Sign in to follow this  
randoza

Defragging My Comp

Ok bear with me people. I'm pretty computer illiterate. I have run the Pitstop test and it says to increase my computers performance I should defrag right away. The problem I have is the last two times I defragged my comp it messed up my computer and I had to reformat. It always gave me an error of missing DLL's or something. I dont even know what those are. I just don't wanna defrag and mess up my comp. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with my comp?

This is a common problem with computers which are never defragged. They won't defrag after a while. I'd try a program like diskeeper lite. Do a google search on it, download it and run it a few times. It should fix it :) Good luck.

maybe somewhere in your 98 disk, it can reinstall the defrager, but I would try getting a 3rd party software such as diskeeper lite first

Ok...i think i'll try a third party defragger. Question I have now is how do I back up my computer? Like If the Defragger messes up my computer can I restore it to like it was exactly before defrag? I have a cd writer so can I back up my comp on CD's??

i would back up all of the file you may want in the future, ie docs, mp3, favorites, whatnot...and as long as you have the installation disks of the software, you shouldn't have anyting to worry about

Run a small program like VoptXP (http://www.goldensoft.com ) ...

Then run O&O aor diskeeper after that... IT will take MUCH less time.

VoptXP will only take a min or two. Then run the other, bigger defragmenting tools.

:: Stay away from Windows Default Defragmnting program. It's garbage.

:worship: : all4sma :

Yah i got that VoptXp. I haven't ran it yet cause I am gonna back up all my files first. I dont wanna chance the defragger messing up my comp and me losing everything again. Thanks for your help people!

Yah i got that VoptXp.  I haven't ran it yet cause I am gonna back up all my files first.  I dont wanna chance the defragger messing up my comp and me losing everything again.  Thanks for your help people!

I don't think you should worry about it messing up any files.

:: I have used diskeeper for years,and voptxp for a few months now... I've never had any problem with them messing an files up.

If you'r really paranoid about that kind of thing, then so be it... Backup all you want, but I would reccommend not taking the time to do so, and just defrag it.

Edited by all4sma

all4sma....I used both the VoptXP and Diskeeper and it didn't mess up my files. Thanks for your help.

Awesome. Enjoy 'em. You're welcome. :)

:worship: :all4sma :

I can't believe I forgot that :eek: :welcome:

usually, the disk defragmenter doesn't mess up files, I don't know why this is in your case, tho

usually, the disk defragmenter doesn't mess up files, I don't know why this is in your case, tho...just remember to use it at least once a week :-)

[...] just remember to [... defrag] it at least once a week :-)

:shifty: Edited by all4sma

I just d/l and used VoptXP thanks all4sma

It puts diskeeper to shame all I can say is zzzzzzzooooooommmmm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooommmmm

I just d/l and used VoptXP thanks all4sma

It puts diskeeper to shame all I can say is zzzzzzzooooooommmmm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooommmmm

:woot::woot::woot:

Enjoy it.

:: Now when the trial runs out just reinstall it over the expired copy, and it works fine. :)