lse123

Install fresh win 10 pro on SSD OR clone HDD to SSD drive

My main PC is an intel i5 2400K HP Compaq PC approx. From 2011-12 // 1TB HDD

I have a sata 3 SSD SanDisk 960GB ultra ii

What you suggest for the best

Install fresh win 10 pro on SSD OR clone HDD to SSD drive???

What if you were in my position? 

In case fresh install on SSD w10pro and use this a while ... may can switch back to my HDD old w10pro if interchage connectors?? And again back to SSD? In other words switch back and forth. .. is any tip for this, for not destroy boot type of each disk??

Why would you need to keep the old install of W10?

I would do a clean install on the SSD; reinstal any other software on to the SSD. Back up all files reformat the old HDD and then load my files back onto it.

Then create a clone for safety!

You can create a dual boot system with the two windows 10 installs or run one as a virtual machine.

I just Not like reinstall all software... 

In case install fresh w10pro in SSD, and keep HDD as secondary can switch back in case I wanted?

How Not destroy the boot type of this secondary HDD? Can you give url for more info

When exist both drives in PC SSD and HDD what system will boot from??

In case clone HDD to SSD - I do Not think do this - recommended defragment HDD first correct? 

Edited by lse123

Here you go:

https://www.howtogeek.com/214477/how-to-dual-boot-two-or-more-versions-of-windows/

That'll give you a better idea of how to access the 2 windows from the boot screen. The guide is for multi booting of the same disc so you can ignore all the partition stuff.

If you want to dual boot - Ensure the SSD is connected and just install the new OS onto it. Then follow guide for customising the boot order etc. Or you can just boot to BIOS / UEFI and just select the OS from there.

If you clone the HDD you shouldn't need to defrag it first, but you won't do any harm running a defragger - Just never defrag a SSD drive!!

Hi , I've cloned a couple of drives in the past , an from what i remember you can't clone to a smaller drive size , ie , 1tb to 960gb , though i've never tried to a smaller one , only same size or larger ok .. Regards Philip...

4 hours ago, beagle1 said:

Hi , I've cloned a couple of drives in the past , an from what i remember you can't clone to a smaller drive size , ie , 1tb to 960gb , though i've never tried to a smaller one , only same size or larger ok .. Regards Philip...

Used to be the case, but Acronis, Clonezilla and a couple of other imaging programs will let you do it.

Thanks for that nigsy , been 3 years my last clone , an i used easeus disk clone , i'll remember the two you mention , might come in handy .. Regards Philip..