Sign in to follow this  
hampsje

How can one secure/delete old info off of HDD before recycling the com

hampsje   

How can one secure/delete old info off of HDD before recycling a computer? Especially when the computer is not able to turn on do due reasons of dead battery, missing power cord, etc for laptops?

Is there a trusted company to drop off old computers for recycling purposes without compromising any and all data left on the HDD?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mac

nigsy   

You could take the drive out and hook it up to another computer; run a tool like DBAN to clear the data. (Doesn't work with SSDs)

https://dban.org/

Or just take the drive out and use the only trusted tool in the box.......hammer!

Tomk_   

1. Set the HD on a concrete slab.

Hit it as hard as you can, 3 times on each side with a 8 lb (or larger) sledge hammer.

Put it in a burn barrel with lots of waste paper and burn. Repeat a time or two.

Place HD in a bucket with 4" of water in it. Leave until all water has evaporated and the HD has taken on a lovely rusty color.

Discard to landfill with rest of trash.

If i'm going to trash a HDD I open it up and remove the magnet and put the magnet to use on my refrigerator, if I'm concerned about the data I remove the platters and, strictly for scientific purposes, sit them on a glass in the microwave and nuke them for 2 seconds.

You could always take an electric drill and a 1/4 in bit and drill a couple of holes in the hdd. Last but not least just pass a strong magnet over it.

:geezer: