Y kawika

Infinite Alert Hoax/Call this Number Scam

Across the internet, more and more of us are seeing these fake "Call This Number" scams and unfortunately many are falling for them and paying the very crooks who post these 'scareware" advertisements in the first place and even allowing these dirtbags onto their computers.

Their entire mission is to scare people into calling their phone number so that they can then frighten you out of your money by making you believe that you are infected and that they are there to rescue you for a price

Have you seen these (or similar):

callthisnumber.jpg

callthisnumber2.jpg

callthisnumber3.jpg

We are out to put an end to this garbage and we have a plan of action and the tools to do it.

But we need your help!

Let us know if you've run across these Infinite Alert Hoaxes yourself.

Do you want to join the fight and be a part of our Anti-spyware Brigade?  

The fight is on and we'll win this war with your help.

Join the fight:  http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop_new/infinite-hoax.asp

:nospys: Y

I get one fairly regularly saying it's from Micro$oft..."Warning your computer is infected with a virus! Call the number below...blah, blah, blah."

I just close it out by going to the Taskbar and hovering over my browser icon (allows me to see all open pages) and clicking the little red x. And then proceed with my day. Not too worried about viruses OR the warnings since I run PC Matic with Supershield, I know it won't allow anything to execute. I regularly clean .tmp files with TFC and I still run SuperAntispyware to clean tracking cookies.

:geezer:

No. I don't and will not run Chrome. I love Google, but hate Chrome, every time I install it, it tries to take over my PC. Aint going there!

How does the browser take over your pc? I've used it exclusively for years now and can't say I've ever heard of a browser taking over a pc.

Well lessee, I got the same pop-up messages that we're talking about along with page redirects, multiple tabs just opening, multiple windows too and all manner of uncouth behavior. Ain't going there! 😉

1 hour ago, caintry_boy said:

Well lessee, I got the same pop-up messages that we're talking about along with page redirects, multiple tabs just opening, multiple windows too and all manner of uncouth behavior. Ain't going there! 😉

One needs a good popup blocker addon while running a chromium based browser (or a browser that has one built in).

Without that protection the popups and uncontrolled windows can be a nightmare.

12 hours ago, oftentired said:

One needs a good popup blocker addon while running a chromium based browser (or a browser that has one built in).

Without that protection the popups and uncontrolled windows can be a nightmare.

And that is what the PC Matic adblocker for the Chrome browser does.  Not only block ads, but now it it blocking these scam pages from rendering as well.

:) Y

curious but why not just use an addon to stop java scripts in the first place, also not sure about the idea of calling those numbers to try and take up their time and force them out of business. easiest thing for them to do is make their phone numbers a premium number where they get paid a certain amount of money every time it's called and the longer you're on it the more money they get..

Sure, an add-on to stop all java scripts would work, but having to manipulate the settings to work where you wish to run scripts verses where you don't may prove a bit problematic.  If all java scripting is turned off, then there will be certain elements of websites that will no longer function.

More experienced computer users may do well with such a utility, but more experienced computer users are less likely to be fooled by these types of hoaxes as well.

We'd like to stop this garbage from affecting computer users at any level of experience.  To keep them safe and free from these types of scams.

As for changing to premium numbers, that would only shoot themselves in the foot.  When the caller is informed that they will be charged, whether it is one of our soldiers or a innocent computer user, the chances of them calling at all will be diminished.   No calls = no revenue.

:) Y

Yeah but unfortunately I have several sites requiring Java that are very important to me and won't work without it.

I only wish I could do so.

We currently are using an app on the iPhone known as reverse lookup.  We use this on phone calls as well as the hoax messages on the computer.  This app will allow you to do a reverse lookup on any number and ask you if you want to report it as fraud.  You will have to provide a short 50 word description as to the reason you suspect it as fraud.   The latest computer hoax number received by us was

888-635-6235