Sign in to follow this  
wkunert

Not scanning for malware

I was using Edge this afternoon when I got  a message, supposedly from Microsoft, that my computer was infected and I should call a toll free number.  I immediately shut the computer off and install a recent image.  I then ran a PC Matic scan and it skipped over malware detection.  I completely uninstalled PC Matic and then reinstalled it.  It still bypasses the malware scan.  Any idea why this is happening.  both full and partial settings skip malware.

When you get a chance, please send up a log file so we can take a look at the malware scanning.

1) Open PC Matic and click the 'Options' gear icon, then select 'Technical Support' and click the 'Create a log' button to put a zipped file on your desktop. 

2) After a minute or so you should see a message that the log file was successfully uploaded and the log file should disappear from the desktop.

Also, as far as that silly pop up warning about your computer being polluted, that's just a scam using advertising to try and scare people into calling them.

Check it out:  

:) Y

Thank you for the log file.

Please insure that this computer is fully updated through Windows updates.

Next, please uninstall PC Matic Super Shield and then restart the computer.

Use the direct link below to download and save the stand-alone Super Shield installer:

http://supershield-files.pcpitstop.com/pcmaticss3.0.8.0-setup.exe

Navigate to the saved file, right click it and choose:  Run as Administrator.

Allow it to complete.

Once the tray icon is green in color, please open PC Matic and run a scan and clean.

Please let me know if it now performs properly.

Thanks

:) Y

I had submitted a trouble ticket on this problem and got a reply.  The problem was being caused by a McAfee program running at the same time as Super Shield.  I had to use a McAfee removal tool to remove all their stuff the remove PC Matic and Super Shield the reinstall fresh versions of both from the PC Matic website.  Now it works great.

Here is the complete instruction

Thank you for contacting PC Pitstop Customer Service.

Your scan results indicate that you are still running hidden pieces of the McAfee Security Suite and PC Matic's Super Shield at the same time.

Running 2 or more "real-time" anti-virus products together creates an unstable environment and actually weakens security.

This causes sluggish behavior, conflicts, false-positives, freezing and unpredictable blue screen errors.

Please go to: Start> Control Panel> Uninstall a Program and uninstall anything associated with McAfee that may be there.

Once you have removed the program, restart your computer

When the computer powers back on, download and run the McAfee removal tool to take out their remnants. <<< This is an important next step

McAfee removal tool:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

Once the tool is complete, restart your computer once more.

When the computer powers back on, you will want to get a fresh copy installed, to make sure to replace the files McAfee may have corrupted.

1) uninstall Super Shield from the control panel add/remove programs

2) uninstall PC Matic from the control panel add/remove programs

3) reboot the computer

4) go to c:\program files\pcpitstop (or c:\program files (x86)\pcpitstop for 64 bit systems) and manually delete the PC Matic folder to make sure that all parts are removed

5) reboot the computer

6) reinstall PC Matic from this link:

http://pcpitstop.com/store/get.asp?prd=pcmatic&aff=0002

7) reinstall Super Shield from this link:

https://supershield-files.pcpitstop.com/pcmaticss3.0.8.0-setup.exe

😎 open PC Matic and do another scan restart the computer (Sorry, yes one more time)

Jeff York

Edited by wkunert
update