Sign in to follow this  
believeryes

Google chrome and Windows virus

Hi All,

1. I have a virus on my computer where when i open google chrome, it displays me notifications from different websites. When i goto google chrome i cant turn off the notifications as its disabled. 

I tried cleaning up the registry and ran different anti virus software but no luck.

2. Second is a virus infected in my windows or maybe corrupted windows i am not sure. When i press the windows key and goto the start screen and type the name of an applications, the application shows up in the list but when i click on it to ran it, nothing happens and the screen freezes and then unfreezes back and no program is opened. 

That same program if i double click on the executable it runs fine.

Can anybody please advise.

Thanks,

I was experiencing similar issues as Believeryes had previously reported, and saw your recommendation to try the ESET Online Scanner.  Here are the results:

These files were cleaned using the ESET Online Scanner:

6/6/2019 2:54:37 AM
Files scanned: 328335
Infected files: 5
Cleaned threats: 5
Total scan time 02:06:48
Scan status: Finished
C:\Users\k\Downloads\HP Downloads\OJ8610_198.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application cleaned by deleting
C:\Users\k\Downloads\OJ8610_198 (1).exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application cleaned by deleting
C:\Users\k\Downloads\OJ8610_198 (2).exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application cleaned by deleting
C:\Users\k\Downloads\OJ8610_198.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application cleaned by deleting
C:\Users\k\Downloads\This computer is BLOCKED.html HTML/FakeAlert.PT trojan cleaned by deleting

Lastly, I went to the Chrome menu (3 vertical dots near the top right corner of the page, selected "More tools" and then "Extensions."  There, I found an extension for advertisements and deleted it.

So far, so good.  But, I'm wondering why PC Matic didn't find and fix the "This computer is BLOCKED.html HTML/FakeAlert.PT trojan."

PC Matic with SuperShield protects your computers from viruses and trojans that attack your operating system.  It does this by blocking the execution of known bad and unknown files.  

What you are seeing is not a virus or trojan.  It is an extension which you have most likely un knowingly installed on your browser. Clearing the extensions and/or resetting your browsers to defaults will correct this issue by removing the extensions.  Occasionally, but not often, there are associated programs installed in your Add/Remove programs section.  Always check that you have no unwanted, search engines, or update programs listed... If you find them, uninstall them. 

Thank you.