lse123

Can leave corrupted inside and install this as slave? IDE OLD EXPERIMENTAL PC

I HAVE AN EXPERIMENTAL DESKTOP PC 2003 32bit

MY ONLY ONE HDD[IDE] CORRUPTED AND I HAVE A NEW ONE [IDE] BUT IS SET AS SLAVE IN JUMBER... what can do?

Can leave corrupted inside and install this as slave? and install in slave Lubuntu 18.04 32-bit ?????

Old IDE HDD has MX Linux 32 bit[2ND-INSTALLED] and Windows XP[1-ST] 32bit ---- I THINK BOOT LOADER IS OK BUT BOTH OSs fail to load... 

Also The IDE cable has two IDE adapters

In case connect both IDE HDDs

matters slave new IDE HDD and initial old IDE HDD matters their position in IDE cable or NOT matter?

Master IDE at the end of the cable and Slave in the middle, especially if you have the tabs set for CS (Cable Select).

Master will need a working OS loaded.

Slave drive doesn't matter what is on it, but would probably be best to format it and use it as storage, since both OS's do not function as you mention.

:) Y

First thing I would do is run a HD diagnostic tool on the old drive and find out if it's the HDD that's failed / failing or it's a recoverable software issue:

https://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/ibm-hitachi-drive-fitness-test

If the disk fails the test then bin it. Install your new drive after changing the jumper to either master or CS.

If you want to keep the drive I would be tempted to install the new drive as the master; with the old drive removed; install a new OS on new drive then change the jumper to CS and install the old (corrupt) drive as the slave at least you may be able to recover some data or do a reformat / bad sector repair etc.

Master will need a working OS loaded.

what if OSs neither loads but Bootloader GRUB to pick OS loads - I mean after pick OS [XP or MX Linux] this OS not load failure after some lines of text appear on screen...

Am I able to insert slave IDE HDD and install Lubuntu 32bit on it ... Boot loader then will show choice Lubuntu first so load Lubuntu,...success?

On the other hand

how change the jumber... What tool must use to do a slave hdd ide >>> master hdd ide so use only the new ide hdd, in case? New hdd ide in slave now. 

1. The diagnostics tools run from DOS - They don't need an OS as long as your PC loads BIOS and POST - If your seeing Grub then this is enough.

2. Yes you can insert the slave HDD and install Lubuntu on it. From the Lubuntu setup disc just make sure you select the right drive and you should be ok.

3 If you need to change the jumper the best tool is a pair of narrow nose pliers or some tweasers.  Best just google the setting for you particular HDD though as the jumper position might be different depending on the manufacturer. (Usually there is a small jumper diagram on the face of the HDD where the jumpers are)

thank you very much for your help

as this thread here posted by me

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=44320&p=438012#p438012

says "Your hard drive is about to crash. Catastrophically. Doesn't matter what Operating System you are using.

can skip 1. The diagnostics tools run from DOS - 

and proceed to 2 ... Use old disk one was[2003] so must be master [GRUB ok - when choose OS then the problem] plus new disk IDE HDD slave and install in slave Lubuntu???

from the post I insert link to mxlinux.org forums Are you recommend this ^^^ or Just make slave(new IDE HDD) >>> master and use only this???

17 hours ago, lse123 said:

Just make slave(new IDE HDD) >>> master and use only this???

If you are sure that the old drive is failing - Remove it; and use only use the other drive as you say.

(I might be tempted to run a diagnostic tool on the old drive to be sure - but that's just me!)

This:

trying to fix the filing system on a failing drive is about as useful as straightening the deck chairs on the Titanic as it was sinking. Useless effort.

I decided use ONLY new HDD IDE

one last Q

Jumber in IDE disk shows that 

: |:| : :

is in second position meaning as per diagram in disk: CABLE SELECT ===> WHAT MEANS THIS - IF IS THE ONLY ONE CABLE MUST CONNECTED IN THE END OF IDE CABLE????

IF WAS LIKE |:| : : : THEN WOULD BE as per diagram master=ON, slave=OFF

With the jumper in CS, put the drive on the end of the cable, then if and when you add another drive to the cable and you use CS for that drive, it'll slave automatically.

This is the most common and most flexible solution.

:) Y

"and you use CS for that drive, it'll slave automatically"

in case second drive add, add it in mid of IDE cable connection... to end of cable should be the old-1st- CS drive... 

correct?

for now added the good drive IDE to end of cable and worked... is the only healthy disk the old is corrupted...

if corrupted IDE inserted to usb connector for IDE & SATA HDDs DESKTOP and usb connected to Windows 10 PC... can view both partitions to retrieve data Win XP ntfs & MX LINUX ext4???

1. If the second drive is added to the mid IDE connector an the jumper is CS - It will show as slave.

2. Yes you can connect the old corrupt drive by USB and see if you can read any data on there - Windows 10 will definitely see the NTFS data (XP) but off the top of my head I think you need 3rd party software to read EXT4 in windows. Happy to be corrected on this though!! Of course all of this depends on how badly corrupted the old drive is.

I installed in old PC- 2003 Sony Desktop

IDE HDD Lubuntu 18.04

In case can connect usb HDD adapter [IDE corrupted disk] to this Lubuntu OS to read the ext4 partition... ?

On 5/11/2018 at 10:06 AM, lse123 said:

In case can connect usb HDD adapter [IDE corrupted disk] to this Lubuntu OS to read the ext4 partition... ?

Yes. Linux will read the ext4 and the NTFS partition.