Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Got a new phone

My LG one was starting to take 8+ hours to charge and then die in about 30 minutes to an hour just in standby mode.

Well, got a new Samsung Galaxy J1. It's got a quad core cpu and double the storage and RAM. It also gets an upgrade from 3G to 4G LTE service.

Problem is, it seems to be slower than the last phone. Is it due to adverts on websites?

I do have CCleaner app and keep it clean. Maybe I need to scan for any infections (malware, adware)?

I do know all firmware and apps are up to date and current with Verizon.

It is an Android but I'm not certain which version... possibly Marshmallow. Last phone was running Kitkat 4.4.2 I believe.

Any recommendations?

nigsy   

If you are using the Samsung launcher - That's a power hungry resource!! Try Apex or something else.

I doubt very much if you have adware etc; but a quick scan wouldn't go amiss.

Adverts do slow browsing down and in app adverts are annoying but a fact of life if you want to keep things free.

The J1 is about 2 years old now and wasn't that special on release; most of the onboard storage is taken up by the OS and the 1gb RAM is nowhere near enough even for mobile rendered websites.

Current Android version can be found under settings > about device > software version

To get it running slightly better keep background running apps to a minimum.

Looks like Android 5.1.1 and think I seen something about Lollipop.

Can't find anything about Samsung Launcher.

Guess I'll just have to deal with it for a while. This was the only phone I could afford at the time until I start new job. Current employer put everyone on lay off for 3 months and now everything is behind on payments.

I also don't understand how the 4G LTE is slower and drops calls more than the old 3G I had before.

Tomk_   

Verizon may be different in your part of the world, but where I come from much of the 3G network is 850 Mhz. 4G is 1900Mhz. 1900Mhz has a higher bandwidth but it won't go through walls, trees, etc. I think 850 mhz is much more stable. Less dropped calls etc. Able to make calls on 3G with single bar. 1900 Mhz requires at least 2 bars of service. Phone will ring at 1 bar but you can's answer it (doesn't seem to matter whether it's a windows phone, android, or apple or who the manufacturer was). However, if the signal will connect, data is at least 4 times faster on 1900Mhz.

nigsy   

Can't find anything about Samsung Launcher.

The samsung launcher is touchwiz; it's the UI you are using to access the apps, swipe the screen etc.

You can download new launchers from the play store (Apex, Nova etc)

I searched touchwiz in play store and it's not installed. Guessing I have a different one.

Apex and Nova also appear to not be installed either. So no clue what launcher it's using.

nigsy   

I searched touchwiz in play store and it's not installed. Guessing I have a different one.

Apex and Nova also appear to not be installed either. So no clue what launcher it's using.

It's using touchwiz; that's the default launcher.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/how-tos/how-to-get-rid-of-touchwiz

It's not an app per se, it's more of a setting. It's stored under settings and then Themes (I think) you won't find it in your app drawer or on play store.

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-launcher-apps-222408/

You could always root it and install a lite OS - That'll help.