Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Can I Run Two Pcs Of One Cable?

Yes But it depends on if your isp will allow it Mine (comcast says up to five but no servers) You can use a cable splitter ( Ihave done this but a router maybe a better way to go I have never used a router can't tell you a thing about them

Thanks, bear (again!) Is the splitter inserted on the output side of the modem, or do I need two modems?

I already had the spliter on the main line one was for my computer the other for my tv I just used the tv one not sure what will happen if you have two computers and a tv never did that

I have cablevision. The only alllow one computer. HOWEVER......... they define that as "1 windows computer" And they support that config only. I have quite a few computers in the house for my seti stuff. So what I do is this.......I say to myself "They support one and I shall *personally* support the rest". Cable modem to my Netgear firewall/ to my router or switch/ then out to my computers. Don't use the USB port. Go ethernet. You can run as many computers as your heart desires....well up to 256 of them anyway. If you need to use more then 256 computers at home I want to see pictures :) If you don't have cable TV in the house you can pay an extra $30.00 or so and run a single cable from the pole to your modem. Having no breaks in the cable may or may not give you better performance. Any questions just let me know.....

I wish I had saved it before, it took me forever to find it again :mrgreen:

Well if ya just happen to lose it again I saved it and even saved the old fashioned way I wrote it down in my notebook

Go get a router. No you cant run two cable modems in one house. Its possible, but the cable co's don't allow it. I know in Minnesota we have a handful of folks that do have two, but they are relics from WAY back when MediaOne did allow it under certain conditions.

Guest wellbuilt3

Well I don't no about all this stuff but, I have Comcast, I bought a router and wire for 3 computers at my house.

1 you have to be sure all computers have a internet card 10/100

2 you need the router

3 shut all computers off

4 shut modem off

5 take wire out, from modem and put to in of router

6 connect all computers to the router

7 plug modem only in

8 after modem light are all on and running turn on router and computers

9 all should work fine!! Thats it. I have done this at 3 friends houses and works great! It is not hard at all and you don't need to be a genuis.

The hardest part is running the wires.

They have wireless routers and stuff but I have had a few people tell me they have had problems with interferance frpm phonres and things?? I have never tryed the wireless way so can't say one way or the other.

Cost for Router from $30 to $70 I got mine a Belkin for $35 after rebate. It pays to shop around!! My brother got a NetGear for $42

10/100 cards are cheap. I got 1 for $5 after rebate and it is a netgear. My daughter has a Laptop and had to get a pcmia card at a cost of about $50

You can buy wire from 3 feet to 500 feet. If you want to do a good job and have the no how you can buy bulk cable and ends and a crimp tool, and make coustom lenths. Also good for small holes thur walls and floors as you will put ends on after the hole.

You can buy permade wire also. But you will need a much biger hole to fit the end thur the wall or floor. I have bought a 25 footer and a 50 footer. I think 50 footer was around $30??

Any who once the wires are run and the 10/100 cards are installed you can hook the rest up inabout 15 min.

I hope I was not to long winded!! Good luck

Guest mhsmd

Definitely get a router. You can have all the computers you want with router-assigned IP addresses that will all look like one IP address to the cable provider. You plug the router into the cable modem, and then you have a wireless/ethernet network right there at home.

The best flexibility is a router like the LinkSys WRT-54G. You get four wired Ethernet 100 ports and wireless b/g. I advise people not even to discuss "how many computers" with the cable company. They will try to sell you their own home networking system. Better to do yourself. And, home networking lets you share files and printers as well as the internet connection.

Go get a router. No you cant run two cable modems in one house.

Umm the question was can I run two Pc's off of one cable :mrgreen:

Not two modems off one cable :mrgreen:

Everyone seems to agree on the router route tho

To answer your question bro, Yes you can run 2 or more Pc's off 1 cable, as for the router yes get that also.

lol thats the answr I gave in the second post(except the router part never used one)