Sign in to follow this  
sanguillen

Replacing an HDD 3.5" USB 3.0 Enclosure

Hello,

For the last few days, my Seagate srd00f2 3.5" 3 tb hard drive would not show up on either my work laptop or my work laptop when I plugged it in (its light would not come on when plugged in). In searching the Internet, the problem seemed to be the enclosure of the hard drive, so I went out and purchased an Orico 3.5" 3.0 USB enclosure (3588C3), removed the hard drive from the Seagate enclosure, and installed it in the new one. It powers up fine now, and both laptops recognized it and installed it. But when I try to access the hard drive on either laptop, I now get the message "D:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted". When I go into Disk Management, I see what is in the image below (RAW file system instead of NTFS, and with partitions that are "unallocated". The "unallocated" is actually data that I need to access - this is not a new drive.

I've no idea what to do to be able to access the information on here, and would greatly appreciate any assistance you might be able to lend. Thanks!

"The volume does note contain a recognized file system":

http://i.imgur.com/jmsyv67.jpg

Disk Management

http://i.imgur.com/X4lswPH.jpg

Try using DiskDigger to recover any files on the old drive that you want to save and save them to something that you CAN access. You can get DiskDigger here > https://diskdigger.org/diskdigger.zip
Download, install and run the DEEP SCAN.

Be sure to save your data, pictures, etc. to a USB drive or cd/dvd or another external drive.

:geezer:

I might suggest a different way...

Try running a live Linux CD (This allows you to run Linux without installing it) on the laptop and see whether Linux can see the files. It's a little less fussy about file systems than windows.

If not then yep anything like DiskDigger or my fav Photorec: (Sorry can't link to site as work firewall blocks me!!)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photorec+for+windows+7+free+download&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB753GB753&oq=photorec+for+windows&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.12487j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Either way as soon as you get them off back up, back up and back up again!!

Thank you both for your replies!

@caintry_boy - the only option I had was "Dig Deeper", as the "Dig Deep" option was grayed out. It's a slow process as it is a 3 TB hard drive that is almost full, so it's running at roughly 1% per hour (and of course, at some point overnight Windows ran an AutoUpdate that involved a reboot, so I had to start again first thing this morning! :facepalm::glare: ). It does seem to be finding the files though though interestingly, some of the filenames are preserved, but others are referred to as "mkv at Sector X", or something similar. Question while it is still running - I takes it chkdsk is not an option to run....at least not until I've backed up the files?

@nigsy - I Googled the live Linux CD options, but am unclear as to how to run any of these without installing it. I'm presuming it's not as easy as just putting the .exe file on a USB and running that file off of that? I got a little confused when reading the types (such as Knoppix), and my understanding of Linux is almost 0....

I've got a new drive ready for backup as soon as I can access these files, but what do you both think of the situation so far? Do you think it might be a simple file system repair, or something more serious like early signs of an HDD failure?

Edited by sanguillen

@nigsy - I Googled the live Linux CD options, but am unclear as to how to run any of these without installing it. I'm presuming it's not as easy as just putting the .exe file on a USB and running that file off of that? I got a little confused when reading the types (such as Knoppix), and my understanding of Linux is almost 0....

I've got a new drive ready for backup as soon as I can access these files, but what do you both think of the situation so far? Do you think it might be a simple file system repair, or something more serious like early signs of an HDD failure?

To run a Live cd you will need to download a Linux .iso (I would just go for Ubuntu); either burn it to a disk or create a bootable USB stick (if your BIOS can boot from USB). Best tool for creating a bootable USB is a little bit of software called Rufus.

When you run the .iso it will give you the option to install or run as a Live CD - Just choose the latter and you're away.

The trouble with any software recovery tool is that large files that are stored across multiple sectors don't tend to recover very well as you no longer have a working index. It's ok for photo and word docs; but music and video not so good. Even then the files names might be altered.

As for 'file system repair' or just a reformat - I'm sure Seagate have a diagnostic tool you can run to tell you the condition of the drive. Just need to Google it.

Don't run any reformat options until you have exhausted all suggestions as you will loose everything!!

Hope this helps.

To run a Live cd you will need to download a Linux .iso (I would just go for Ubuntu); either burn it to a disk or create a bootable USB stick (if your BIOS can boot from USB). Best tool for creating a bootable USB is a little bit of software called Rufus.

When you run the .iso it will give you the option to install or run as a Live CD - Just choose the latter and you're away.

The trouble with any software recovery tool is that large files that are stored across multiple sectors don't tend to recover very well as you no longer have a working index. It's ok for photo and word docs; but music and video not so good. Even then the files names might be altered.

As for 'file system repair' or just a reformat - I'm sure Seagate have a diagnostic tool you can run to tell you the condition of the drive. Just need to Google it.

Don't run any reformat options until you have exhausted all suggestions as you will loose everything!!

Hope this helps.

Thanks nigsy. I'm currently at work so without being able to access my laptop, how would I know if my BIOS can boot from USB? My laptop is about 5 years old, so I don't recall the specs on it (though I do know that Windows 7 is the normal OS on it)

I'd stay away from chkdsk while recovering files. ;)

I'll take your word on that. :)

I tried Ubuntu, and it's not picking up the drive at all - so I'm back to continuing my DiskDigger scan. :erm:

I'll take your word on that. :)

I tried Ubuntu, and it's not picking up the drive at all - so I'm back to continuing my DiskDigger scan. :erm:

You probably need to mount it; you'll need Gparted (For Ubuntu):

press Ctrl - Alt and T (this should open a terminal window);

Type the following in:

sudo apt-get install gparted

and let it install

Should be able to run it by typing sudo gparted into the terminal window. (it needs root privileges to run).

Let us know how you get on with disc digger.

Might also be worth running Photorec after disc digger to see if it finds anything else.

You probably need to mount it; you'll need Gparted (For Ubuntu):

press Ctrl - Alt and T (this should open a terminal window);

Type the following in:

sudo apt-get install gparted

and let it install

Should be able to run it by typing sudo gparted into the terminal window. (it needs root privileges to run).

Let us know how you get on with disc digger.

Might also be worth running Photorec after disc digger to see if it finds anything else.

Regarding Gparted - so I would do all of that whilst running Ubuntu? Ironically, Ubuntu was having an issue with the new portable drive I just purchased to use as a backup/replacement for this one - it would recognize it, but not allow access for some reason (don't recall exactly what the message said). Windows 7 had no issues with it when I plugged it in, so I was a little surprised when Ubuntu had a problem with it. Ubuntu did recognize a flash drive I have just fine, so this has all been rather perplexing.

As for Photorec, yes I will run that after DiskDigger. DiskDigger is running faster now that I have it plugged into my USB 3.0 port, so I anticipate it will be done by the time I get home from work today.

Regarding Gparted - so I would do all of that whilst running Ubuntu? Ironically, Ubuntu was having an issue with the new portable drive I just purchased to use as a backup/replacement for this one - it would recognize it, but not allow access for some reason (don't recall exactly what the message said). Windows 7 had no issues with it when I plugged it in, so I was a little surprised when Ubuntu had a problem with it. Ubuntu did recognize a flash drive I have just fine, so this has all been rather perplexing.

As for Photorec, yes I will run that after DiskDigger. DiskDigger is running faster now that I have it plugged into my USB 3.0 port, so I anticipate it will be done by the time I get home from work today.

It's about permissions in Linux; the new drive worked in windows because you don't need root access for the drive to be mounted a massive security hole! Depending on the mounting point in Linux you need to be in the root user group to mount it. You can then change the permissions etc later.

Good luck with the recovery. I've had similar issues in the past; guess you learn to back everything up!!

And yep; Gparted in Ubuntu

Maybe try Ultimate Boot CD?

I've used it many times. It has so many useful utilities and runs from a Gentoo Linux with gparted already available to use.

Try using DiskDigger to recover any files on the old drive that you want to save and save them to something that you CAN access. You can get DiskDigger here > https://diskdigger.org/diskdigger.zip

Download, install and run the DEEP SCAN.

Be sure to save your data, pictures, etc. to a USB drive or cd/dvd or another external drive.

This'll work even if you have to let it run overnight. Just be sure to have space available to save your files too. Some may have funky file names, but I think after you save them to USB or hdd that you can rename them. (don't quote me on that!)

once you have backed up your files using whatever software and chkdsk doesn't fix the problem then i'd suggest trying to fix the hard drive using photorecs companion software testdisk.

step by step guide. :- http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

with luck this will fix the corrupted partition/file tables and you will now have the drive back exactly how it was in the old enclosure but now in the new enclosure with all your files still on it and readable.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

It's about permissions in Linux; the new drive worked in windows because you don't need root access for the drive to be mounted a massive security hole! Depending on the mounting point in Linux you need to be in the root user group to mount it. You can then change the permissions etc later.

Good luck with the recovery. I've had similar issues in the past; guess you learn to back everything up!!

And yep; Gparted in Ubuntu

That's good to know about the permissions - thanks. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that this explanation doesn't apply to the HDD with the issues?

Maybe try Ultimate Boot CD?

I've used it many times. It has so many useful utilities and runs from a Gentoo Linux with gparted already available to use.

Thanks for the tip, Justin. If I get back to trying Ubuntu again (see below), I will look this program up!

This'll work even if you have to let it run overnight. Just be sure to have space available to save your files too. Some may have funky file names, but I think after you save them to USB or hdd that you can rename them. (don't quote me on that!)

It actually took 2-3 days to run, but a lot of that was my fault as I had set the drive up on a regular USB port, leaving the USB 3.0 port open for the new drive so that any files I'm able to save would write faster. I obviously got a little ahead of myself so I saved my session and shifted it over to the 3.0, where it moved much quicker. I am now at the stage of moving stuff to the new drive, which is taking longer. The music files, for the most part, seems to have preserved their file names. The movies and TV shows, however, are pretty much all named "Y file at sector xxxxxxxxx", so I'll have quite the renaming project ahead of me (though that won't be nearly as painful as trying it would have been trying to replace all that stuff!). It seems as though I'm able to rename the files in Windows Explorer, so that's good. :-)

once you have backed up your files using whatever software and chkdsk doesn't fix the problem then i'd suggest trying to fix the hard drive using photorecs companion software testdisk.

step by step guide. :- http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

with luck this will fix the corrupted partition/file tables and you will now have the drive back exactly how it was in the old enclosure but now in the new enclosure with all your files still on it and readable.

Thanks, Terry. That was going to be my next question, once the transfers are all complete (probably another couple of days, as I will leave it running while I'm away for the weekend). Which software should I run first on the HDD in question?

Actually, the transfers from the saved DiskDigger files are complete. Based on the amount of space used up on the new drive, it looks like all data was saved! Although it seems mp4 files get converted to mpeg extensions instead, and there is heavy fragmentation, such that many of these extensions don't work at their current state. I just ran SeaTools, and the Short Drive Self TestGiven passed (it curiously does not give me an option for running Long Drive Self Test).

Given this info, does it make sense to proceed with chkdsk, or should I use something else first instead? :unsure:

on a windows system chkdsk is always the first and easiest thing to run, and if it can't fix the problem then move onto other software.

forgot to say the seatools long test may not show up because it also see's the drive as raw and unformatted. which with luck you'll be able to fix either by running chkdsk or testdisk which i have used at least once to fix the exact same issue you're having where a hd showed as raw without losing anything on it, was a long time ago but if memory serves all i had to do was repair the boot sector from it's backup. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step#NTFS_Boot_sector_recovery

Edited by terry1966

Chkdsk is a no go - in Windows 7, I get the message "the disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted". WHen I try to run it from the cmd prompt, I get "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives".

I'm moving on to TestDisk....

on a windows system chkdsk is always the first and easiest thing to run, and if it can't fix the problem then move onto other software.

forgot to say the seatools long test may not show up because it also see's the drive as raw and unformatted. which with luck you'll be able to fix either by running chkdsk or testdisk which i have used at least once to fix the exact same issue you're having where a hd showed as raw without losing anything on it, was a long time ago but if memory serves all i had to do was repair the boot sector from it's backup. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step#NTFS_Boot_sector_recovery

TestDisk hasn't gone so well. I'll be able to post more info later today, but what do I do if it says that boot sector and backup are both bad?

Thanks, Terry. I've done the rebuild, and now both the boot sector and the backup are listed as OK. But I still can't access the drive. When I go back and try to Analyse, it just lists the one partition. When I go to list what's on it, I get the following message:

EZjkm6R.jpg?1

I try and run chkdsk through Windows, and I get "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk". So I then proceed to running it from a cmd prompt. I saw a bunch of "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment xxxxxxx, and then a bunch of "Inserting data attribute into file xxxxxxx" and then I got the following:

WmB97t3.jpg?1

I then got a message popping up asking if I wanted to open the contents of Drive H:....and I'm able to access it! However....Windows is now telling me it's a 2 TB drive instead of a 3 TB drive, and there are some files that are listed at 0 kb. I'm not sure what to do next?

ETA: TestDisk still reads it at the correct 3.0 TB, so I've got it back on Analyze, looking for a lost partition. But it was never actually partitioned in the first place, so I'm a little confused....

ETA 2: The following is the result from Analyse:

1LdwWi6.jpg?1

Edited by sanguillen

ok. i didn't notice/realize it was a 3TB drive, which means it was formatted as a gpt drive, and because windows now sees it as a 2 TB drive i think it must be seen as formatted with mbr and not gpt partition table now.

i've never used testdisk on a gpt drive so don't know what exactly caused this issue, at a guess i think it must be choosing the wrong partition table type to analyse it in the first place, i'm also not sure if we can still repair it now, especially as chkdsk made changes to the files by the looks of things, so all data is seen and usable exactly like it was in the old enclosure.

the way i see it is you have 2 choices.

first is to just use windows to delete the partition and then do a quick format of the drive as gpt so windows now see's it as a 3TB drive and simple use it.

second is to continue using testdisk to analyse the drive but this time using efi gpt and not intel partition table and see if it can find and repair things. might even need to rebuild the bootsector again.

you may need to run chldsk again when windows sees it as a 3TB drive with all your files and see if it will put things back to how they were before it made the changes it did when it saw the drive as 2TB, then again you may not if everything is seen and works. (you could try this second option even after doing the first.)

But it was never actually partitioned in the first place,

all drives are partitioned, they won't store data otherwise. you may not have partitioned it or formatted it yourself, but all drives need to be formatted and a single partition created before they can be used to store your data.

think of it like this,

a hard drive is a flatpack filing cabinet, useless until built.

formatting is building the filing cabinet but it still doesn't have any draws to hold your paper work/data yet.

partitioning is building the draws and inserting them into the filing cabinet. so now you have everything needed to store your paper work/data.

good thing about a hard drive compared to a filing cabinet though, is you can easily change the layout and number of draws available to you at any time. :mrgreen:

Edited by terry1966

first is to just use windows to delete the partition and then do a quick format of the drive as gpt so windows now see's it as a 3TB drive and simple use it.

If I were to do a quick format of the drive as gpt, that would erase all the files I have on it, correct?

second is to continue using testdisk to analyse the drive but this time using efi gpt and not intel partition table and see if it can find and repair things. might even need to rebuild the bootsector again.

you may need to run chldsk again when windows sees it as a 3TB drive with all your files and see if it will put things back to how they were before it made the changes it did when it saw the drive as 2TB, then again you may not if everything is seen and works. (you could try this second option even after doing the first.)

In this case, should I start with looking at the boot sector? I'm unclear as to what I'd be looking for after I chose EFI GPT instead of Intel.

As it stands right now I have complete access to the drive and all its folders. It's just that some of the files are listed at 0 kb instead of their correct file sizes, and these particular files won't open when I click on them. The majority of files do list the correct file size, and run fine when I click on them.

all drives are partitioned, they won't store data otherwise. you may not have partitioned it or formatted it yourself, but all drives need to be formatted and a single partition created before they can be used to store your data.

think of it like this,

a hard drive is a flatpack filing cabinet, useless until built.

formatting is building the filing cabinet but it still doesn't have any draws to hold your paper work/data yet.

partitioning is building the draws and inserting them into the filing cabinet. so now you have everything needed to store your paper work/data.

good thing about a hard drive compared to a filing cabinet though, is you can easily change the layout and number of draws available to you at any time. :mrgreen:

Sorry, I guess I phrased that poorly. Yes, originally the HDD had just the one partition. Is it possible that somehow a second partition was created at some point (quite possibly by me accidentally during my attempts with TestDisk), and that it is "lost" and needs finding using Analyse or Deep Search or something? Could that be why that last picture I posted previously shows 3000 GB at the top of it, and 2199 GB at the bottom of it?

ETA: for what it's worth, TestDisk has always detected an "Intel" partition table every time I've run the program. It has not once detected an EFI GPT partition map.

Edited by sanguillen

If I were to do a quick format of the drive as gpt, that would erase all the files I have on it, correct?

yes and no.

yes it would look like there were no files on there in windows but no a quick format doesn't actually delete the data on the drive so the files are still there and it's just windows doesn't know how to find them any more, but if you used photorec or the other windows program you originally used to find and backup the files it would still find them. testdisk should also still be able to find the files and fix things again so windows sees them and shows a 3TB drive.

In this case, should I start with looking at the boot sector? I'm unclear as to what I'd be looking for after I chose EFI GPT instead of Intel.

i'd think you'd choose the same options as if you started with the intel option, analyse, show files, etc.

like i said earlier haven't actually used testdisk on a gpt drive and it's been a very long time since i've used testdisk at all now.

As it stands right now I have complete access to the drive and all its folders. It's just that some of the files are listed at 0 kb instead of their correct file sizes, and these particular files won't open when I click on them. The majority of files do list the correct file size, and run fine when I click on them.

if you're happy with how things are at the moment and just want to see a 3TB drive then maybe just converting it to gpt will do that for you. https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/free-convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

Sorry, I guess I phrased that poorly. Yes, originally the HDD had just the one partition. Is it possible that somehow a second partition was created at some point (quite possibly by me accidentally during my attempts with TestDisk), and that it is "lost" and needs finding using Analyse or Deep Search or something? Could that be why that last picture I posted previously shows 3000 GB at the top of it, and 2199 GB at the bottom of it?

i doubt it because testdisk would show you 2 partitions when you analyse it and if that was the case then i'd think windows (don't use windows myself.) disk management would show you a 3TB drive with at least a 2TB partition and the rest of the drive as empty space but from my understanding it only shows you a 2TB drive which to me means it only sees a mbr(basic) 2TB drive where it should see a gpt 3TB drive.

ETA: for what it's worth, TestDisk has always detected an "Intel" partition table every time I've run the program. It has not once detected an EFI GPT partition map.

i'm wondering if the enclosure you bought is capable of using hard drives greater than 2TB not all are, but if it is then i'd think not seeing the drive as gpt for some reason in the first place is why you had the problems to start with.

Edited by terry1966