Sign in to follow this  
Signman

Files recovery from hard drive

Guys and Gals...I'm about to run out of options.  Friend's HP All In One pc was shut down improperly due to a power outage.  It will not boot up now. Error message is: Hard drive failed or no hard drive present.  I've Googled this  and tryed just about all suggestions I've found.   I've done the un pluging, removing memory stick, cmos battery, booting to defaults...etc and running onboard diagnostics.  The result is :Smart check - Passed...Short DST - Failed.  Failure ID :U4JC6J-00099L-PXPAW1-60UN03 along with product ID: H3Z01AA#ABA Hard Disk 1. I booted into Ubuntu Live CD but Ubuntu doesn't see the hard drive.  All the command lines I've tried don't do anything that I can use.  I removed the hard drive and attached it to my Windows 10 desktop computer thru USB and when it finally appears, I click on the drive and it sits there spinning waiting on it to produce an explorer window but it never does.  The drive is spinning so I know that much is good.  I then proceeded to load Ubuntu onto my computer and Ubuntu sees the drive as 430 MB..I think that's correct.  When I click on the "430mb drive" I only get 2 folders...one says "Recovery"  the other is I think "Volume Label?" I'm not at home writing this so my memory is a little lacking.  Anyway I don't see any files that I can recover.  I need the documents and photos from this drive. (5 years of a child growing up!)  I really need to recover these files.  I downloaded an ISO of Linux Puppy to try but that download didn't burn  a bootable disk.  I'll have to try that later.  Anybody have any suggestions besides a professional service? Local around here runs $250.00 if they succeed or not.

You could try Photo Rec:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I used it on my pc (SUSE) when I ran a command and wiped everything!! - It's ok with small files but struggles woith larger files due to the way they are stored - Photos and docs ok.  Not sure if it will work with a failing drive....but it's free.

I've had great luck with PhotoRec and older versions of Hirens. I wanna say they were v9 or so. 

Well no luck this weekend with all I've done to recover those files.  I have been defeated!  I have now turned the computer back over to the owner and suggested they seek professional recovery.  I know it will be expensive but I think they have no other choice if they want to try to save their son's 5 years of growing up.  By the way , I have lectured them on using backups of important data!  Lesson learned I hope.  Thanks for all the help from you all...I appreciate it very much.

37 minutes ago, Signman said:

By the way , I have lectured them on using backups of important data! 

:tup:

Sounds like the drive is failing; could be a costly exercise and I still don't think they'll recover the drive. Would be interesting to know if they manage.

Been there in 2006, lost all my kids baby pics. Henceforth, I've used local bup and or off-site like Backblaze. 

Yes this will be tough for her to loose her pics but on the bright side, I have pics of the child growing up those same years.  He is my nephew!  I will let everyone know if they succeed in recovering any files from the drive.

Your HP boot up software was corrupted during shut down of the computer. As it was writting the HP software back onto the hard drive the power loss stopped 

that process and now HP no longer reconizes the HD. (A power back up that will supply power for just 10 minutes will prevent any further problems)

The good news is that you have not loss any documents and photos.

The software for that model HP is what you need. Thats why Ubuntu Live CD, Windows 10,  Linux Puppy  does not work.

HP wrote all the boot software for their machines for tlogo, run small software program, etc.

Once the computer is booted up & Win 10 is running then Win 10 controls the majority of the hard drive.

So go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  or https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and hopefully you can just download the HP boot file for that model computer.

Otherwise you will have to download  HPs boot file and Window 10 . You will not lose any documents and photos.

I think if you contact their on-line support they will be able to supply the HP boot up software.

Using Brand Name computers is a pain as any Windows up-grades you have to get the software from them

Well you should be in good shape, if you do not tamper with it any more.

The hard drive has to be booted with HPs software & then Windows can be started & then you will have full control of the hard drive again.

$80.00 for a power back-up that you plug your computer into is well worth it, so it will stay running when the power goes out.

Everytime the power fails you will corrupt the software & have the same problem if the computer is on.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

No luck in recovering files from that hard drive.  It was taken to a local computer repair shop and they used everything available to them to try to recover the files.  They said as nigsy suggested that the hard drive had failed.  Only other way might be to send it off for "professional recovery" but that would be too expensive and time consuming.  Thanks to everyone here for your help on this matter.  I appreciate very much.