Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moon

Posting Copyrighted Articles

Firstly, I object to being given instructions in a 'closed' thread so I've created this one to allow members to air their own views on copyright.

Secondly I should like to know, Ax, if the Pit has received any threats regarding its content or if your closed thread is simply a result of your own opinions and compliant vigilance. I ask this because freedom of speech is important, I hope, to members and your post, by nature of it being closed, is somewhat uncomfortable.

If we can discuss copyright law in an open thread we are all guilty of breach of copyright just by viewing copyrighted material with a computer. The information is copied to RAM and , technically, that is a breach. Technically, you could be sued for surfing any copyrighted material so why make life easy for lawyers ?

Lastly, the case you quote is from 1998, hardly topical stuff, and doesn't appear to have set any legal precedents. If I can quote from its conclusion;

'Assuming a standard such as this applies, defendants have failed to show that copying entire news articles is essential to convery the opinions and criticisms of visitors to their site.'

..it seems that the good guys lost because they ' failed to show their posts were essential' . That's no reason to assume that other defendants in other cases would fail for the same reason. It's a 'case by case' thing. So, assuming that you enjoy 'walking the line' a little yourself from time to time, aren't you being a bit of a nanny ? :)

:huh:

Note your comments Moon, and can't necessarily argue the logic, but, do you really want to have to have the pit and the poster win a court case over any items posted in here. Doesn't seem like something that would be fun, or cheap, to me.

Just by viewing articles presented on the web by their author, doesn't constitute a breach even if it is copied into RAM (i.e. not "stored"), public disemination of that article does.

:blank:

Wish I could type

Moon,

Your response has been duly noted. But it doesn't change the rules here or the law. There are countless laws in the world that I disagree with, but I live with them, as I have no other choice. And there are rules on this forum I disagree with, and I live with those as well. So if you want to complain, have at it my friend. I may complain from time to time myself. But it doesn't change anything. It's just the way it goes...

Freedom of speech. I think all AX was saing was use discursion, 2 men dont fight in a house on fire. After all we ar just chicken's. :mrgreen:

There was a snippet I wanted to copy and paste here,,but this guys a lawyer. :P  :mrgreen: v

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

That's a great link, Volt. What he said may be written differently that what I wrote, but it basically says the same thing. At least as far as the subject of posting copyrighted articles is concerned.

But he also covers other things as well, such as fair use of images, etc. which many of us are in violation of. So I'm going to change my avatar, and remove the image of Chris DeGarmo that I do not have permission to use. Now I have one of my own photos.

That doesn't seem necessary, Ax. Chris DeGarmo would probably be flattered by your use of the pic. My point was- Why make a fuss if nobody else has ? :)

That doesn't seem necessary, Ax. Chris DeGarmo would probably be flattered by your use of the pic. My point was- Why make a fuss if nobody else has ? :)

That's like stealing some candy from a store and writing it off as "no one has made a fuss about it yet, so it must be alright." While I don't agree with some of these laws, I have to abide by them- that's the price of living here. And if the pit has rules about putting copyrighted material here, and the gov. has rules (laws) about it too, why make trouble? If you'll review the TOS you agreed to when you signed up ( I can't find it, but I know enough of forum TOS), you are bound to these rules as a member here, plus you are bound by the laws of your country (I assume the US). I'm sure Ax and the other mods will tell you if you do, but please don't make unnecessary trouble for the Pit, as I like it here :mrgreen:

Thanks for putting me straight, Jander. I understand the rules now. Geez, I've been such a dummy. I hope I haven't caused any trouble for the Pit. :mrgreen:

I made a post in the avatar section a while back - certain companies will not even let you use their images on cakes !!!

I wouldn't remove it unless the "tigger police" come knocking ...

I wish everyone would just shutup and drop the damn issue.

If anything gets to far out of line I'm sure something will be said.

Untill then,,do your best!!