M1918A1

Fast internet but websites load slow

Windows XP SP3, FX 57 cpu, 3GB ram

For the last several months(maybe 6 months,maybe a year, I'm getting old and don't remember so well) I have been having a problem with websites loading extremely slow. Email takes forever to log in and takes forever to open an email. All web browsing is slow and pages sometimes time out. I have run various speed tests and all of them show that my internet speed is just fine.

Prior to this I had no problems whatsoever. In December, my internet provider (Windstream) replaced all of the modems in the area and increased the internet speed from 6 mbps to 25 mbps. This made no change whatsoever in the problem.

Over the last few months I have scanned with Avast,Malwarebytes,Superantispyware,and numerous online virus and malware scans. None of them show any problems. I even tried Combofix, but it no longer properly supports Win XP(it can't find the repair console for some reason). I searched google for the problem and 90% of the responses indicated a problem with the DNS server. I ran Steve Gibson's DNS scan and tried different DNS servers. No help at all.

Today, just for the hell of it, I turned on another Windows XP computer that I don't ever use that is plugged in to the same Router/modem. Websites loaded fast, email was fast....everything was running just like THIS computer used to run a year ago. Based on that observation, I am pretty sure that the problem is in the computer and not the router/modem.

Since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, I really can't do a reinstall of windows because I won't be able to get the security updates. And I don't want to "upgrade" to a newer operating system because I LIKE Xp and don't have the time to learn a new system. Besides, the problem isn't related to Win Xp, it is something specific to this computer.

Any idea what is causing this problem?

Hi;

You don't say what browser you are using; or does this issue affect multiple browsers. If you're still running IE (This will be unsupported version on your XP machine) as will Google Chrome. Have you tried running the browser in safe mode? Or manually turn off all add ins.

Hi Nigsy

I use Firefox. IE hasn't worked right for years.  Runs just as slow in safe mode. The only add on I have is Adblock. A while back I tried disabling it too, but it didn't have any effect.

Hi Oftentired

Cleared the cache, no help. Windows drive has 43% free space and the other drive has 73%

I would try resetting the swap file to clear it out. Manage it and set it to an arbitrary number like 500mb and restart then put it back the way you had it and restart.

I would also clear out temp files, perhaps use TFC by Old Timer or another decent tool for it.

I would take a hard look at running programs. I've used Autoruns by Systeminternals for this in the past.

Lacking a software solution, your HDD could be on its way out and having performance issues before it goes out the door.

Zeroed out the page file and then put it back.

Ran Cleanup to remove temp files (I do that every night). Already have browser set not to save history.

The last pitstop test (old style) I ran was on Dec 3 and it showed my hard drive at 89Mb/s  Took almost 3 hours to get the test to run long enough to get a report...it REALLY doesn't support XP anymore.  The only reason I had the patience to get through it was because I was trying to rule out hardware problems and the pitstop disk speed test was the only one I could make a comparison with.

Earlier today I switched out my ethernet cable and switched to an alternate network adapter.

The only thing that appeared to help a little was zeroing the page file. Seemed a little better after that, but I'm not really sure if it is actually an improvement or just wishful thinking on my part.

As far as running programs, my task manager shows 29. The only optional ones are Diskkeeper,Folder guard and free ramXP.  I shut those off a couple months ago to see if they were a problem, but they weren't so I turned them back on.  I took a screen shot of task manager. My apologies in advance if it turns out to be either enormous or microscopic. I never bothered with paintshop much.

screen2.JPG

What happens if you try another browser; Opera is still supporting XP for the moment; try Maxthon as this is the same version as running on W10:

http://www.maxthon.com/

Note; Firefox support for XP end in June this year.

Not sure how well that is working out. I installed it and now have a screen that says "Please wait while your user data is being imported".

So far, that screen has been running 25 minutes with no end in sight.

After 45 minutes I gave up and rebooted to get rid of the loading screen.  The maxthon browser worked after reboot (no settings got transferred). Unfortunately it was even slower than Firefox.     I really don't think that the problem is related to the browser. The other computer works fine with firefox.  I have ruled out every hardware issue I can think of.  Gotta be in the software. This is getting frustrating.

I'm stumped!

Between us you've done everything I would do.

I know you've tried changing DNS; but have you flushed it?

Open an elevated CMD prompt:

Type: ipconfig /flushdns

Have you ruled out a hardware issue? Is the issue the same on a wired / WiFi connection?

I'm just throwing ideas in here......

Download a Linux live cd and run it:

Launch the browser in Linux and see if you get the same issue - That'l tell you if it's hardware or software.

Funny thing about changing the DNS. After a reboot it switched back to "obtain DNS server automatically".. One of the quirks of the telephone company's DSL I guess. Back many years ago I had cable instead of DSL and I could change all of that stuff and it would stay there until I changed it back.

I did the "flush DNS". All I got was a flash of black screen. I didn't even lose internet connection...was there another step I missed?

Wired connection is all I have ever used. Never bothered to buy a wireless card for any of my computers.  A couple days ago, I replaced the ethernet cable. I can't seem to find a hardware problem anywhere. Doesn't mean there isn't one, just means I'm not sharp enough to find it.  I will go out and get some CDs and try the Linux thing.  Never used it before so I may have to come back and ask questions.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to keep coming back every night with advice on obsolete operating system that everyone but me abandoned years ago.

Apparently there is more than one Linux.  Since I have zero experience with this I am clueless as to which one to download. Most of them seemed to be downloadable from German mirror sites so I am guessing those ones aren't in English. My German is limited to what I learned watching re-runs of "Combat!" on you tube. Could you post a link for the right one?

Any one will do for what you need there are hundreds of linux distros (distributions); I run openSuse as I find it the best; the link below is to Ubuntu which is probably the most user friendly!! Ubuntu comes with Firefox as standard.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You can burn the image to DVD or create a bootable flash drive. Change the boot order boot in BIOS to boot from your DVD player and you're off!!

Have a look at this tutorial (You can skip the first 10 minutes); but it will explain the live cd concept.

Well, that was difficult.  Ruined 2 DVDs before I realized the burner on my DVD drive no longer works.

I ran the Ubuntu and for MOST things, websites were just as fast as before I started having problems.  Email was the only exception. I think it was even slower than it has been. 

So, internet works great on Ubuntu and crappy on windows. I am going to guess that I can now rule out a hardware problem.

Ok, I found the problem. I knew it would be something insanely simple.  I updated Firefox in my other computer and suddenly it had the same problem as this one. I went back a year and reinstalled a Firefox version from December 2016 (version 41.02). Now both computers run just fine. I can't believe how easy it was.

Thanks again for all the help Nigsy. 

6 hours ago, M1918A1 said:

Ok, I found the problem. I knew it would be something insanely simple.  I updated Firefox in my other computer and suddenly it had the same problem as this one. I went back a year and reinstalled a Firefox version from December 2016 (version 41.02). Now both computers run just fine. I can't believe how easy it was.

Thanks again for all the help Nigsy. 

Nice!!

(So you're not tempted to keep Ubuntu??)

Ummmm.......Ubantu terrified me. With one little click in the wrong place it could have wiped out everything.

I hate to be a nag... but you should really consider keeping Ubuntu or make some other choice for your operating system.  Trying to run XP, at this point in time, is, perhaps, worse than playing Russian roulette.  There is nothing secure about it.  You are going to find sites and programs that will not allow you access if you are running XP.  The browser you are now using is extremely unsecure.  You should never even consider using those computers for anything that contains personal information.  That means no banking, no online purchases, etc.  You probably shouldn't even use it for email.  You are now a danger to the whole World Wide Web.  I know that sounds dramatic... but it is the truth.

2 hours ago, Tomk_ said:

I hate to be a nag... but you should really consider keeping Ubuntu or make some other choice for your operating system.  Trying to run XP, at this point in time, is, perhaps, worse than playing Russian roulette.  There is nothing secure about it.  You are going to find sites and programs that will not allow you access if you are running XP.  The browser you are now using is extremely unsecure.  You should never even consider using those computers for anything that contains personal information.  That means no banking, no online purchases, etc.  You probably shouldn't even use it for email.  You are now a danger to the whole World Wide Web.  I know that sounds dramatic... but it is the truth.

Concur/ditto!