Sign in to follow this  
oniondip

Junk out of the box - Inspiron 3000

Hello friends,

I have two Inspiron 3000s that I bought for my sons at the end of '16. 500GB, 4GB RAM.

The performance has been brutally slow since day one. Browsers and other programs take 20 seconds just to open. Updates take HOURS. While on warrantee we tried many things will Dell Support with no avail. I cannot run tests here because I can not log in with an email address. Says it's not in database, though my profile says it is. Only the forums allow you to log on with user name..

Anyone want to help me tackle this... it's a last gasp before we move on .

You're able to run the OverDrive test anonymously from the bottom of the page. http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/default_ie.asp

image.png

The above is a small snippet of a screen shot and blends in to the forum background, it's not the actual link. I pasted that up top.

Edit:Be sure to copy/paste the link here after the test, but before you close Internet Explorer out as you'll not be able to get the test ink back afterwards.

Brutal process. Continually says No Session in Progress at the end.

Most I can give you is PC 7.2/ SOFTWARE 5.0/ MALWARE 2.0/ PERFORMANCE 52.6

*** Same after creating a brand new account

Edited by oniondip

Sorry for the problems, I'm in contact with our developers and will update as I get info. Thanks for your patience.

Tx :)

Looking at the report that unit should not be slow! OK the i3 isn't the fastest cpu but paired with enough memory it should be fine.

Have you run 'memtest'

https://www.memtest86.com/

(better than running memtest from the cmd line)

That's about the expected performance out of a U series processor. They're the low power variant that gets used in NUC,Laptops and other SFF pcs. The part that's makin it feel slow I'm confident is the reg hdd, an ssd would change the overall feel considerably.

I don't know if solve is the right way to put it, but you can clone/image the drive that's in the machine to and SSD and swap them out. The pc will be none the wiser and will considerably more responsive. For clarification, what is slow when you use the machine? 

That's likely access time from the hdd. An ssd would solve most of the concerns you present. 

I won't own a pc without an ssd. 

It's all plug and play. Once the clone has completed, shut the pc down, take the cover off, locate the hdd and swap the ssd in its place.

HDD=hard disk drive SSD=solid state disk drive hdd has spinning platters and moving armatures, ssd is just a bunch of solid sate chips that store the bits and such. Cloning can be done via freeware(Macrium Reflect is one) or paid software(Acronis True Image Home is one such paid).