Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ax Slinger

Nightclub Fire

At least 96 killed in nightclub inferno

WEST WARWICK, Rhode Island (CNN) -- Ninety-six people died Thursday in a fast-moving fire at a Rhode Island nightclub, Gov. Don Carcieri said Friday afternoon, adding that only a handful of the bodies have been identified.

With 35 people in critical and serious conditions, the governor said it would not surprise him if the death toll were to rise above 100.

This is a classic example of why bands should not have pyrotechnics displays... Much less indoors... :(

What a sad disaster. :angry::(:(

Its not about the music anymore. I thought taking a guitar and smashing it on stage. The band will be financially responsible I assume. :(:(

Done correctly they can be alot of fun indoors...

I know. We used to do it. It was a big part of the show. But we quit because of the costs involved, and how potentially dangerous it was. But when we did, no matter where we were, the condition of the building, etc., I always flatly refused to use them unless there were adequate safety precautions observed.

There had to be plenty of ventilation because fireworks produce a lot of smoke, someone on each side of the stage with a fire hose ready just in case, and many other things these guys didn't seem to think of. And one of the biggest requirements was enough insurance to cover the cost of replacing the entire club we were in and medical care for every single person inside. The costs and requirements just kept going up and up.

That proved to be more expensive than we could afford. It was costing us 1\3 of our income just for insurance. So we decided pyros were best used only for outdoor shows. And after one of our band members got burned pretty badly, we stopped using flashpods on the stage and went to aerial displays only.

To even do that we had to pay for a fire crew with a pumper on site, and have all sorts of permits, have the rig inspected before and after shows... Sure, it's fun to watch, but it's dangerous and it costs a fortune to put on a show with pyros, so after awhile we just stopped doing it all together.

And if Great White was adequately covered for what happened, I will be very surprised. Since it has been reported they didn't have a permit, and supposedly even permission from the club to use pyros, you can bet there will be some serious lawsuits coming from this.

I've just seen video footage made by a guy who , according to the BBC, was in the club specifically to make a film about safety in nightclubs. As this guy is filming he is backing towards the door and some moron on stage is lighting stuff with the ceiling just a few feet above his head.

Ax did all the band members make it out? I could have sworn i saw a scroll at the bottom of the tube while catching that on CNN, that the lead guitarist wasnt accounded for?

CNN's website still says Ty Longley is listed as missing... Other than that I don't know. They are running the same story over and over on CNN Headline News on TV. But the website has been updated since my original post. Although at first glance the story doesn't appear to have changed all that much, there are parts that are updated.

Nightclub inferno: Seven victims identified

Letting off fireworks in a wooden building sounds crazy to me. Every Bonfire Night we have a huge firework display in the school grounds where I work and we always have a pyrotechnics engineer present. You just can't be too careful, in the wrong hands it's an accident waiting to happen.

I had seen in one eyewitness report that the flames caught some egg-crate foam on fire, which seemed wrong to me. When I started using acoustic egg-crate foam for silencing PCs the first thing I did was test it for fire resistance. The stuff I was using would only burn if you were directly applying a flame to it. As soon as the flame was taken away it would go out. It wouldn't burn by itself.

The owner of a club that Great White played last week said that the band set off pyro there without permission and as soon as the owner saw it he ran up to their manager and told them to stop!

Some of that stuff is really nasty,,I was working on a foam shedder that caught fire due to getting plugged up and friction set it off,,it would have killed ya in a smaller building.

Polyurethane foam is flammable and may emit toxic fumes when burned. Do not use near open flame. Check local

codes for allowed use. Manufacturer assumes no liability.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/foam_sto...poly_sw.htm?d=6

I've just seen video footage made by a guy who , according to the BBC, was in the club specifically to make a film about safety in nightclubs. As this guy is filming he is backing towards the door and some moron on stage is lighting stuff with the ceiling just a few feet above his head.

Hasn't this been shown in the U.S. ? You can clearly see the ceiling go up seconds after the guy lights his stuff. The cameraman was interviewed on the radio and said that he saw the danger and headed for the exit even before the ceiling caught fire. Unfortunately, not many of the clubbers followed him.

Yea I saw it,,still can't get how that thing went up in flames that fast!! it was like it was soaked with kerosene.

Personally I think a small club or any indoor building is not the place for "fireworks" or "pyrotechnics"

I worked for a stage lighting company for 1 1/2 years (Theatrics), we did not use, nor did we ever subcontract out and kind of pyrotechnics to be used indoors.

It is just a stupid thing to do.

I think the remaining band members and anyone else involved should be charged with "negligent homicide" not manslaughter or anything else. If the club owner was aware of what they were going to do then he should be charged right along with them. Permit or no permit for the pyro stuff, it is the ultimate responsibilty of the band to ensure they provide a "safe" show given the type of enviroment they are in.

Common sense says when you have an 8 or 10 foot high ceiling you do not use pyrotechnics!! It's very sad that 100 people are dead because of the bands obvious negligence.

Guest Deuces Wild

Do all bands carry insurance? Do the clubs require it from the bands?

That would probably be a state by state issue.

I say screw the insurance put them in jail for a very long time, they can sing the blues while they are there. :mrsgreen:

it`s sad that so many people died

from someones stuipity!!

and on the other side the club owners insurance

will not cover any of it because of the pyro`s used

as far as bands having insurance most smaller bands

don`t .most of them don`t incorp. so they can be insured.

i still own a sound company and i keep insurance on all my equipment

and have to carry lib.on top of it .to protect my self

incase some one wants to climb on the speakers and they fall over on someone .caused by someone else and i get sued because it my equipment

the insurance keeps going up .without a cause .the company has you corned not much you can do but pay it.

at the end of the year i`m selling out the big stuff.the boys are going to buy the company from me . i`ll keep the small systems for myself for when i play out again .but every thing else will be gone at the end of the year .the last contract 12/31/03 will be the end .

Do all bands carry insurance? Do the clubs require it from the bands?

In 25 years of owning my own business which was based on several bands, we were never required to have insuranse ourselves, but we did anyway. But there was no way that insurance would cover anything like that. Ours would cover accidents on 20 people, and only if we were found to be personally responsible. The rest of the time, it was on the place we were playing.

But when I retired and was selling the business, I was doing my books and looked over how much I had paid in the previous years for liability insurance that I never ever needed. I thought at the time that it was a waste of money. But after seeing that, I thought what if something like that had happened at one of our shows... Can you say "Goodbye retirement fund"?

I saved my money for 30 years to retire at 40, and even at that money is not all that plentiful now. I have enough to live comfortably for many years, as long as I don't over do it. But if that had happened at one of our shows it would have wiped out my life savings in seconds. I know it would because in 1988 my two year old son was knocked into a campfire by a puppy he was playing with, and was burned pretty bad.

The resulting hospital bills were over a million dollars, and that almost wiped me out. He had surgery over 50 times, and was in the hospital for 6 months. Fortunately I have good insurance and only had to pay 10% of the bill. All these years later, my son is a typical 17 year old, and you'd almost never think anything like that had happened to him when he was two, unless you happened to see without a shirt on.

And that was just a campfire...

WOW what a story. I am glad your son went thru that terrible time okay. What a time that would have been for your family. Were you on the tour then?

My prayers go out to the victims and their families. How awful.

Yeah I was, and seperated from his drunk mother, who didn't even bother to call me. We were already headed towards divorce, and that clinched it.