Jacee

Piriform's CCleaner used to distribute malware

Link to vital information: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/software/piriforms-ccleaner-used-to-distribute-malware/1/

'Our new parent company, the security company Avast, determined on the 12th of September that the 32-bit version of our CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 products, which may have been used by up to 3 percent of our users, had been compromised in a sophisticated manner,' the company admits in a statement published yesterday. 'Piriform CCleaner v5.33.6162 was released on the 15th of August, and a regularly scheduled update to CCleaner, without compromised code, was released on the 12th of September. CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 was released on the 24th of August, and updated with a version without compromised code on September 15.

16 hours ago, caintry_boy said:

Glad I don't use it anymore!

:geezer:

What are you using in its place?

Not if you installed v5.33. It was Piriform's servers that were hacked and that malicious payload came from piriform.

Craig Williams from Talos, is stating that the CCleaner hack is much worse that they thought. It appears that there is a another stage to this malware that was unknown of previously....Recommendation is a full format of your hard drive

You can read the update from yesterday here

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/ccleaner-malware-outbreak-is-much-worse-than-it-first-appeared/

The story of CCleaner being hacked first broke on the 18th from a blog by Cisco Talos

http://blog.talosintelligence.com/2017/09/avast-distributes-malware.html

Edited by Joe C

9 hours ago, geewhiz said:

What are you using in its place?

I run PCMatic to keep my rigs clean/tuned up and if I install a program then remove it, I use the old jv16 power tools v.1.3 to clean it out of the registry. For temp files and such I run TFC v3.1.9.0

:geezer:

17 hours ago, caintry_boy said:

I run PCMatic to keep my rigs clean/tuned up 

well... I don't use PCMatic. Perhaps I'll try Advanced SystemCare again. Used to run it until they got caught with helping themselves to Intellectual property back in 2009. I guess I should end my boycott and transfer it over to CCleaner (never thought I would be saying those words)

So first AVG updates it's Privacy Policy to give them cart blanc rights to their user's information and the right to allow ads (that they choose) to be displayed on their user's machines:

https://np.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/3l4apg/avg_anti_virus_just_updated_there_privacy_policy/

Then AVG is merged with Avast and the same policy is kept.

And now Avast acquires ccleaner and spyware is found in the program where it had always been clean previously..............

Gee Wally, think there may be a correlation? :shrug:  :laughing: 

I won't touch their products, personally. :nospys:

:) Y

23 hours ago, geewhiz said:

well... I don't use PCMatic. Perhaps I'll try Advanced SystemCare again. Used to run it until they got caught with helping themselves to Intellectual property back in 2009. I guess I should end my boycott and transfer it over to CCleaner (never thought I would be saying those words)

I wouldn't put ASC on a system of someone I was trying to punish.  Back-in-the-day, I've spent way to many hours trying to rebuild registry's that were scrambled, then there was the stolen intellectual property, then there was the revenue deal they made where they were selling access to systems to adware slime-balls.  Granted I haven't known of any recent problems, but I'm not really the forgive and forget kind of guy.

I don't clean temp files on my systems.  Just like I don't defragment.  I run Microsoft security essentials and Malwarebytes.  I run adblocker+.  Then I just use my computer.  I don't spend much time worrying about security on my system... and that probably stems from the fact that I don't get infected.  I'm constantly cleaning systems of friends and family who seem to get hit by a variety of "drive by" infections... but it never happens to me.  I honestly wonder how they pick things up sometimes, sometimes I know because some people cannot resist clicking on things they shouldn't... and truthfully, I'm one of those.  I've been known to click on links purposefully to see what they payload might be. (I wouldn't recommend this).  I don't allow things to get installed so I don't get infected.  MSSE and/or Mbam will squawk and tell me what the payload is and I stop. (not a good idea).  Someday I'll get burned and then I'll stop doing this.  The bottom line is I just use my computer systems and don't spend much time worrying about them.  Historically, I'll run a computer until it loses that "new electronics smell", maybe  8 to 10 years and then get another one.

It's extremely hard to know what's going on these days with "who bought who out" and "who added what adware/malware/tracking trojan program" to the product we used to TRUST!! What a sad situation we find ourselves in,  just to be comfortable with our own computers, in our own homes. "TRUST" is not ever the word to use with the Internet :nono:

I couldn't agree more with Tomk...there is no reason to use these dangerous programs. Piriform and Iobit websites are cess pools of useless and unnecessary programs. Most folks have 1 Tb hard drives and use less than 100 gb so why bother and take the risks. ASC is dangerous bloatware. I run WOT (Web of Trust) on every browser as well as Adblock Plus and that keeps out most of the junk. You can delete your temp files all you want, that does nothing to your drive and they only build back anyway and will self empty when built up enough.

The word "optimize" is a trap for foolish users....everything you need is within Windows these days and if your pc slows down, look to your surfing habits and you will break your addiction on the dangerous products