Sign in to follow this  
Guest lukewayne

Missing Start Button

Guest lukewayne

I have been missing my start button since I discovered the "friend greeting" worm on my computer. I deleted it and pmedia from my registry because neither appeared in add/remove programs. Anyhoo, I still have no start button and I'm afraid I may have deleted something useful. More evidence that people like me should never fool around with the registry! My question is: is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to take my computer to my high-priced computer guy? I'd be grateful for any help anyone can give. Thanks!

What version of Windows do you have? There are different approches to grabbing a registry backup if it's not too outdated...

Guest lukewayne

I have Windows 98 SE. It came with the computer and I have no backup or installation disk. Is there any hope for me?

you can run this in windows. click the start button > run. type in "scanregw /fix" without the quotes and a space between the w and /.

Guest lukewayne

To everyone who replied, I have tried all your suggestions and nothing has worked! And those were really good suggestions. To megaspaz, scanreg.exe /fix fixed my registry but I still don't have a start button. To volt, I restored a backup copy of the registry but all the copies were after I fooled around with the registry. I'm thinking I really screwed it up. Maybe I have to reinstall the operating system? In any case, thanks for all your great suggestions and if you have any more, I would welcome them. ;)

Are you missing just the Start button, or the entire quick launch bar. If so, have you tried moving the cursor around from the bottom , sides and top to see if the bar has been moved and can be brought up with the double cursor? Also, you can right click on a blank section of the bar if you can bring it up and select properties to make sure you don't have "auto-hide" selected.

Never could keep up with them holidays Volt! :mrsgreen: Seems to me like I tryed the Easter Egg thing on Win98 and it didn't work... Just thought of it. Maybe the trick of getting the button back will work.

Guest lukewayne

To the Hulk, it was hiding on the right side of my screen!!! I thought I checked there, maybe it came back when I ran reg fix. THANK YOU! Thanks to everyone who helped. You folks are awesome! :):mrgreen::):mrgreen::)