Sign in to follow this  
JamesASL

Is there a new virus out there

Wondering if there is a new virus out there that is causing machines to go to automatic Repair. In the last three weeks I have had three desktop and one laptop computers crash then defaulting to the automated repair message. I have never seen the message before three weeks ago on any of my machines running Windows 10. Any advise is appreciated.

I think the 'Virus' is called windows update!

Seriously...google it. Lots of issues with the latest round of updates from simple frozen PC's to destroyed boot loaders.

ERMAHGERD! I've lost literal days of my life recovering from these patches they rushed out for Spectre and Meltdown. Block 'em with extreme prejudice till they get their crap together.

16 hours ago, Y kawika said:

I've seen the enemy

and the enemy is named:  KB4056892

:clap:

I must say, if you do choose to hide the update(s) in the manner I detailed, the Win Update screen in 10 will give you a "scary" screen saying your pc isn't secure because you're in control of it. Pay em no mind I says...

image.png.4e937e45bbd0690ab5685875df75abda.png

Only thing it's missing is "Ring 888000045454 and you'll be put through to a MS tech......."

Looks like Microsoft is finally taking some responsibility.

They released a patch to put a stop to their destructive updates.

Unfortunately, the patch has to be applied manually.

Here's the information and download links:

M$ Fix Patch (KB4078130): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4078130/update-to-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-variant-2

Download from Microsoft: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4078130

:) Y

Yeah, read about that late last night, but it does no good for folk like myself and the countless others that have lost hours, even days of their lives trying to recover from this.