jeb1

Google search useless?

Remember the good 'ld days?  You put something you wanted to search in and up pops sites that are directly related to the subject.  Then ads started to show up at the top of the page - 2- sometimes 3.

Now today - even if you put the URL in the search the first page has maybe half full of ads - these ads are what, other search engines?  About.com, Ask.com and others.  And when the ads are finished the page is full of some of the same sites as the ads.  How does one get back to getting useful info from Google?  What is a better search engine?

Tks - jeb

Hey Jeb, what browser are you using? If Chrome, FireFox or Edge, I highly recommend goin to its respective store and downloading uBlock Origin.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ublock-origin/9nblggh444l4

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/  

TX, it is not popups but the page that comes up when one searches anything on Google now days.  That page used to have 3- maybe 4 ads at the top and then a line where the info one was looking for came up.  Now, there are 8-10 or more "ads" above the line - ask.com and others which are nothing but search engines in themselves.  Then, below the line are some of he same that was above the line.

Sorry - I thought your reply was to another post about Google search.  What I need to know now is if PitStop will clean the junk out of my laptop and then protect me from getting them in the future.

12 hours ago, jeb1 said:

Sorry - I thought your reply was to another post about Google search.  What I need to know now is if PitStop will clean the junk out of my laptop and then protect me from getting them in the future.

You now have a topic open in the AV forum - So lets get the PC a clean bill of health before worrying about PCMatic.

Nigsy, I sent my email to  PC PitStop support and received a reply that included a link to "Adware Removal Tool"  Ran it and it came up with 5 files - all "pokki".  I followed their way to delete the files and then wanted to ask a question as to why my local computer shop said I had several mal/virus but their program only found "pokki".  The link to ask a question sent me to TechSupportAll site and as I was trying to registering I was redirected twice so the Adware Removal didn't fix some  things.

I have yet been able to get an answer from PC PitStop as to if it will clean my laptop and does it replace my BitDefender anti-virus.

Appreciate any help you can give. - jb

Hi Jeb; I see you're getting the help you need to clean your PC. Follow those instructions to the letter and I'm sure you'll get cleaned up!!

If you get the paid up version of PCMatic it can replace all your existing AV and Malware protection. In fact running  Bit Defender and PCMatic together would probably cause you issues with false positives etc. Again I wouldn't install anything onto a PC with known issues until they've been fixed hence why I directed you to our AV forum.

Hope this helps.

Nigel.