Sign in to follow this  
sanguillen

Replacing an HDD 3.5" USB 3.0 Enclosure

yes and no.

yes it would look like there were no files on there in windows but no a quick format doesn't actually delete the data on the drive so the files are still there and it's just windows doesn't know how to find them any more, but if you used photorec or the other windows program you originally used to find and backup the files it would still find them. testdisk should also still be able to find the files and fix things again so windows sees them and shows a 3TB drive.

i'd think you'd choose the same options as if you started with the intel option, analyse, show files, etc.

like i said earlier haven't actually used testdisk on a gpt drive and it's been a very long time since i've used testdisk at all now.

Thanks for your continued support, Terry - I much appreciate it. I ran EaseUS and it seemed to make the conversion to GPT, but Windows is still reading the HDD at 2.0 TB. When I check Disk Management, I see the following:

yUber0z.jpg?1

Regarding the 746.51 GB - Windows is reading all the file names fine, but reporting the size of some of the files (presumable the ones in this "unallocated area" as 0 kb. Disk Digger previously copied these files to my new backup drive so the data is there, but all those files are renamed to "avi xxxxx at Sector xxxxxx", so it would be a rather onerous task to figure out which 0 kb files correspond to which Disk Digger files.

TestDisk now recognizes the drive as GPT, so I am running a Quick Search again. However, the Quick Search is running far slower than it previously did - the difference between 2 hours (in clumps of 10,000 or so) and what I'm estimating to be 24 hours (each cylinder individually). I did notice that when I started Quick Search, it immediately goes to 73% (which seems to correlate to 2000 GB out of 2700 or so GB, when adding in the unallocated portion).

I guess I let Quick Search finish its run, and report back with my results? I'm fearful of just right-clicking on the unallocated portion listed in Disk Management, and selecting New Simple Volume as I have no clue how that might turn out....

i doubt it because testdisk would show you 2 partitions when you analyse it and if that was the case then i'd think windows (don't use windows myself.) disk management would show you a 3TB drive with at least a 2TB partition and the rest of the drive as empty space but from my understanding it only shows you a 2TB drive which to me means it only sees a mbr(basic) 2TB drive where it should see a gpt 3TB drive.

Windows disk management is indeed showing what I bolded from your previous post, as per the image above. I guess we'll see what TestDisk comes up with, once it concludes Analysing at GPT instead of Intel. I've no idea why it's running so much slower this time?

i'm wondering if the enclosure you bought is capable of using hard drives greater than 2TB not all are, but if it is then i'd think not seeing the drive as gpt for some reason in the first place is why you had the problems to start with.

I just checked the manufacturer's specs for the Orico 3588C3 enclosure (link to the specs here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_203&item_id=094787),and it lists the support capacity as up to 8 TB, so I would think that it shouldn't be an issue?

Just my opinion...try assigning a drive letter to the 746Gb unallocated drive or try to merge it with the Seagate Expansion, then make it "Active". I'm not sure you can. I also don't know why you say Disk Digger recovered files from there, are you absolutely certain there are files on that? It's been my experience that if Windows shows it as "Unallocated" that the only way to use it is to format it assign a drive letter and name and THEN put files on it. ;)

:geezer:

Just my opinion...try assigning a drive letter to the 746Gb unallocated drive or try to merge it with the Seagate Expansion, then make it "Active". I'm not sure you can. I also don't know why you say Disk Digger recovered files from there, are you absolutely certain there are files on that? It's been my experience that if Windows shows it as "Unallocated" that the only way to use it is to format it assign a drive letter and name and THEN put files on it. ;)

Am I better off trying to merge it with Disk Management, or EaseUs? From a brief check, I get the feeling using Disk Management will delete the data, whereas EaseUs won't?

As for DiskDigger - when I click on Properties for the new backup drive, it is saying 2.75 TB used up, 908 GB free. The problem is twofold: 1) as mentioned above, all of the files on the new drive were renamed into generic names by Disk Digger and will need renaming, and 2) some of the files (notably the MP4s), are now fragmented and useless in terms of trying to run.

If you have EaseUs use it. ;) I've used it to merge partitions before and it worked fine. It's a little hard to understand at first but look it over, then look it over again and it'll come to ya'... ;)

i'd just leave every as is for now but if you want just expand the 2TB partition to use all the drive. using easus or windows disk managment makes no difference. don't use that space to create a second partition though whatever you do, and then run chkdsk on it again.

caintry the reason files are found on the unallocated space is because it wasn't always unallocated it was 1 big partition that included the now unallocated partition.

i've no theory of why testdisk is running slow now when checking the gpt partition, like i've said i've never ever used it on a drive that large where gpt was needed.

at the end of the day if we can't get everything reading how it was before the enclosure migration then i'm afraid yes you're going to have to copy over the backup files and overwrite the 0kb files and rename them.

i'm wondering why it shows an unused 8mb partition at the start of the drive, looks wrong to me and i'd expect just one 2tb partition on there, and if at the end of the day we can't fix things and it still shows the unused 8mb partition at the start of the drive, then i'd delete all partitions on there and do a quick gpt format so it shows as just 1 partition for all the drive and then copy all the files over from your backup.

2) some of the files (notably the MP4s), are now fragmented and useless in terms of trying to run.

i think most such files are probably old file left overs from other things that used to be on the drive, when you use file finding software like photorec to find files it doesn't just find files that were shown in windows before the problems it finds files and parts of files of everything that was ever written (and not overwritten after deletion in windows) to the drive, that's why a lot of stuff is junk, and usually where you had say 200GB of real data on there you wanted, after such a search it might find 400GB of data leaving you to go through it and keep what you needed and deleting everything else.

I guess I let Quick Search finish its run, and report back with my results?

yes please, got a feeling you're going to need to do a deep search too, so might as well do that at the same time and report back what that found too, if the searches find a partition that uses all the drive and all your files are on that partition as they were before the enclosure swap then write it to the drive.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Hi everyone,

Quick Search finished its run overnight, and this is what resulted:

XN1SlTe.jpg?1

I've yet to hit Continue and start a Deep Search, as I'm not sure what I should do at this point?

hit continue what's shown is no help to you.

Yes, I suppose I should have realized that on my own. :facepalm::mrgreen:

Here is what I see next:

KagXifj.jpg?1

I guess it's too much to hope that changing the partition(s) from D to P would resolve this? :erm:

Edited by sanguillen

list files on the one that's highlighted if they are all there then yes make that one P for primary.

When I try to list the files on the highlighted drive, it's saying "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

was that last screen after doing a deeper search?

if it wasn't i'd first run a deeper search if it was then i'd make it primary anyway even though i'm not happy with it's start sector and write it to drive, and repair bootsector again if needed, then go into windows and see what it shows in disk management and what files are shown, maybe do a chkdsk again on it.

if that didn't put everything 100% back to how it was before the case migration, then i'm out of ideas and don't know what else to try.

Edited by terry1966

was that last screen after doing a deeper search?

if it wasn't i'd first run a deeper search if it was then i'd make it primary anyway even though i'm not happy with it's start sector and write it to drive, and repair bootsector again if needed, then go into windows and see what it shows in disk management and what files are shown, maybe do a chkdsk again on it.

if that didn't put everything 100% back to how it was before the case migration, then i'm out of ideas and don't know what else to try.

No, that was strictly after the quick search. I'll start a deeper search when I get home from work today, but I likely won't have any news on it right away as I am guessing it will be a time consuming process. I appreciate your doggedness in continuing to try and help me through this. B)

what i think you're hoping to find is a partition that says ms data, start sector should be something like 2048 end sector something starting with 586???????

then check what files are on it and if happy write it to drive then see what shows in windows.

if things still aren't right, to be honest i'd just use windows disk management, delete all partitions do a quick format gpt so it shows a single 3tb ntfs partition then copy over your backup files to it, deleting and/or renaming any that need it.

Edited by terry1966

1 hour ago, terry1966 said:

what i think you're hoping to find is a partition that says ms data, start sector should be something like 2048 end sector something starting with 586???????

then check what files are on it and if happy write it to drive then see what shows in windows.

if things still aren't right, to be honest i'd just use windows disk management, delete all partitions do a quick format gpt so it shows a single 3tb ntfs partition then copy over your backup files to it, deleting and/or renaming any that need it.

OK, I'll post back with my results once Deeper Search is finished.  Would there be a point to running chkdsk before doing the quick format gpt that shows a single 3 TB NTFS partition, if TestDisk does not show the partition you listed above?

On 8/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, terry1966 said:

So the Deeper Search finally finished.  This is what it looked like just before finishing:

6lYoCNq.jpg?1

And this is what it looked like when it finished:

iNBarEr.jpg?1

5ldkVcB.jpg?1

So I should make the highlighted one Primary, and then list the files on it and if happy, write to it?  And if not happy, run chkdsk as a last resort before the quick format?

on the one that's highlighted in last screenshot click p to list the files and then if they look ok make it primary and write it to drive.

see how things look then, maybe run chkdsk too.

if it won't let you list the files then to be honest i'd call it a day and delete all partitions, create 1 new one and copy your backup files across.

Edited by terry1966

6 hours ago, terry1966 said:

on the one that's highlighted in last screenshot click p to list the files and then if they look ok make it primary and write it to drive.

if it won't let you list the files then to be honest i'd call it a day and delete all partitions, create 1 new one and copy your backup files across.

On the highlighted drive, I'm getting the same " "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged." that I got before.  When I highlight the second one in the last screenshot, it does list all the files....but I don't know if that's just the same drive that I rebuilt back on page 1 (reference post of August 17), and therefore redundant to it to drive?  It does look like the one I wrote in Page 1 had a "Start" of 267350 whereas the second drive in the last screenshot above has a "Start" of 16384 (both have the same "End" point), but I have no idea if that difference means anything.  :erm:    ETA:  Actually, I see that the difference in the "End" from the first two drives in that last screenshot (426xxxxxxx vs. 586xxxxxxx) is about the same ratio as the 2.0 TB vs. 2.7 TB of data, so the differences in the two "Start"s is not my missing data, correct?

I guess at this point it can't hurt to try running chkdsk on it, before giving up the TestDisk ghost and doing the quick format?  Or maybe try caintry's EaseUS suggestion if chkdsk does nothing and if EaseUs doesn't work either, then give up and to the quick format?

Edited by sanguillen

at this point, i'd just go into windows disk management delete all the partitions on the drive and create 1x3tb ntfs partition with quick format, then i'd see if testdisk could rebuild the file system on that partition so all your data showed up, if that fails then i'd simply bite the bullet and copy the backup files across even though it means a lot of work sifting through them.

if you're not worried about the small 8mb partition on the front of the drive , then i'd simply use windows disk management to expand the 2tb partition to use all the empty space on end of drive (maybe try deleting the 8mb partition and seeing if you can expand the new larger partition into it too)then run chkdsk to see if it fixes the 0kb files that are there at the moment.

and that i'm afraid are only  options i can think of.

Edited by terry1966

On 8/27/2017 at 11:40 PM, terry1966 said:

To see if chkdsk fixes the 0 kb files, would the command be the following?

chkdsk /f H:

doesn't really make a lot of difference between /r and /f, only real difference is r will check for bad sectors where f won't, so r can take hrs where f doesn't take that long.

as long as H is the correct drive then yes  chkdsk /r H: or chkdsk /f H: will do.

13 hours ago, caintry_boy said:

I'm thinking it should be chkdsk /r

13 hours ago, terry1966 said:

doesn't really make a lot of difference between /r and /f, only real difference is r will check for bad sectors where f won't, so r can take hrs where f doesn't take that long.

as long as H is the correct drive then yes  chkdsk /r H: or chkdsk /f H: will do.

Thanks to both of you for your continued efforts on this.  :yup:  I ran chkdsk /r (I've already invested a lot of time into this, as have you both, so what's a little more right?), but it found no errors.  So I still have some files that are being reported as 0 kb.  Disk Digger initially rescued the files, but there are a boatload that I'll have to open individually to determine which one is which as they are all named "avi file at sector xxxxxxxx".

On 8/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, terry1966 said:

at this point, i'd just go into windows disk management delete all the partitions on the drive and create 1x3tb ntfs partition with quick format, then i'd see if testdisk could rebuild the file system on that partition so all your data showed up, if that fails then i'd simply bite the bullet and copy the backup files across even though it means a lot of work sifting through them.

if you're not worried about the small 8mb partition on the front of the drive , then i'd simply use windows disk management to expand the 2tb partition to use all the empty space on end of drive (maybe try deleting the 8mb partition and seeing if you can expand the new larger partition into it too)then run chkdsk to see if it fixes the 0kb files that are there at the moment.

and that i'm afraid are only  options i can think of.

I tried making it all into one partition (the 8 mb, the 2.0 tb, and the 7xx gb unallocated), but nothing has changed.  At this point, I'm thinking I'll try the first option you listed above and if that doesn't work, I'll call it a day.

Just so I understand, what would the steps be regarding quick format and then rebuild the file system?

If it was me... Ensure that you have everything important to you backed up. Go into Disk Management again locate the external drive and subsequent partitions and delete them so that you end up with one large partition of "unallocated" space. Assign it a drive letter and make it Primary then quick format it. This should explain better > http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_06.htm