Sign in to follow this  
juiced

Advice needed on installing liquid cool components

A little background, been building systems for roughly 20 years.  Only stuck mainly with aircooled, due to the areas/types of work the systems were to be installed.  Last couple years, I started installing CPU coolers.  The problem I'm having now, I'm now building myself a "heavy use" system for personal use as I'm going to be sidelined for a year or so due to health issues.  I bought myself a Cosmo II aniversery case and all new components.  Took me awhile to get through the lack of documentation for the case (IE: fan and led prewired connections) but ran into a problem that I should of predicted beforehand.  I purchased a Corsair liquid cooler for the CPU, which will go nicely on the header that is designated for it on the motherboard.  Problem is, I also have 2 1080TI's that are hybrid cooled as well to deal with.  When I looked at the motherboard specs, there are 4 headers for fans on the board.  1 for the CPU rated for liquid cooled with the remaining 3 as being low power rated for regular fans. 

My question is what would be the best way to wire the system up to use the liquid coolers on the video cards?

can you post links to the cpu cooler, 1080ti's and the motherboard you have so we can check specs, on power requirements and capabilities.

been a long time since i've built a watercooled pc myself but if memory serves the fan headers on the motherboard provide enough power for the gpu's to be connected on.
if by some chance they are not then you can always connect them directly to the power supply. for example to a spare sata cable directly from the power supply using an adapter cable similar to this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/15Pin-SATA-1-to-6-way-3Pin-Fan-Power-supply-Cable-Port-Multiplier-GPU-Cooler/123139453160?hash=item1cabaef0e8:g:iN8AAOSwzbVa~axJ

Edited by terry1966

Much appreciated.  Fooled myself into thinking it would be an easy piece together like my previous builds but now have plenty of connections needing to be plugged

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181141

CPUC

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157796

MB

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233978

Ram and Cooler

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP61T0054

Video Card

http://www.coolermaster.com/xresserver01-DLFILE-P1705230001ed4c-F1705230004d984.html

case manual

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-1000w-atx-eps-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-black/6209800.p?skuId=6209800

Power Supply

I was thinking, as the case is large enough with plenty of 5 slots, of putting in a separate fan monitor for just the GPU's themselves for getting better control of the gpu temps.  First time actually working with water cooled GPUS and don't really want to mess it up.

well looking at the gpu's they don't seem to need any separate fan headers for the fans or pump because they seem to run directly from the card itself which only needs the usual 8 and 6 pin power connectors directly from the power supply with fan speed etc controlled from software installed on pc..

so i'd think you just needed to connect the cpu cooler to the motherboard following it's instructions then plug both cards into their pci-e slots and connect the 8 and 6 pin power cables directly from the power supply to each of them and everything should then work fine.

can't tell from psu link if it has 2 each of the 8 pin and 6+2 pin power cables you need for 2 gpu's but if not then you'd need spliter cables for the second gpu to run both cards from the cables off the power supply..
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF5TH0853&cm_re=molex_to_8-pin-_-9SIACJF5TH0853-_-Product
and
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJF6CK4279&cm_re=molex_to_8-pin-_-9SIACJF6CK4279-_-Product

thank you, had pulled the gpus out of the packing material a few mins ago and found out the information I had read about them was wrong.  Or maybe for another version.  What I read had said it needed a connection for the liquid cooled and the built in fan ran off power supply.  Power supply came with 4 8 pin gpu's and 2 6+2 connectors.  It was something I had worried about as well and had more cables ready for purchase.  Been building on the case slowly today and pulled the fan off the top and installed it on the front hardware position giving me the cpu cooler and 1 gpu going through the top, and one gpu fan + radiator unfortunately in one of the bottom hard drive spots.  Thought it would be a good enough case but more limited then I initially thought.  Another problem I ran into was the board being way too small for the case, the right side of the board is left hanging unsupported.  Going to have to either fabricate non-magnetic braces to stretch from the next offset or probably change out the board once I see it it is going to be a major problem.

you're good for power cables then and as for the right side of the motherboard left hanging, that's fine just as long as all the standoffs are in the correct places in the case to screw the motherboard to them without leaving any empty holes on the motherboard where a screw should go..

as to where to fit the radiators/fans, then after a quick look at the case i'd think cpu dual rad/fans to top and bottom gpu rad/fan to back both blowing out and top gpu rad/fan to bottom side blowing in, but it'll be a question of just seeing where you can best fit them.

