jcr

Factory reset for Lenovo Tab 10 tablet wont work

I have a fairly new Lenovo Tab 10 tablet (two months) that said it needed an update so I started it going. It seemed to freeze, so I powered it off and turned it back on, but now it wont come on all the way. I just get a black screen and a window that says "Unfortunately system UI has stopped". It turns itself off over and over, coming back on with this same message appearing. I tried to do a factory reset, but all that happens is it clears it but never resets it. I tried to reset it by going to the Chinese language screen, where I was supposed to find some English letters, MMC, I think, to enter to reset it, but couldn't find them anywhere. What the hell did I do? Is there any way to fix this? I don't know if tablets are talked about here, so I'm sorry if I shouldn't have posted about it. Thanks for any help.

Hi Jcr; You're more than welcome to post about tablet problems!

You say you've tried a factory reset? Did you follow the instructions in this link (Method 1):

http://www.hardreset.info/devices/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-10/

I may take several attempts to get it to work. It will wipe all data!!

It could take 5 - 10 minutes to reboot fully.

As soon as it does start up; power it down and restart it normally.

I got to the factory reset function and clicked it but the tablet won't reset. It just stays the same, and does the thing where it boots and the window "Unfortunately system UI has stopped" comes on, then it shuts off, and repeats that over and over. I tried factory reset several times with no luck. If I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, could that help?

If I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, could that help?

It might.

The System UI message is usually related to an incompatible root application - Usually Google Search / or G-apps Package.

One way around would be to root it and manually install the latest GApps or...

If you are able to access the recovery menu, before doing a factory reset - There is another option in the menu to 'Wipe the cache'; do this first and then run the factory reset.

If you do get it to restore - Do not apply the update when prompted!! Something is wrong with it.

I got to the recovery menu and ran "wipe cache partition" and then "wipe data/factory reset", like you suggested. I got white letters in the lower left side of the screen saying "cache wipe complete" and "data wipe complete". I entered "reboot system now" and when it came on, it did the same thing again, showing the "Unfortunately system UI has stopped" message, and cutting off and on, over and over. Should I try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery next?

You can try removing the battery, but I'm not sure it will make any difference. Worth a shot though.

Do you know what version of Android it was running before the update?

I don't know. Here's what it says about it on amazon.com.

Newest Lenovo Tab 10 Tablet PC, 10.1" HD Touchscreen, Qualcomm Quad-core Processor 1.30GHz, 1GB Memory, 16GB Storage, Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Up to 10 hours battery life, Android 6.0 OS

It seemed to freeze, so I powered it off and turned it back on,

sorry to say it sounds like you've bricked the kernel, i don't think lenovo supply a stock rom to download so you can flash the device yourself and install the os again.

so in my opinion i think your only option is to take it back to the shop seeing how it's only 2 months old and get it fixed/replaced by them.

:b33r:

sorry to say it sounds like you've bricked the kernel, i don't think lenovo supply a stock rom to download so you can flash the device yourself and install the os again.

so in my opinion i think your only option is to take it back to the shop seeing how it's only 2 months old and get it fixed/replaced by them.

Got to say I agree.

Unless you want to play around and root it and put a clean version of Android on there. But as it's probably under warranty i'd take it back and say you woke up in the morning and the system UI message greeted you. No need to elaborate!!

when you do upgrades, the instructions tell you to always have the device plugged into a power source, there is a reason for that and it's because when you upgrade what it's doing is over writing the old os with a new one but if it loses power half way through installing the upgrade then the device is left with half of the new os and half of the old os on there which means it no longer has a full set of instructions on how to boot the device to the main screen.

when you powered off the machine half way through the upgrade because you thought it had frozen, what you're doing is exactly the same thing as if it had run out of power during the upgrade and that is why you were left with a device that no longer booted.

the only way to fix it is to reinstall the os again from scratch, which means connecting it to a computer and using a special program to flash a new os to it. now i don't think lenovo supply a new os download that you can then use to put on your device and why you're left with the option of returning it so they can fix it or as nigel said maybe installing a stock android os from google onto it.

personally seeing how it's so new i'd return it and either get a replacement or get them to fix it, if it was out of warranty then i'd look into how to install a stock android os on there.

