Sign in to follow this  
sanguillen

Replacing an HDD 3.5" USB 3.0 Enclosure

if i remember correctly in disk management you just right click on the partitions you want to change (same way you resized the 2TB) then click on delete until all the drive shows as free space. then right click on it and click new partition then follow instructions to create 1 new partition using all the space.

once that's done and it shows up as a single 3tb drive in windows use testdisk to analyse the drive (efi gpt) and post a screenshot of what it shows. then do a quick search and post a screenshot of that too, then we'll see where we go from there.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

5 hours ago, caintry_boy said:

Thanks for the guide help.  I've gone ahead and done what you and Terry have suggested.  After Analyse the efi gpt drive, I get the following:

xALa4XS.jpg?1

When I hit Quick Search, I get the following:

Zuhc84o.jpg?1

My opinion but from the looks of the last screenshot it appears as though it's showing that to be the Seagate Expansion Drive and a full 3Gb...

Terry, what do you say?

:geezer:

yes caintry.

type p to see if it lists your files, post screenshot, then go back and hit continue, post screenshot.

start testdisk again and this time instead of analysing the drive click on the advanced option and post screenshot, choose boot and post screenshot, choose repair mft and post screenshot.

Edited by terry1966

8 hours ago, terry1966 said:

type p to see if it lists your files, post screenshot

Here is a list of one of the subfolders:

0V7MH1r.jpg?1

then go back and hit continue, post screenshot.

P1rnf8t.jpg?1

start testdisk again and this time instead of analysing the drive click on the advanced option and post screenshot

0tZPAGk.jpg?1

choose boot and post screenshot, choose repair mft and post screenshot.

I'm not seeing an option to choose Boot or Repair MFT?  The last screenshot above is what I see when I choose "Advanced"....

what do you see if you hit type?

at the moment i'm not sure if it's best to just write the files it found and listed to the drive or try and see if it can find the original mft and repair that.

i'd be a lot happier just writing the files it found if the partition started at 2048 instead of 40, does it look like all your files are there? if so then this might be best option and just write that partition table and filesystem to the drive. you might have some work still to do like search your backup files for the data that's 0kb in size and copy it back to the drive but it should now show in windows as a 3TB drive with most of your data there and useable.

39 minutes ago, terry1966 said:

what do you see if you hit type?

at the moment i'm not sure if it's best to just write the files it found and listed to the drive or try and see if it can find the original mft and repair that.

i'd be a lot happier just writing the files it found if the partition started at 2048 instead of 40, does it look like all your files are there? if so then this might be best option and just write that partition table and filesystem to the drive. you might have some work still to do like search your backup files for the data that's 0kb in size and copy it back to the drive but it should now show in windows as a 3TB drive with most of your data there and useable.

Before the format, the drive was showing in Windows as 1.90 TB used and roughly 860 MB or so as "free", so I think Windows was recognizing it as a 3.0 TB drive even then.  I think the 860 MB "free" represented all the 0 kb files.  Merging the partitions didn't really do anything good or bad.  But since doing the quick format, I get the same messages that I got early on:  that it's RAW, and when I click on it in Explorer it tells me it needs to be formatted, and that "H: is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted".

When I hit Type, the following shows up:

TU8MICB.jpg?1

I think even before the rearranging of the partitions and the quick format, all the files were indeed listing in Windows.  But some of them were showing up in Windows (and in TestDisk) as 0 kb.  Listing the files in TestDisk, they appear the same now as they did before (I don't believe that part has ever changed in TestDisk, even when the drive was first inaccessible) - all files and folders listed, but some are still listed as 0 kb.

what it shows as raw again in windows? it should have been showing as a 3Tb(about 2.7TB) drive with an empty single partition on it after you did the quick format.

ok, i don't understand why it's showing as raw still but never mind.

lets bite the bullet and write the partition and files testdisk found to the drive.

so analyse efi gpt, quick search, etc until you get here :- image.png.b9404da14f5325f41b1fe035d73ece14.png

then write.

now when you look at the drive in windows it should show 1 partition with your data on it.

