Sign in to follow this  
dickster

Need help installing drivers for R9 280 vid card

Running into all kinds of problems. Anyone have a simple how-to to get the AMD drivers installed? Mint 18 Sonya

Edited by dickster

AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers

The AMD Catalyst (fglrx) drivers are not compatible with Xorg 1.18, which is the version used in Linux Mint 18.

These drivers are proprietary and so their code is not available. AMD indicated they no longer wanted to support them and urged their customers to use open-source drivers instead.

If you are using an ATI GPU in Linux Mint 18, the operating system will either select the Radeon or AMDGPU drivers for you, and these are installed by default.

Found the above on this site:

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_mate.php

Had a look on  some other sites and it appears that AMD is not playing nicely with Linux! 

to be honest dickster, unless you're having issues with the default open source driver i never bother installing amd's own drivers any more, i do install nvidia's own drivers though.

Edited by terry1966

Don't know if I can get folding@home to run on the default driver. That's the only reason I'm trying to get AMDs drivers.

ok. how you getting on? see if this link helps :- https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=229229

Didn't work for some reason. I may be stuck waiting for them to come out with decent drivers for my card.

Ok, thanks for trying, terry. Went backwards to Mint 17.2 and was able to install the Catalyst 14.9 drivers. Now folding, but waiting to see what PPD I can get from this.

I'm averaging about 100-135k PPD dickster on mine in Windows....not O/C'd. ;)

:geezer:

This card was doing good on Win10. Judging by what I see so far, I'll be lucky to get 10k PPD with linux. But NOT going back to M$.

Edited by dickster

Something wrong...you should get more PPD out of Linux than Windows...

'Course it may have to do with the fact it's an AMD card... :(

:geezer:

That's the problem. AMD doesn't do well folding with the drivers that are out there. And they aren't interested in putting better drivers out for linux. Looks like my PPD is going to be way down from now on since I'm not going back to windows or buying an nvidia card.