shsports107

Iomega zip drives

I've stored 100's of photos on iomega zip drives in 2004 to 2008.  The company went out of business and does not provide current drivers.

The zip drive ins inserted into an iomgea case and plugs into a USB port.

The zip drives cannot be opened.

I get an error message saying the device is not supported.

Does anyone know a solution to open these zip drives

I am using a laptop with Microsoft 10. 

Had a little google on this. Seems the type of drive (Parallel Drive) has not been supported since Windows 7. So you're going to need to find someone running XP / Vista to help. You could try running a Linux Live CD on your windows machine and see if that can detect it.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, nigsy said:

Had a little google on this. Seems the type of drive (Parallel Drive) has not been supported since Windows 7. So you're going to need to find someone running XP / Vista to help. You could try running a Linux Live CD on your windows machine and see if that can detect it.

Thanks for the info, at least I know it's worthless trying,

33 minutes ago, shsports said:

Thanks for the info, at least I know it's worthless trying,

Have you tried the Linux Live CD route? You don't have to install anything; it just runs from the DVD drive. Worth a punt.

Nigsy, I'm not an advanced user and I've looked up Linux Live CD, most seem to be on a USB flash drive now rather than a CD; however when you look them up they want you to download it? Not sure why the download.

There seems to be a host of options and I'm lost in trying to understand any of them.  Do you have any suggestions on a Linux Live I might try? I have a Windows 10 OS. 

It's just called a live CD as that is what it used to be...most images are to big and only fit on a DVD now anyway....but as most system BIOS boot from USB most people just place the Linux image onto the USB and boot from that...but it's still a live CD...(not confusing at all!!)

Anyway...you just want a straight forward Linux image:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You'll need 'rufus' to burn the Ubuntu.iso to a USB drive:

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

And then follow this simple guide on booting Ubuntu from the USB drive without installing:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#0

It'll run and work as a fully installed OS.  It's all free; so if it doesn't work nothing lost.