Sign in to follow this  
gingersnap318

Spilled milk on witreless keyboard attached to desktop Dell computer

While computer was on strawberry milk spilled in rt hand upper cornor of keyboard. Disconnected right away and dried keyboard and turned upside down to get any milk out. Looked dry Hooked back up and worked fine. Three days later computer turns on shows Dell logo and circle of dots underneath and then goes to blank gray colored monitor picture. Got new keyboard and mouse and still does the same thing. Once in a while will come on and say to recover in safe mode. I have pressed F8 but it does not have any effect on picture on monotor, still has gray screen. Why would a wireless keyboard getting wet affect a desktop computer? What can I do?

Once in a while will come on and say to recover in safe mode.

you saying sometimes it comes on and works ok without the grey screen and other times it says you have to start in safe mode then boots to a grey screen?

Why would a wireless keyboard getting wet affect a desktop computer?

it wouldn't so to be honest i think the spilled milk and your current problems are just an unlucky coincidence.

sounds to me like you may have a hard drive going bad and it's causing corruption to the os and software/drivers or you have a monitor/graphics problem.

What can I do?

quick way to narrow down the problem is to run a live linux cd and test the pc with that, if everything seems to work fine there then that narrows down the problem to the os or/and hard drive if you still get a grey screen then it could be a monitor or graphics problem.

i suggest using rufus to create a bootable usb stick with any 64bit mint version to test with.

rufus :- https://rufus.akeo.ie/

mint :- https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

if you need more info on creating and running a live linux os then let us know.

Once in a while will come on and say to recover in safe mode. I have pressed F8 but it does not have any effect on picture on monotor, still has gray screen.

you'd need a wired keyboard for that, because the drivers don't get loaded so the wireless keyboard works until the os is loaded which is way past the point of where you need to have any key presses noticed and used.

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

You can test the hard drive using Seatools for Windows > http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Click the BLUE "Download" button to the right of Step 1 then follow directions to install in steps 2 & 3. Open Seatools and use the "Wizard" to locate the drive.

*** Note, to my knowledge this will test any working hard drive.

:geezer: