Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whtknight

Boycotting French Products..

This is a editorial from a local news station, (copy/pasted) I wil then post my respones...What do you guys think??

GOOD-BYE TO THE INGRATES

As Secretary of State Colin Powell so eloquently and comprehensively identified the existence of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction before the U.N. Security Council, a small number of delusional nations continued to hide behind weapons inspections as the solution to all evil. But their position is a smoke-screen, not one of viable alternative. It's all about money, and the selfish concerns of a few nations, protecting their investments and their continued lucrative trade with a wealthy, murdering tyrant.

Speaking of which, let's talk about the French, who, by their recent actions, have displayed monumental gall (historic reference intended). While we're quick to thank the French for their help with the American Revolution, for the Statue of Liberty, and for the great price on the Louisiana Purchase, France's opposition to America on Iraq has effectively slam-dunked any lingering gratitude. The French, it seems, have conveniently developed amnesia. Their memory, like their backbone, has again turned to jello. Unbelievably, they seem to have forgotten what appeasing Hitler got us. By threatening to veto an American-led Security Council ultimatum, the French have managed to forget about the two world wars, when the United States and Britain restored freedom to Europe. When, in the 1940's, America's best and bravest won back the skies, and stormed ashore at Normandy, to rescue their pompous, whiney French butts. And speaking of vetos, what do you suppose would've happened, posed the Wall Street Journal, if the U.S. had decided to veto D-Day!

The French government ought to be ashamed of itself. France still owes us, big-time. This obvious lack of gratitude for the tens of thousands of allied lives sacrificed on their behalf is despicable. Americans must immediately stop buying all French products, and for heaven's sake, cancel any plans to visit that nation. The sudden and dramatic loss of American dollars should be the smelling salts needed to snap France out of its current case of the stupids.

As our President has said, in the war on terrorism, you're either with us, or against us. Short-sighted and reality-challenged, France has made its choice. For now, at least, they are an American ally no longer. So we join, then, in saying to the self-absorbed and profoundly insufferable French: good-bye and good riddance.

Im all for this and have been since all this crap began. P1ss on those b@stards. We give them freedom and we get nothing but stabbed in the back!! Im sure some of you have heard and maybe even seen that alot of restaurants are now serving "freedom fries" instead of french fries. I love that idea! :lol: Im also all for boycotting products made from China. China is literally killing America and taking TENS of THOUSANDS of American jobs. Its hard to boycott things from China since alot of our crap comes from there but its really sad when you go to buy a American flag to show support for you country and it says made in China. :(

You may want to "show support" for the USA but what is really happening is you are supporting China. :(

Before anyone agrees or disagrees with boycotting french imports please read this short article from arabicnews.com

Arabicnews.com Article

i guess it must really suck too that a lot of u.s. businesses really do want to get into and tap the chinese market also. :rolleyes: and then why not boycott american businesses who send their work to mexico? boycott taco bell everyone!!!! it sells mexican food! remember nafta? what about that? dude, you need to just chill out. if you look at it, it ain't the other countries killing american workers, it's american businesses. ;)

And today the French are allowing that Mugabee geezer into there country, which is shoving 2 more fingers up to the rest of the world (in my opinion).

Keith

Guest DaveB

I wondered how long this would take boycot the french? yes with pleasure

Big Bussiness is killing americans? Yes but Big Bussiness is not doing anything that any person has not done for years find the easiest way to do it. When you go to buy a high end item such as a car do you buy the first one you see of course not you shop for the best deal. So if big bussiness goes over seas to make products it is not only because of cheap labor but also because of or tax structure. I know someone will say they get all kinds of breaks sure they do but they also pay the lions share of taxes even with those breaks.

I am not in favor of having to buy things made over seas when so many people here in the states have been laid off or just can't find work, but untill someone or something changes the way or goverment taxes big bussiness and the private sector then thats the way it will be.

Just got done building a PC with French made graphics card (Hercules Guilimont), Chinese made hard drives (Maxtor), Case was made in China also(Antec knock off). I will order more of the same parts next week.

Boycotts are utterly worthless, they do absolutely no good at all, and show about as much adult intelligence as the little kid in the school yard who won't share his bubble gum.

They don't work for one reason and one reason only, most americans either don't care where things are made, or don't read the label to find out where things are made.

If you wish not to purchase products from them I say thats great! Some products I buy must carry the made in the USA tag, or I won't buy them.

But calling for boycotts is laughable.

As far as the French are concerned, yes they are looking out for their interests. They are opposed to a war and are taking that stance. While I may not agree with all of their motives/reasons I think they show more backbone then the countries who are opposed but simply act as pupets to the US, or the ones who are willing to compromise their beliefs, for "money" promised by the US if they support us in the UN.

I think it is shamless for any country to abandon it's principle beliefs out of fear of what the US may do, or because they are promised money if they support us. Here in this country, that is called bribery, and cooersion. Yet we do it freely in the international scene.

