Sign in to follow this  
lse123

Overclocking Processor/Motherboard requires special processor cooler?

lse123   

Overclocking Processor/Motherboard requires special processor cooler/heat-sink? If yes, this is as easy install as in the case non-Overclocking it...?

That depends on what you have for a heatsink/fan combo to start with. ;)

You may want to go with something like this > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=Cooler_Master_Evo_212-_-35-103-099-_-Product

Or you may want to go with water cooling like this > https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103

Or you may just want to order your own waterblock from Swiftech or EK and pair it with a Laing pump, reservoir and good radiator, buy some hose and fittings and create your own.

I create my own.

:geezer:

lse123   

as first build

a processor as 7600K or 7700K i5 or i7 

having normal head-sink cooler

has any impact in operation...? normal meaning like those coming with some intel processors non-K ones...?

nigsy   

These questions were already answered in your recent thread, but as C_B says if you want to overclock you will need to upgrade the cooling as the stock coolers aren't designed for it.

Fitting a different cooler is easy; even if it's water cooled. Three things to look out for though:

• Some (read: Most) require a back plate to be fitted on the underside of the MoB before the fan can be mounted - Don't screw the motherboard down and then realize you haven't done this!!
  • Aftermarket cooling solutions are often taller than stock; make sure your case has the required dimensions to fit the fan once mounted.
  • Some are wider than standard coolers and often block the first memory slot - especially if you have tall RAM cards with there own cooling blades.

In your previous thread I also added a useful link to help you understand OCing; if you haven't read it please do!!

N.