Sign in to follow this  
nigsy

Wanted To Share This With You All

Back in December I had a bit of a health scare; high blood pressure, told to take 4 weeks off work etc. It was a big enough scare to change my life; I changed my diet completely cut the booze right back (I still enjoy a little tipple!) and I started exercising.

We have a phone app here in the UK sponsored by our health service called "Couch to 5K", basically an 8 week programme to get fat ar**s like me off the couch and out running. I completed the 8 weeks and then stepped up to the 10k running app.

My weight has dropped from 96 kilos to 74kg a loss of 48 of your imperial pounds!! and I've not felt better or fitter in years; I'm off the blood pressure meds and my body fat has dropped from a massive 24% to just 12% - I still have about 4kg to loose and I'm at my ideal weight.

On Sunday I completed my first goal and ran the Bideford 10km race coming in at an impressive 58 minutes.

So if you're sat there thinking I want to loose weight / feel better but I just don't think I can; I am living proof that you can change it around.

If this lazy fatboy can do it anyone can!!

post-35967-0-24237100-1494859511_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Nigel. Way to go. :tup:

From what I've heard from people that I know that run... anytime you approach the 7 minute mile range... that is impressive!

I believe everything you have said to be true. I can't cut out the booze as I don't drink, but I'm positive that if I were to go running I'd lose weight. The problem for me is that even when I was in shape (played all of the intermural sports - football, softball, waterpolo, basketball, soccer - and was fullback and/or wing on the college Rugby team), I never have had any desire to just run 5 or 6 miles (or more). I might have done it in a game... but it was a game. I might chase a deer or an elk that far... but I won't be running most of the time. I'm not sure that lowering my blood pressure is enough of an incentive for me. I'm more like 102 to 103 kg and I probably felt best at about 180 lbs or 80kg, but I had more muscle then so probably 70kg would be better. Besides... I could eat more if I was a little less. ;)

Fantastic news!

Congratulations! Truly impressive and I wish you continued endurance and success!

:) Y

If you want to see what a lovely part of the world I live and run in; here's the video from Sundays event......I'm in there somewhere...if you pause it at 2:41 that's my back!!

Medal and t-shirt for competing. Video is great, lovley shots captured by the drone, they had quite a few on the course filming, but to edit it all and get it out so quickly must have took some doing.

Great job Nigel!! You are definitely to be congratulated! :clap:

Keep up the great work! :tup:

Sure is odd seeing the cars driving on the left side of the road. lol!

Must be tricky for you driving on the right when in other countries.

Congrats once again on your continued success and health.

:) Y

:clap: definitely got a lot more will power than me, i keep thinking about getting fit again but don't really see me doing it. couldn't run 500 metres let alone 10k. :rofl3:

well done. :clap:

:b33r:

Good on you, Nigel. Me, I've quadrupled my beer intake and I've taken up shooting melted lard into my neck like I used to do with my smack, but I'm still not dead.

Seriously though, that's jolly good news.