rgsmile

Want to revert from win 10 to win 7

I just bought a refurbish Lenovo with Win 10 on it. It is my first taste of win 10 and I hate it.

At 81 I don't have the knowledge, memory or desire to use win 10.

I have no idea if this PC ever had win7 installed. And I do not know how to check for that.

I have a killdisk which will not do anything. Will not boot with a new start,

I have a win 7 install disk with product key. will not boot with a new start.

But I don't know even what to do or how to get into the bios if a change would be needed.

Even if I got to the bios, without some good instruction, I'd be lost.

Please help if you can and if so, I thank you in advance.

Rgsmile

PS: I haven't been here for awhile and used to spend a lot of time here.

Hey rg, long time no see! While I do understand your plight in this situation, you really are best off keepin Win10 on there since Microsoft has stated Win7 goes end of life on Jan 14, 2020. That being said, there are utilities that can give you some control back of the OS and how it behaves/looks.  

Tx :)

Thanks, Tx Redneck, for the response. But, I do not want the Win10.

I have no patience to learn a new system. I did try playing around with it and only became more confused.

Using a PC and enjoying it, is the best thing in the world. At 81, I don't need many things to be happy with. 

But, my pc is one of them.

I had bought 5 refurb pc's before this one, and they were all win 7.  But I had to return all of them as they all had something wrong with them. It's as though the suppliers did not care about win7 as they knew they would stop getting Microsoft support. So, I thought I would at least try win10. No more. Please help me back to win7 on the Lenovo.

"I have no idea if this PC ever had win7 installed. And I do not know how to check for that.

I have a killdisk which will not do anything. Will not boot with a new start,

I have a win 7 install disk with product key. will not boot with a new start.

But I don't know even what to do or how to get into the bios if a change would be needed.

Even if I got to the bios, without some good instruction, I'd be lost.

Please help if you can and if so, I thank you in advance."

I think if I could just get started on a install of win7, I would be happy.

I never found your reply until this early AM. I did have the "Notify me of replies" with a check mark.

Did I forget to do something.

Also, I attempted to set up a profile, but it says something about removing text file. No idea what that means. Why do outfits keep making changes when every thing works fine?

rgsmile

Edited by rgsmile
addition

I went into recovery to remove everything, but at the end it just wants to reinstall win10. So I did something wrong.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

rgsmile

Hey RG, if you're dead set on putting Win7 on there, you'll first need to go to the manufacturer site and see if the y offer drivers for the pc, for Win7. If they don't, then I wouldn't attempt the downgrade.

RG, it doesn't take too long to learn enough to get around on Windows 10 (I had to relearn everything too!)  As Tx Redneck said you'd be better off keeping Windows 10.  If you can do a little bit of tinkering you can Google "Windows 7 Emulator for Windows 10" and there are a few options you can download and install to make Windows 10 look and feel like Windows 7.  Check it out and see if that will help you any.

Thanks for the responses.

I never knew about needing special win7 drivers to get out of Win 10.

I will take a look at Windows 7 Emulator for Windows 10.

I had to come into the pit to get the responses. None have been sent to me at all. Am I doing something wrong, or omitted something?

rgsmile

<>

I checked out Windows 7 Emulator for Windows 10, and it looked to me to be for gamers, which I am not. I have trouble understanding new stuff and would get lost quickly.

Can a win7 hard drive replace the win10 HD and work?

Also,  

I had to come into the pit to get the responses. None have been sent to me at all. Am I doing something wrong, or omitted something?

What did I forget to check, or uncheck.

rgsmile

<>

Hey RG, all your hardware requires drivers(software that tells it how to interact with the operating system) and while 7 does a have a good repo of drivers, it's possible that you'll end up with crippled, half functioning hardware. You asked if you could just swap a hard drive with 7 in place place of the one with 10. You could, but the likelihood of it working is slim to none and  it would contain all the device drivers from the old hardware.

As to  not getting your responses via email, there was a forum software update recently and it may have "broken" any subscriptions to topics you had in place. Remove said subscription and reapply it, then let's see if that problem is corrected. If not, I'll get with the forum software folks to see what's goin on.

Tx:)

This is the only subject that I am using and there is a check mark on the box: "Notify me of replies".

Hi RG;

Just jumping in to back up what TX is advising. Going back to / do a clean install of W7; although in the short term may seem like a good idea you are going to run into trouble both with Microsoft stopping full support next year, but also you will find that software and hardware (driver) updates will quickly follow suit including anitivirus. As TX has also stated you may run into issues with current drivers especially 64 bit as W7 was on the cusp on the 64bit revolution!!

Not sure if this link will work for you; it was to check Vista/XP machines compatibility with W7 so not sure if it will run on a W10 machine:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20

I know there are some learning curves with Windows 10 - But it really is quite straight forward; and we are here if you get stuck!! 

Thanks so much for your help. I unchecked "Notification". I will now close out and then reopen to see if I get any responses.

My main problem with win 10 is temporarily solved.

I traded my win 10 to one of my grandsons for his win7.

So, I'll be Happy until January of next year when win 7 goes non-support.

Thanks again for being patient with me.

rgsmile

<>

TxRedneck, you said , "As to  not getting your responses via email, there was a forum software update recently and it may have "broken" any subscriptions to topics you had in place. Remove said subscription and reapply it, then let's see if that problem is corrected. If not, I'll get with the forum software folks to see what's goin on."

Would you do so. I would like to get responses.

Thanks in advance.

rgsmile

<>

TxRedneck, you said , "As to  not getting your responses via email, there was a forum software update recently and it may have "broken" any subscriptions to topics you had in place. Remove said subscription and reapply it, then let's see if that problem is corrected. If not, I'll get with the forum software folks to see what's goin on."

Would you do so. I would like to get responses.

Thanks in advance.

rgsmile

<>

Hey @rgsmile

I do believe we have the problem rectified. You should receive an email for this post.

tx

Thanks Tx Redneck for the notification. It worked fine. Glad the members were able to fix it.

rgsmile

<>

Great news and thanks for your patience.