jdog13

Very slow Asus laptop

Howdy and thank you even if you only read this. I have an Asus X540SAA that has been slowing down for the last couple of months. Restarts, Photos, Internet including email are all very slow. http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=26027299 Also, a yellow banner will occasionally show up at the top of the screen saying that, "A webpage is slowing you down, what do you want to do?" with Close or wait options being given. It never does identify the "web page". It does not seem to matter what browser I use. I am running PCMatic, it is a windows 10 64 bit system. Scans have turned up no viruses. I have not run any registry cleaners and the device manager shows no problems. If I have correctly provided the link to the test page, hopefully any additional information needed is there. If not, I will take care of any requests for information.The fragmentation level is recent and is improving. Again, thank you.  

Hey jdog13, 

There are a few things I can see that would hinder performance. Firstly, the cpu is a quad core but is low power model. This isn't bad, it's just the nature of the config. Second, you do have 4gb of ram which ok, but you're running pretty high on the utilization, so your pc may be hitting the pagefile(swap) when available ram gets scarce. Lastly, your laptop has a slow (spinning disk) hard drive. If you have the know how to swap an SSD in place of the spinner, it would be a night and day difference.

Any time someone ask me about a new pc or upgrading, and SSD is a must as it makes daily usage so much faster and enjoyable. My bother-in-law has an older Dell he does graphic design on that had a slow 5400rpm hdd, it would take about 3min to load one of his design progs. I swapped an inexpensive ssd in after imaging his spinner to it and that same prog opens in less than 20sec. I think if you could do the ssd it would make a HUGE difference for you. That would be the least expensive upgrade you could do atm.

Tx :)

Totally agree with TX; SSD is the way to go.

Also if you can add to the RAM; or swap the 4gb for 8gb that would also improve things. I never understood 64bit systems running 4gb RAM!!