So while I may not like the political ideals of some countries. I commend them for standing up for what they believe in, having a bigger and stronger backbone then most of the other puppets, and for not commiting their young men to a war they don't believe in.

On a side note, I for one am tired of everyone using WW2 as an example. We sat idly by, and watched our allies, get attacked conquered, murdered.... and did nothing to help until we ourselves were attacked. We never would have done a thing if it were not for the Japanese attacking us. We did not go and fight to "prevent what happened in Europe, we only went when it directly effected us.

Using that as an example of how we helped doesn't cut it. In the end it worked out, but if you think we were there to prevent all of it and to help the French then you are sadly mistaken.

We financed Saddam and his so called weapons of Mass destruction, and now we want the world to help us take away what we gave him in the first place.

Trying to force countries like France or Germany to bend to our ideals when they don't believe in them is wrong. We can not and should not expect a country to commit their young men and women in unifrom to a conflict they do not believe in. Whether we think their beliefs are right or wrong is irrelevent. They stand up for what they beleive in and whether we like it or not, we should respect that.

In 1945, Ho Chi Minh's communist troops captured and subdued the belligerent Japanese garrisons which had ocuppied portions of Viet Nam under French pleasure throughout the Second World War. They held them for a period of weeks until the Australians came in relief.

At the cessation of hostilities, Ho's ad hoc government invited American industry into their country with the view of rebuilding the political economy on an American model. His only request: That Viet Nam become independant of France. Roosevelt accepted.

In the ensuing weeks, the Allied powers scrambled to form an alliance which would prevent disasters such as the one they had just survived. The outcome was NATO. But the price of including France in this new-found alliance was the French insistence that Indochina (Viet Nam, Cambodia and Laos) remain French colonies. Roosevelt recanted his promises to the Viet Namese and accepted the French demands in return for their promise to stand by their allies in the form of becoming a member of NATO. So began the Viet Nam war.

Over a period of years, the French and the Viet Namese engaged in sustained guerilla warfare for which the French were ill-prepared. Finally, in 1954, the Viet Namese slaughtered a mass of French troops at Dien Ben Phu in a battle that the French were certain they'd win. After that, the French had no taste for their colonial adventures in South-East Asia. They were only too glad to hand over the mess they'd made to the Americans who were rapidly becoming the dominant world power. We all know what proceeded from there.

The kicker is that within three years the French govrnment withdrew from NATO, leaving America holding the bag while France enjoyed the protection of the alliance it pretened to subscribe to at the end of the Second World War. Moreover -- and I think this is a fact not many people realise -- to this day, France chooses not to be a member of NATO.

I

I despise France and all it stands for,,but agree boycotts are ineffective.

We will just have to wait untill the next time we have to go bail them out of something for them to see anything our way,,no big deal,,it will happen.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/050/nati..._on_Iraq+.shtml

Many officials in Eastern Europe say their experience behind the Iron Curtain has convinced them that it is necessary to confront tyranny in Iraq.

The move infuriated Paris, and at the end of a European Union meeting in Brussels on Monday, Chirac lashed out at the Eastern Europeans, calling their public support for Washington ''childish and irresponsible'' and warned the move could jeopardize their chances of joining the European Union.

Now I'm REALLY confused... :blink:

Boycott France...

Boycott China..

Restaurants serving "Freedom" fries.

But..but....the French brought back the fries from.....China....

What to do...what to do... :woot:

I think I'll go get a Miller Lite, as least I know that's made here... :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Guest fragged one

Q: how many french tropps does it take to defend paris?

A: unknown. it's never been tried.

i don't dislike france because i disagree with their views, i dislike france because they are obstructionists that will do what they can to stop us in the interest of big business and oil. (yes, i'm talking about france) france has almost 6 billion dollars invested in one of the largest middle-east oil fields they hope to build in iraq. not to mention that while the french aren't very adept at using their weapons, they make very good ones, and almost half of their arms industry is tied to saddam hussein.

On a side note, I for one am tired of everyone using WW2 as an example. We sat idly by, and watched our allies, get attacked conquered, murdered.... and did nothing to help until we ourselves were attacked.

that's funny, bruce. because that's exactly what france did.

now that i think about it, the french didn't give military assistance in the revolutionary war until later on, so they could be sure we'd win. there's nothing wrong with that, it's a good strategy.

i think that quote is a good example of what the french are doing wrong. they are not realizing the faults of the past, and wish to sit idly, no, they wish to obstruct any attempt to dismantle hussein's regime.

Boycotts are utterly worthless, they do absolutely no good at all, and show about as much adult intelligence as the little kid in the school yard who won't share his bubble gum.

wait a minute, you're from the boston area??

