Sanford

itunes giving me this error: api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

hi,

I have a problem with iTunes.

I keep getting this error each time I try to run it. "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll"

I found a tutorial  and a recommended fix ,https://appuals.com/fix-api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-is-missing-error/

but I still couldn't get it working.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions I could try to fix the problem, or maybe something I overlooked?

I have not tried the solution they suggested , about installing an older version of iTunes. 

I was trying to find a different way. I don't want to use an older version , since I'm trying to update my iPhone to a newer iOS and was of the mindset that an older iTunes might encounter problems

updating my phone.

Hey Sanford, I read an article headline over the weekend about a known problem that's cropped up with iTunes and Win10, do you happen to be using Win10?

I am currently trying to get around my iTunes issue by trying to update my phone using a friends computer since he has a Mac.

I will post the results after I'm done.

13 hours ago, Sanford said:

I am currently trying to get around my iTunes issue by trying to update my phone using a friends computer since he has a Mac.

I will post the results after I'm done.

You might be able to update your phone on the MAC but that will not fix your windows issue. DLL is a kind of shared file (Dynamic Library Link) and is specific to windows.  Did you try installing the other piece of software recommended in the link?

I had an issue like this a while back and the fix for me was to un install iTunes and all of it's components then reboot the computer.  After that you can download the latest version of iTunes and re install.  Should fix your problem.  Here is a link for all the components to un install.

Components to un install

12 hours ago, nigsy said:

You might be able to update your phone on the MAC but that will not fix your windows issue. DLL is a kind of shared file (Dynamic Library Link) and is specific to windows.  Did you try installing the other piece of software recommended in the link?

The whole goal of putting iTunes on my computer was just to update my phone.

So, if I could get my phone updated , I would no longer need iTunes, which is giving me the error.

I did try installing the software in the link , but was still getting the error, which is why I started the thread.

Edited by Sanford

8 hours ago, Signman said:

I had an issue like this a while back and the fix for me was to un install iTunes and all of it's components then reboot the computer.  After that you can download the latest version of iTunes and re install.  Should fix your problem.  Here is a link for all the components to un install.

Components to un install

I will try your suggestion and post the results.

I've followed the instructions in the link , uninstalled all the components in the order as instructed ,

rebooted , re-install iTunes again, and still get the same error.

I made sure to double check, and I have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed now.

Don't know what else I can do from here.

I've tried those recommended steps , no progress there.

checking for windows update , just keeps checking and doesn't do anything.

tried downloading directly from MS and install , reboot and try to launch iTunes, still gives the same error.

I tried the repair method , also with no positive result.

what should I try next?

On 11/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, Sanford said:

what should I try next?

1st thing is to see if you have the missing dll file: Have a look in the following directory:

C:/System/Windows32 and filter by file type dll

Also what version of windows 7 64 or 32bit?

I see a whole lot of dll files, nothing with that particular name, so I guess you could say it is missing.

using 64 bit version of windows 7.

Hi:

Make sure you have a recent system restore point before doing this!!

Download the 64bit dll from here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OyKwAFk2sAtxDKc4JJh5W3HihhtRnKPr?usp=sharing

Save the .dll into your c:\system\windows32 folder

Register the file:

Open an elevated command prompt:

Search cmd > right click on the icon and select run as admin

Type

regsvr32 *path and file name*

EG regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\api-ms-crt-runtime-whatever comes next

Press enter

restart and see how you go.

I placed the file in the system32 folder , ran the command , and got an error before I got to the restart.

I tried the command with .dll at the end , and without, both tries resulted in the same error.

system32screenshot.jpg

Try this

Type 'run' in the search box - The windows run box should open

Type: regsvr32 “C:\Windows\System32\ the file name.dll” (make sure you use quotes) and click ok.

See if that works.

The timezone run time implies that the original missing .dll is now found. And iTunes is now looking for another missing file. These are all part of the C++ solution you tried earlier.

Hi;

Not sure why you are getting that?

Can you restart the system using 'Last known good configuration'

As the BIOS posts hit the F8 key repeatedly (Normally; but this does depend on manufacturer some use F11 or esc) - This will give you advanced boot options.

so, that last error msg only occurred once, and now I'm back to the core- timezone error.

is it the same process ?

"Type: regsvr32 “C:\Windows\System32\ the file name.dll” (make sure you use quotes) and click ok. "

15 hours ago, Sanford said:

"Type: regsvr32 “C:\Windows\System32\ the file name.dll” (make sure you use quotes) and click ok. "

I'm worried we might bork your registry! not good and difficult to fix across a forum!

Try to reinstall the c++ redistrubutable package you tried in an earlier post - that holds all the missing files. 

OK;

Run this command in an elevated CMD prompt:

sfc /scannow

This will check and repair certain windows files and registry entries. You may need to run it 3 times to clear all issues it can fix.

Before doing it ensure you have a good restore point and back up your registry:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/backup-restore-registry/#Backup_and_restore_the_registry_in_Windows_7

You may have already done this... but here is my suggestion.

1. Uninstall itunes
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Download (not run) Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145)
  4. Download Itunes installer ( https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ )
  5. Disable your antivirus (this is specially important if you have AVG)
  6. Install Visual C++
  7. Install Itunes
  8. Reinable your antivirus

I've heard of people needing a different version of C++.  If the above doesn't work, then try installing (with your antivirus off) the 2013 version (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784, and if no joy the 2012 version (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679)

It's good to do the sfc /scannow because it will check and repair essential windows programs.  I don't believe it will do anything with the C++ redistributable files because they aren't essential.  They are not installed by windows.  Developers use the .dll files they contain when making 3rd party programs.  When you install the 3rd party program (like Itunes) it should install the appropriate redistributable that contains the .dll's that it needs.  Sometimes things don't go right (like an antivirus interfering) and you need to help things by installing the redistributable yourself.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you have a 64bit system, you may need to have both the 64bit and the 32bit versions of the redistributable installed.  That is why you might see two versions of a redistributable in your installed programs list.  Following the above links should give you a chance to install both versions.  Download and install them both just to be sure you get what you need.  I suspect Itunes may have a 64 and a 32 version (obviously, I don't have Itunes) but alot of developers just compile 32 bit programs as they will run on 64 systems and a 64bit compiled program will not run on a 32 bit system.

Good luck.