EMan

Windows 10 Explorer.exe crashing randomly

Ever since I installed Windows 10 Pro about a year ago, I've had random crashes, most of the time while in a game. After this happens, I check Event Viewer which has an event stating that game I was in at the time crashed. When one of these crashes happened, I'd be kicked out to desktop and most of the programs in my Notification area would vanish from view or restart themselves.

Tonight I had one of these crashes happen while in Windows. I wasn't even doing anything at the time. There were no browsers open, nothing going on. Here's what Event Viewer had to say:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0xfeba44fb
Faulting module name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.16299.125, time stamp: 0xfeba44fb
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000d5b96
Faulting process id: 0x1d24
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3b76ce930a4a2
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: f9b72f78-863c-4a2e-bed1-3f967f7fbfc2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Same symptoms as before. Stuff in my Notification area/System tray started resetting or had their icons vanish entirely. Made a note of the time this event happened and saved the above event before rebooting.

These crashes seem to happen at completely random times. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing but this happens every couple of days. Tonight was just the first time it happened while not in a program or game of any sort. I'll take any help I can get to sort this out.

Hey Eman, have you run sfc /scannow yet to check for system file corruption?

It is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

When you run it, click or tap on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. You have to assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide, so concentrate on the third-party entries. Is there anything listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click or tap the red spot (top left) to disable it. There shouldn’t be too many of them but you may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try File Explorer until the culprit is found.

If the issue persists, read about and then run Process Monitor version 3.5, from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Because of the huge number of activities, it can be made easier to understand by de-selecting some of the activities. The activities can be toggled on/off by clicking them on the right-hand side of the Toolbar, they are Registry, File, Networking, Processes/Threads and Profiling. Also, click or tap Autoscroll on the Toolbar to see the current real-time events.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:32 AM, Tx Redneck said:

Hey Eman, have you run sfc /scannow yet to check for system file corruption?

Nope, how do I do that?

On 3/15/2018 at 10:02 AM, BurrWalnut said:

It is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

When you run it, click or tap on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. You have to assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide, so concentrate on the third-party entries. Is there anything listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click or tap the red spot (top left) to disable it. There shouldn’t be too many of them but you may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try File Explorer until the culprit is found.

If the issue persists, read about and then run Process Monitor version 3.5, from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Because of the huge number of activities, it can be made easier to understand by de-selecting some of the activities. The activities can be toggled on/off by clicking them on the right-hand side of the Toolbar, they are Registry, File, Networking, Processes/Threads and Profiling. Also, click or tap Autoscroll on the Toolbar to see the current real-time events.

Ran ShellExView, nothing listed there that shouldn't be there. Other than Microsoft stuff, the only other programs listed were WinRar, OpenOffice, and Nvidia items. Tried disabling each of them one by one but nothing happened. Since this crash seems to be completely random when it happens, I don't know how to bring it about to actually test these extensions.

I'll try Process Monitor next.

Thanks so far.

Click the start button, type "cmd", right click on the top result, select "Run as Administrator".image.png.de8872195734b4371b85bbca11e45134.png

In the next window, type sfc /scannow and let it do its thing.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, Tx Redneck said:

Click the start button, type "cmd", right click on the top result, select "Run as Administrator".image.png.de8872195734b4371b85bbca11e45134.png

In the next window, type sfc /scannow and let it do its thing.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.