Problem I'm going to have with the bottom gpu is that the case is a solid glass side, so no real way to vent it directly in/out.  And taking the 200mm fan on the back is questionable for me right now as I've always left a large fan on back to vent the case so decided to put the 2nd gpu radiator on the bottom with the removal of bottom bays.  With the intake of the fan I moved from the top to the bottom front, hoping to pull enough air around to keep the 2nd gpu cool.  I did try to measure to see if I could put the radiator and the moved fan onto the back, but the area was too small.

all trial and error until you find the best solution that you're happy with usually when it comes to fan/rad placement vs performance. personally i like positive pressure (means more fans blowing in than blowing out.) in my builds even if it means a degree or 2 less cooling performance just so there's less dust inside the case.

all the best with the build.

Understood and thank you.  Going to have 4 120mm fans blowing into the case, 1 120 GPU radiator, a dual 120mm cpu radiator, and 2 120mm regular led's pulling air inside the case,  1 GPU radiator and a 120mm plain inside the case, and a 200mm blowing (up high) out the back and the 120mm (variable fan per power consumption) blowing out from the power supply(down low.)  When I ran the test (bypassed the power since board wasn't in yet with just 2 120mmm blowing in and 200mm blowing out, with the pressure was pretty steady.  Thinking it's going to go pretty good on positive pressure when the other fans in use.  Been a fan of positive pressure as my main builds are for business computers for companies and been a heavy air cooled builder as never really had to worry about over use.  Think I'm going to have to get familiar with water cooled as some companies are asking for specialized computers.  Right now, I think the wildcard is going to be the radiator inside the case, especially when it is hooked inside the case with no real inlet.  Looking at the case,  I may have to remove the front fans plus hard drive rack and install the 2nd gpu cooler on the front if there is enough room.  But going to get the build going with the current plan and monitor the heat under medium to high load.  If the temp average is too high, I may have to go the second route.  I didn't think I'd have so little options with such a large case.

maybe try connecting the top gpu rad to the back of the bottom front fan so you have fan/rad /fan both fans need to be pushing /pulling air in the same direction of course.

that's the way i have my personal water cooling system setup. fans connected to rad on both sides with one sides fans connected to the actual case.

I was thinking of that, problem would be not enough hose to reach.  But now that you mentioned it, may add fans to the front.  May give me just that little bit of reach needed.  Or maybe switching the dual radiator to the front as the hoses are a bit longer for the cpu.  Going to have to measure it out.

maybe even try connecting second gpu to back of cpu rad. make it the cooler bottom gpu though so you'd have case/fan/cpu rad/fan /gpu rad with both fans blowing down and in.
doubt the heat from the cpu rad will add much to gpu cooling temps but if it does then you'd have to try something else.
as usual there's lots of ways to connect things and just a case of trial and error to see what's easiest or works best.

Edited by terry1966

Very good idea with the twin fan and radiator combo.  I wouldn't of thought of that.  Got the motherboard wired up and the excess tied off, going to be working on the cpu cooler and gpu's next.  Trying to figure out where to stick all the prewired led leads and unneeded case fan connectors.  Probably have this thing up before dawn for testing.  Placed an order for 4 more 120mm fans (delivered in 2 days) for doubling up on the gpu's and on the cpu cooler, and may just may make an extremely thick sandwich on top for one side of the cpu cooler.