Sign in to follow this  
Y kawika

USB mouse/keyboard stops working tweak

Recently, several Windows 10 machines are finding themselves having issues with their USB keyboard and/or mouse not working.

I had this occur last Monday and I was and am running the most current version of Windows 10:  16299.248

In any event, in order to get it all back, I did a repair install using the Windows 10 media Creation Tool:

Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Some others have gone in and rolled back the last Windows update to be able to get things working again.

So now that it's all back and running properly I went looking to see if there is a way to prevent this from happening again to my USB keyboard and/or mouse.

I ran across this setting and have implemented it.

Configure Power Management Settings on Windows 10 Creators Update

Modifying the Power Management settings is a workable fix to troubleshooting USB not recognized or not working hitches for Windows Creators Update since Windows machine will turn off the USB controllers to save power.

I'm not sure if this will prevent these issues that Microsoft is causing when our USB ports suddenly stop working, but it's worth a try. 

To disable it, follow below steps.

1. Open Device Manger.

2. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers item.

3. Double-click the USB Root Hub device and then turn to the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps.)

4. Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.

In any event, I haven't had any repeat issues, and don't know if this tweak will help, but I know that it isn't hurting anything to try.

Just wanted to pass this on.

:) Y

Tex had pointed me to some settings to stop Windows updates from updating the drivers as well, so this has now been instituted on my rigs as well:

https://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/

Thanks Tex

Use Group Policy for Windows 10 Pro or above, or adjust the registry key below for any version of Windows 10 running the Creator's Update 1709:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

Edited by Y kawika
added reg key info

I will be going to the repair shop tomorrow. No mouse, touch pad or touchscreen will work. Not sure what happened.

It just occurred to me that if one had something like Team Viewer setup for persistent remote access, I wonder if they could remote into the affected machine and uninstall the offending update that way.

*If* it happens to me, I'll try and report back.

Tx

40 minutes ago, Tx Redneck said:

It just occurred to me that if one had something like Team Viewer setup for persistent remote access, I wonder if they could remote into the affected machine and uninstall the offending update that way.

*If* it happens to me, I'll try and report back.

Tx

Yes, this works, as I had to do this using the PC Matic Pro remote feature to log into one of my machines, since the physical keyboard was not functional.

I was able to run all of the fixes remotely and then got the physical keyboard back.

8 hours ago, Y kawika said:

Yes, this works, as I had to do this using the PC Matic Pro remote feature to log into one of my machines, since the physical keyboard was not functional.

I was able to run all of the fixes remotely and then got the physical keyboard back.

Did this with team Viewer a while ago.....was working with a company that had disabled the print screen and virtual keyboard functionality....easy...in with team viewer non instal version, up with the virtual keyboard and away!! And yes it does work with the windows update issue, I untangled my brothers DELL over the weekend through TmViewer.

Thanks much for info! Had this issue on three of win 10 64 bit computers. Mouse & keyboard worked good in BIOs mode which indicated the issue was windows related.  One was fixed by rolling back, one fixed by removing win 10 & installing win 7, this machine was fixed by rolling windows 10 back to basics. All were very painful. New issue for me, never experienced a disabled mouse and keyboard - never get to old to learn (hard way).

Appreciated. erv

This Monday will be the 2nd week without any further incidences in losing my keyboard since I implemented the changes to stop Microsoft from "updating" my drivers and leaving me with nothing to use.

https://forums.pcpitstop.com/topic/207109-usb-mousekeyboard-stops-working-tweak/?do=findComment&comment=1813935

I've run across many others who have simply used system restore to get their USB keyboard and/or mouse working again, only to find a few days later to be going through the same nonsense all over again.

I was told that there will be a "patch" released by Microsoft to fix this, but for now, I'll just keep them away from my drivers.

Wharz the up vote, like or +1 button when you need it? 

Microsoft is pushing out a patch for the USB debacle today.

Stand alone packages:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4090913

Info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

This will take Windows 10 up to version:  16299.251

When on God's green earth are they going to rectify this? I'm SHOCKED no one has brought litigation against them for damages and or loss. I've personally, lost days of production due to their updates hosing my pc.

After installing this update, some devices may fail to start, and return INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

This issue occurs when the windows update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance