Sign in to follow this  
TorreyIsLDS

System Reboots When I Click On Shut Down...

i just built this pc, ive had a few probs with it like some progys freezing durng installation..now it seemz as if everytime i click on shutdown, the system reboots..please help. thx.

Don't know if it applies but, from:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;311806

SYMPTOMS When you shut down your Windows XP-based computer, your computer may restart instead of shutting down, and you may see a blue screen for just a moment before the computer restarts.

CAUSE The behavior can occur if the following conditions exist:

You have "automatically restart" selected.

The Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 or Direct CD 5.0 program is installed on your computer.

RESOLUTION To resolve this issue, contact Roxio or view the following Roxio Web site to download and install the updated driver for Easy CD Creator 5.0 for Windows XP:

http://www.roxio.com

hey simplico,

i dont see a BSOD before it restarts. it just proceeds to shutdown like normal, but it restarts instead of shutting down, even though it says 'windows is shutting down'.

do you all need a techexpress link?

found this on the net

had the same problem on a Gigabyte Motherboard that was upgraded from Win98 to Windows XP Pro. I downloaded the newest BIOS update and flashed it to the system. I then pulled the motherboard battery out and put the clear BIOS jumper on. I powered the system back up and selected setup. I loaded failsafe defaults and then shut down. I put the battery back in and removed the clear BIOS jumper and the problem was solved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this:

Advanced Power Management (APM) can cause this also.

click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Power Options, select 'Never' under the Power Schemes tab, Restart.

if still not getting a normal shutdown, try this registry tweak to get power off

on shutdown;

click Start, Run, type: regedit

drill down to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

click on the "Winlogon",

move to the right pane and right-click "PowerdownAfterShutdown" in the "Name" column,

select "Modify" in the pop-up box,

in the dialog box change "Value data" from 0 to 1.

Reboot.

thx cougar..those tips sound right...

im at web mastering right now, will be back at about 4pm central, 2 hrs from now, so Ill be trying those tipz!

and also, my HDD is recognized as a SCSI...dont know why, but it sure IS spinning fast, so afst that soime programs freeze during installation!

anyone know why?

I don't know what is causing your reboots. If you disable the automatic rebooting, you may get a specific BSOD and error message that will help find the cause. Right click my computer, click properties/adavnced/startup and recovery/settings. In the system failure section, uncheck the box next to automatically restart, then hit ok, etc.

If all else fails and as a last resort, I would try a reinstall with the following BIOS settings.

Plug and Play Operating System = no/disabled

ACPI ( Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) = yes/enabled

APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) = yes/enabled

edit: forgot the startup and recovery in the path disabling auto.reboot

Edited by simplico

ok, update. my system again, after reinstalling windows, is restarting when i shut down. It is followed by a :filtered:' BSOD that says something about nv_agp.sys_Address F9E46DAB Close at F9E46000, DateStamp 3d7903e1....what could this mean? it also suggests for me to disable caching or shadowing in BIOS. Ive already disabled shadowing...not sure what disabling caching can do so i wont do it till you all say its fine...

p.s. ive noticed this problem always occurs after i install nForce2 drivers...

pci geforce2 mx400 right herre.

yes. i tried the d00ds registry tweaks, didnt work. tried his other suggestions(acpi, power options), none worked.

this is really :filtered: me off. great system, but wont freaking shut down right!

heres the BSOD info: STOP: 0x0000007E

please help! :help:

p.s. this is an nvidia related prob, im pretty sure. think problem will be solved if i get a radeon?

Edited by sk8bloke87

yes :(

tried 30.82 still didnt work...im thinking it might be the nForce2 IDE controller driver thingy, when I installed the nForce2 unified driver package, it told me that driver had not been tested by MS for compatibility...and that page you showed me a link of lists that as one of the posssible causes...

ok, i found the file thats related to my problem in windows/system32/drivers. its called nv_agp.sys. what should i do with it? and after running 'sigverif', I found one unsigned driver, which was called 'nvidesm.sys'...i dont think its related to my problem though..so what should i do? move them to a temporary folder and start up in safe mode and try to isolate the problem?

:blink:

Windows XP - Unified Driver Package

Version: 2.03

File Size: 29.5 MB

Release Date: January 30, 2003

WHQL Certified

Driver Versions

Audio driver 3.17 (WHQL)

Audio utilities 3.17

Network driver 3.13 (WHQL)

GART driver 2.78 (WHQL)

SMBus driver 2.75 (WHQL)