Thanks guys! Changed oil and filter in it today 'cause it was really black. It's got the 3800 V-6 from Mitsubishi for a motor and I know you can't hardly kill that engine. (well you CAN but...)

:geezer:

1 hour ago, brownhornet said:

drive it like you stole it CB...

I had a motor rebuilt on a Toyota 4 Runner once BH, and the guy that did it said "Just drive it like you normally drive, BUT, once in a while "drive it like you stole it"". I was driving it like I'd stolen it one day and turns out I spun the front bearing on the crankshaft and trashed my motor again. $2800 down the drain on a rebuilt engine with about 5,000 miles on the build. :(

I'm trying to be nice to this Buick, it's a sweet little ride! :) Nice to see you poking around pal!

:geezer:

You spun the front main after 5000 miles on a rebuild?   I believe I would have exercised the warranty.

There is only one cause for a spun main.  Lack of lubrication.  Oil pump should have been checked during rebuild.  Therefore, the bearing was either installed misaligned or improper clearances.  I know of no other options.  Unless you ran it low on oil (which is ridiculous 5000 miles in from a rebuild), I know of nothing you could have done when "driving it like you stole it" that would cause a spun main.  I suppose that if you were doing an inordinate amount of cold starts, and your oil pump was minimal... perhaps you could be partially to blame, but not "working" the engine.  Engines need to "work" from time to time to keep them running clean.  Idling all the time can allow carbon buildup, acidity in the oil, and other issues over time.

Ok... back to the regularly scheduled topic.