Sign in to follow this  
Signman

Files recovery from hard drive

Guys and Gals...I'm about to run out of options.  Friend's HP All In One pc was shut down improperly due to a power outage.  It will not boot up now. Error message is: Hard drive failed or no hard drive present.  I've Googled this  and tryed just about all suggestions I've found.   I've done the un pluging, removing memory stick, cmos battery, booting to defaults...etc and running onboard diagnostics.  The result is :Smart check - Passed...Short DST - Failed.  Failure ID :U4JC6J-00099L-PXPAW1-60UN03 along with product ID: H3Z01AA#ABA Hard Disk 1. I booted into Ubuntu Live CD but Ubuntu doesn't see the hard drive.  All the command lines I've tried don't do anything that I can use.  I removed the hard drive and attached it to my Windows 10 desktop computer thru USB and when it finally appears, I click on the drive and it sits there spinning waiting on it to produce an explorer window but it never does.  The drive is spinning so I know that much is good.  I then proceeded to load Ubuntu onto my computer and Ubuntu sees the drive as 430 MB..I think that's correct.  When I click on the "430mb drive" I only get 2 folders...one says "Recovery"  the other is I think "Volume Label?" I'm not at home writing this so my memory is a little lacking.  Anyway I don't see any files that I can recover.  I need the documents and photos from this drive. (5 years of a child growing up!)  I really need to recover these files.  I downloaded an ISO of Linux Puppy to try but that download didn't burn  a bootable disk.  I'll have to try that later.  Anybody have any suggestions besides a professional service? Local around here runs $250.00 if they succeed or not.

You could try Photo Rec:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

I used it on my pc (SUSE) when I ran a command and wiped everything!! - It's ok with small files but struggles woith larger files due to the way they are stored - Photos and docs ok.  Not sure if it will work with a failing drive....but it's free.

I've had great luck with PhotoRec and older versions of Hirens. I wanna say they were v9 or so.