The Boston Tea Party was a protest of British tax policies. It came in the midst of a boycott of English tea during which the East India Company, which owned the tea, had seen its profits plummet in the wake of a boycott of tea in the colonies. Consumption in the colonies had fallen from 900,000 lbs. in 1769 to 237,000 lbs. just 3 years later.

now, i fully understand that the america of the mid-late 1700's is not the same america as now, and that americans are largely apathetic in our time. but, boycotting is an american tradition as a way of showing disatisfaction and contempt for companies and countries around the world. the boston tea party is only one example.

We financed Saddam and his so called weapons of Mass destruction, and now we want the world to help us take away what we gave him in the first place.

not only has the united states sold weapons to saddam, germany, russia, and france still sell weapons to saddam. the difference here? united states=used to.......russia, france, germany=still do. not a single dime has been made off of american munitions sold to iraq in over a decade. seems like we have our priorities straight.

i fully support a boycott on french and german goods. not because they disagree with me, but because i disagree with them.

Kind of off color but funny!...

On one Simpsons episode, either Grounds keeper Willy or Grandpa Simpson ( can't remember which) were substitute teaching and called the French .... "A bunch of cheese eating surrender monkeys!"

I laughed myself to tears :jester::jester:

Adam

This was sent to me yesterday...........

Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:43 AM

Subject: FW: Ross Perot On France

When advised that France had announced it would not assist,

become allied with or otherwise support the US in any war on

Iraq, Ross Perot reportedly said:

"Having to go to war without France is sorta like having to

go deer hunting without an accordion."

This was sent to me yesterday...........

Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:43 AM

Subject: FW: Ross Perot On France

When advised that France had announced it would not assist,

become allied with or otherwise support the US in any war on

Iraq, Ross Perot reportedly said:

"Having to go to war without France is sorta like having to

go deer hunting without an accordion."

roflmao!!! :rocks::tup: v

I'll let you guys into a little secret... this France not liking the US thing, it aint new!, as most of you know I spend a quite a bit of time in France, especially the South and to be honest, you aint flavour of the month and you haven't been since a certain July 4 a "few years ago", and you never will be. You have to know the French to know where they are coming from, first you have to realise that France and the UK have been falling out for around the last 500 years, both the French and the UK had designs on the USA, we both got our butts kicked, we got over it, they never have!.

What really irritates the French is that they see you as the "Young Pretenders", they are perpetualy jealous of your "SuperPower status", and always will do everything in their power to to undermine any US initative. They are desperately trying to find a role in the world of today!.

Think back to the Gulf War, How many French soldiers were involved...None...the only contingent they sent was the "Legion d'Etrangeres", or "The French Foreign Legion" and French Nationals ( except for certain commanders) are not allowed to join...anybody else in the world, yes, French, Non!!. Legionaires are only given French Nationality, when they leave, after ten years service

La Legion D'Etrangeres (Foreigners' Legion)

So, at the end of the day, You have good buddies over here in the UK, we almost speak the same lingo, I shouldn't worry too much about the French, they will never change...and it doesn't really matter...they screwed up Indo-China for you, when you got aliies like that, who needs enemies? ;)

Bruce - I totally disagree with you "They don't work for one reason and one reason only, most americans either don't care where things are made, or don't read the label to find out where things are made." I think that that is 2 reasons.:lol:

Most Americans or anyone else in a market driven economy will buy what they believe to be the best product for the best price (assuming some need for the product). That is why a boycott won't work. If it were taxed greater than the value people would stop buying and start tossing the product overboard.

While I acknowledge that France has significant financial ties and therefore motives I am not convinced that they ever moved from the Gaulist position of being a colonial power (I refer more to their govt. than to their people). It seems to me that they wish to have undue influence over the European Community (and the rest of the world as well). I don't fault them for this, I don't understand it but I think that it is the case.

Cheers CD, This place is like the "Blue Light Zapper" in a kitchen.......I just can't help myself.....I've not really been away, I just wasn't up to posting, If I take my time, I might just get a few posts in!! :lol:

Cheers f,

Ever so glad to see you back, if only in passing.

Anyway, I like your observations. Specifically: The French have issues regarding their historic loss to the Briitish, which colours their attitutude toward all alien powers. More specifically: Having failed at colonisation, the French hold the delusional belief that they could have done a better job than the British. Their foreign policy is predicated on the hallucination that the chance they squandered in the past is still available.

I

Their foreign policy is predicated on the hallucination that the chance they squandered in the past is still available.

ROFL !

And by going against the EU ban on Mugabe travelling, and inviting him to Paris, they see for themselves a chance of alignment with the dregs of Africa.

:)

Hello Frang, (hope that's not impolite) :huh: or should it be pommie? :erm::blink:

You echo my earlier thoughts, but with a far more person experience.

Unfortunately I also believe they have a neighbour with similar bad habits :shifty:

Maybe two.

The only area the French have any power is in Africa, where they buy their role by supporting irresponsible governments or dictatorships.

La tete du la pen*s. :)

or maybe just gutless

:nuke:

george, You make a point,

Africa might be a better place for the West make its stamp. God knows it needs it.

I