Maybe I screwed something up with the quick format?  Anyway, I've done the Write as you specified, and it now comes up as:

dj8Heug.jpg?1

And when I choose Boot:

JXvsPNK.jpg?1

So I think I'm back to where I was just before the following from you regarding the quick format (one 3.0 TB partition showing in Windows, all files and folders list in Windows, but some files at 0 kb):

Should I try and do the quick format step again?  I'm trying to figure out where I screwed it up because it seems clear I goofed with something....

no you shouldn't need to do anything else. the drive should show in windows and be useable with all/most of your data on it just like when it was in the old enclosure.

2 hours ago, terry1966 said:

no you shouldn't need to do anything else. the drive should show in windows and be useable with all/most of your data on it just like when it was in the old enclosure.

The two Testdisk pics in that last post are where I am currently at, which is still the one 3.0 TB partition showing in Windows, all files and folders list in Windows, but some files at 0 kb.  I'm wondering that if I did something wrong and the format didn't take (maybe I accidentally hit "cancel" at some point), then all the last couple of steps did was restore it to this same point, where I never got to the "choose boot and post screenshot" and "choose repair MFT and post screenshot" stage?

no i don't think you did anything wrong, i just decided to not try that route and thought the best you're going to get is what you have now with a single 3tb partition and what files you have on it now.

if we made a mistake, it was way back at the beginning when we rebuilt the mbr after analysing the drive with intel instead of efi gpt and then ran chkdsk and it made changes to the files/mft.

so to sum up i think what you have now is the best you are going to get.

because of the partition starting at 40 you might want to use some software to make sure the drive is aligned but apart from that i don't think there is anything else to do.

drive alignment :- https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/align-partition.html

if you want to see if we can get all your files back, then in last screenshot choose repair mft and see what it shows, post screenshot.

Edited by terry1966

50 minutes ago, terry1966 said:

if you want to see if we can get all your files back, then in last screenshot choose repair mft and see what it shows, post screenshot.

Here is the screenshot after I choose Repair MFT:

vDI0x3n.jpg?1

I'm guessing that you weren't expecting to see anything different from that, and that we've exhausted any hope of recovering the 0 kb files - short of me sifting through the files saved by Disk Digger, figuring out which ones are the ones that are showing as 0 kb on the old drive, and renaming those.

55 minutes ago, terry1966 said:

if we made a mistake, it was way back at the beginning when we rebuilt the mbr after analysing the drive with intel instead of efi gpt and then ran chkdsk and it made changes to the files/mft.

But TestDisk identified the drive as Intel (I distinctly remember that part), so I'm not sure how you would have known to rebuild the mbr with efi gpt?

I'm guessing that you weren't expecting to see anything different from that,

not really but you never know.

and that we've exhausted any hope of recovering the 0 kb files - short of me sifting through the files saved by Disk Digger, figuring out which ones are the ones that are showing as 0 kb on the old drive, and renaming those.

yes afraid so, you'll have to find them on the backup drive and copy them to this drive.

But TestDisk identified the drive as Intel (I distinctly remember that part), so I'm not sure how you would have known to rebuild the mbr with efi gpt?

i should have noticed the size of drive and because it was over 2tb should have at least checked things with efi gpt first before suggesting you go ahead and rebuild the mbr.

i think things could have still been salvageable even then, but after chkdsk ran and made changes to the mft/files it was then i think things got to a point where we were never going to be able to get everything 100% back to how things were., but we tried anyway.

as a last resort run chkdsk on it now and see if it does anything.

Edited by terry1966

In hindsight, if you had told me at the beginning that by the end of it we'd be able to save almost all the files but that I might have to go through and identify and rename about 25% of them, I would have taken that in a heartbeat.

So for that, and for the tireless efforts of yourself, caintry and nigsy, I give you a heartfelt thanks.  You all provide a fantastic service here, and on your own time to boot.

This round's on me. :cheers:

2 hours ago, terry1966 said:

glad to help. :cheers:

just sorry we couldn't get to 100% of the files being seen in windows, even though they are still on the drive somewhere.

+1

:geezer: