Sign in to follow this  
aaron

my computer's internet cuts off at 8 o'clock exactly every day

My PC stops getting internet connection at 8:00 pm every day, i asked my dad if he put a parental control on my internet to shut off at a certain time and even called the service provider for help and they said they can't help me after a diagnosis because its a problem in my computer. i've checked countless forums and haven't found anything like this. when i try to look something up it says my connection timed out. I also checked something that showed the connection going out right after it gets to my computer. The connection before 8 is completely fine though. I don't know if this is unrelated but, sometimes the computer doesn't recognize the LAN cable in the port, and doesn't light up, but after unplugging from both sides and plugging back in multiple times it works. please help

:wp:

That's a lot of info to sort through. Let's try to break this down into smaller pieces:

1) Are there other devices that receive their Internet from the same router that are not being affected?

2) Can you make the Internet shut down on your computer by changing the clock to read 8:00 pm when it is actually earlier?

3) Does unplugging/plugging in the Ethernet cable have any effect after 8:00 pm? Does the LAN light go out after 8?

:wp:

That's a lot of info to sort through. Let's try to break this down into smaller pieces:

1) Are there other devices that receive their Internet from the same router that are not being affected?

2) Can you make the Internet shut down on your computer by changing the clock to read 8:00 pm when it is actually earlier?

3) Does unplugging/plugging in the Ethernet cable have any effect after 8:00 pm? Does the LAN light go out after 8?

1)yes my dad's computer and my mom's computers are directly attached to the same router and work perfectly fine

2)when I set the time past 8 pm, when its actually earlier the internet still works fine

3)the LAN light stays on after 8, but unplugging the Ethernet cable after 8:00pm makes the light not turn on again after plugging it back in. I got the LAN light back on after unplugging and then plugging it back into the computer, and then unplugging and plugging it back into the wall, but still no internet

From the description it sure sounds like it is the router that is shutting off the connection. One way to check this would be to change the computer's name, as that is often how the router identifies the connected devices. Unplug the Ethernet cable, rename the computer, then reboot and plug the cable back in. The router should now see it as a different computer. Alternately, you could login to the router and see if your computer name has inadvertently been added to the Parental Controls section.

If changing the computer name makes no difference, then you can try creating a "test" user account and see if it has the same issue. Login to the test account around 8:00 pm or later and see if it has Internet. If it does, then we need to dig into the Windows settings for your regular account. If the test account does not have Internet after 8:00 pm, then we will need to look at the hardware. We will need to have more details about the computer and what version of Windows is installed (i.e. have you upgraded to the Windows 10 Creator's Edition?).

Also, and I probably should have suggested this first, have you already tried doing a Windows System Restore back to a point before the problem began?

thought routers blocked pc's by mac address not pc/user names, at least that's always been how i've controlled pc internet access.

personally i think the parents have blocked it in the router settings, a quick test would be to simply reset the router which would clear any such settings but of course the parents might not be happy and of course there's nothing stopping the parents setting it back up again if that was the cause.

of course another test would be to change the pc's mac address. :- http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-change-mac-address/

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

But parental controls would not shut off the ethernet port. Why does the ethernet port light go out? Even if I block a computer on my router (by the way. I can do it by name, IP address, or Mac address) the ethernet port still shows a green light at the computer and the router registers that it has a connection to said computer.

From the description it sure sounds like it is the router that is shutting off the connection. One way to check this would be to change the computer's name, as that is often how the router identifies the connected devices. Unplug the Ethernet cable, rename the computer, then reboot and plug the cable back in. The router should now see it as a different computer. Alternately, you could login to the router and see if your computer name has inadvertently been added to the Parental Controls section.

If changing the computer name makes no difference, then you can try creating a "test" user account and see if it has the same issue. Login to the test account around 8:00 pm or later and see if it has Internet. If it does, then we need to dig into the Windows settings for your regular account. If the test account does not have Internet after 8:00 pm, then we will need to look at the hardware. We will need to have more details about the computer and what version of Windows is installed (i.e. have you upgraded to the Windows 10 Creator's Edition?).

Also, and I probably should have suggested this first, have you already tried doing a Windows System Restore back to a point before the problem began?

thought routers blocked pc's by mac address not pc/user names, at least that's always been how i've controlled pc internet access.

personally i think the parents have blocked it in the router settings, a quick test would be to simply reset the router which would clear any such settings but of course the parents might not be happy and of course there's nothing stopping the parents setting it back up again if that was the cause.

of course another test would be to change the pc's mac address. :- http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-change-mac-address/

But parental controls would not shut off the ethernet port. Why does the ethernet port light go out? Even if I block a computer on my router (by the way. I can do it by name, IP address, or Mac address) the ethernet port still shows a green light at the computer and the router registers that it has a connection to said computer.

thank you all, changing the mac address worked and i am posting this at 10:38 pm.

:clap:

just don't stay up to late on the pc and make sure all your school work is done first. ;)

not sure tomk, all routers seem to have different settings and ways of working, personally i always set mine to only allow certain mac addresses, i find it easier than trying to block mac's or ip's, must admit can't remember seeing a way to block by computer names on routers i've used though, it's probably there just i've never noticed it.

Edited by terry1966

I'm guessing you are using higher-end routers. The ones I typically see are supplied by the ISP and try to make things pretty easy for beginners.

Capture.JPG

I suspect that it is actually using the mac address "behind the scenes". The list of connected devices shows the device name, IP address, and the mac address.