantages, but, many more disadvantages ;)

Sure, was interested to know as I was told that quite alot of people remain on 56k's in the US down to the high cost of DSL and cable. Appears that what I was told was in fact incorrect. :huh:

I'm paying $12.95/mo. for a reliable dialup connection which usually nets me a whopping "in excess of a 52,000 bps" connection speed. Cable around here (Armstrong - Zoom) is rated 2 ways, you choose your speed: Zoom 100 & 500 (speeds not differentiated at their site), from an extra $26.99 tacked onto your Cable bill to an extra $39.95/mo.

Since I've never had Cable internet access, I truly don't know what I'm missing, but the current price is right for me and I'm happy..... :P -kd5-

Out whereI live I can't get DSL and cable want's $60. a month, I get dial up for $20. plus a discount from work and I'm paying $14. a month unlimited for dial up

I am paying $44/month for Cable and I am happy with it :P

For all you people who say that you are paying $20+ for dial up, I really think youre overpaying and getting ripped off :blink::mrgreen:

I agree aeroman. Current entry-level dialup access with PeoplePC is $15.95 ($12.95 pre-paid) and it's pretty reliable. There are many others available for less, but reliability is always a key issue with me. There is no reason in the world anyone should ever have to pay any more than that for dialup internet access. AOL, MSN, Earthlink (etc.) be d*mned!!! People don't have to pay that much for dialup! But they do..... -kd5-

I only have to pay 11/month for my cable connection :P But I'm a cable guy so i get a discount. Go get a job for a broadband co. Makes all kinds of things cheaper :)

I was paying $14.95 but the isp offered to put on a spam filter for an extra .50 for now it's $15.45 and average speed of 52. I must say it's pretty reliable and the spam filter is heavenly! Went from about 3 to 4 hundred emails a week to about 50 legitable ones! Hallelujah! :woot:

hi,

My connection is alright, for the area I live in newayz..

1MB download/128Kb upload...$34.95 a month

but I have absolutely the yukkiest ISP in the whole world!

COX!

They are soooo bad! I get lag spikes like evry 2 seconds in all my games... :(

have told them about it, but they keep insisting its not their faukt...all my friends who use cox have the same problem too! theyre even considering reporting cox to the BBB!

I'm paying $49/mo for a reliable 1500/128 ADSL connection. Special offer first 6 months only $39. :)

Guest Deuces Wild

ATTBI cable, $43/month, 3500Kb/s download, 281 Kb/s upload.

Local dsl, same price, 1/2 the speed, no deal. We chose cable.

:blank:

Mmmm US$50/Mo - up to 2500Kbs D/L, & 128Kbs U/L.

But, gee, it's slow now, the Americans are obviously still awake.

I'm a bit annoyed at always getting a red dot for ping times (214) but, heck, I'm in Oz.

:shifty::mrwinky:

* 'ya could note here that the cable connection comes with cable service - I have a satellite dish so cable makes no sense to me ...

I don't need 2 of stations I don't watch 1 of !!!

* 'ya could note here that the cable connection comes with cable service - I have a satellite dish so cable makes no sense to me ...

I don't need 2 of stations I don't watch 1 of !!!

Thats not completely true....cable can be provided by your cable TV company but you are not required or forced to purchase cable TV service in order to have cable internet.

Infact if you purchase cable internet and the provider is also a cable TV company then you would end up getting free tv cable since its the same signal is used for tv and internet :mrgreen::P