Edited by terry1966

thinking more about it and doing a search i found lenovo's smart assist software so you may be lucky and be able to fix it yourself using that.

download it from here :- https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht117028

don't know the full instructions on how it works, but i'd think you'd install the software to your pc, connect the tab to it and run the program and follow any onscreen instructions.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht501876

Edited by terry1966

I downloaded the Smart Assist software and plugged in my tablet but didn't have any luck. I typed in the model number I got from the back but it didn't work. I got the Chinese menu I mentioned earlier to open and just tapped on everything in the list. It's some kind of checking program. One thing checked the front camera and the next checked the rear one. Another tested the left speaker and another the right, and so on. so it's not completely dead.

I have two other tablets, a Nexus 10 and a Samsung Tab 3. I wonder if I could get a backup OS from one of them onto a thumb drive and out that on my Lenovo?

Edited by jcr

I have two other tablets, a Nexus 10 and a Samsung Tab 3. I wonder if I could get a backup OS from one of them onto a thumb drive and out that on my Lenovo?

No!!

You need to either find the original Lenovo android OS or a clean google OS - You will need to root your tablet and a desktop application like Odin or Heindmal to do either solution. Never rooted a Tablet so there might be some additional hoops to jump through!

I'll see what I can find.

The issue seems to be that you can't root unless you can switch on USB Debugging in the developer settings on the tablet. As you can't access the settings that rules anything out.

My last ditch attenmpt would be to get the latest Gapps package:

http://opengapps.org/ (Stock Android 6)

Save it to an SD card - Boot into your recovery menu and select update from SD card......reboot.

If not just take it back.

Well, I tried downloading and installing the Android 6 OS but it didn't work either. I really appreciate the advice and all the effort you all made. Thanks again.

with that software did you follow or even see the instructions from this page? :- https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht501876

seems straight forward to me, but then again i don't have a lenovo tablet i can run tests on to better guide you.

maybe it'll be worth contacting lenovo for help, because like you said there is nothing wrong with the hardware of the tablet and all you need to do is install the os rom again to get it working like it was.

I tried entering the model name but it didn't recognize it. I put in Tab 3, then Lenovo Tab 3, but it wouldn't work. On amazon.com, it lists the model as a Lenovo Tab 3. I tried the model number from the back, TB-X103F, but no luck. After I tried a model name, I clicked on the window that says to enter the HW Code but it wouldn't work. Is there another model name I should try?

Also, after downloading the Smart Assist software and opening it. I got a popup window with a red circle and white cross sign in it, and a "boing" sound, saying "Windows cannot find "IS Process Exist" Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again". I deleted the Smart Assist program and downloaded it again and got the same warning message. Is there something wrong with the program? I guess I should contact Lenovo.

Edited by jcr

that would be the model number i'd think worked.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/search?query=TB-X103F&searchLocation=masthead_S

try just "tab 10" and see what happens, maybe try the auto detect feature on the web page.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/tablets/a-series/tab-10/downloads?linkTrack=Caps%253ABody_SearchProduct

Edited by terry1966

Oops. I meant to type Tab 10 above. That's what I used. Sorry. I wonder why they don't work?

Edited by jcr

sorry nothing we've suggested as worked for you, so yes contact lenovo and see what they say or take it back to where you got it from is all i can suggest now.

let us know how you get on.

I recently bought a LenovoTB-X304F running 7.1.1/NMF26F/TB-X304F_S000053_180927_ROW.  Using Windows 8.1, I tried to root it, using the process specified for "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" to unlock it.  It is unlocked now, according to recovery "DEVICE STATE - unlocked" and above it is "SECURE BOOT - enabled" but when I reboot I cannot get it past the Lenovo logo.  The device no longer shows up in File Explorer nor Device Manager in Windows 8.1 although, previously, it did.  When I try to connect it using Minimal ADB and Fastboot, Windows cmd.exe reports that the daemon starts at "tcp:5037"; "daemon started successfully," and; "error: no devices/emulators found".
I tried the method of downloading and saving "open_gapps-x86_64-7.1-full-20190807.zip" to a removable sandisk 16gb card that I formatted in my android phone then moved the downloaded .zip onto the card using the android phone's file explorer.  
After installing the card in the tablet, and rebooting it into recovery, I wiped the cache partition and wiped data/factory reset and then I selected "Apply update from SD card" but when I reboot the "dead" Android icon briefly appears, disappears, and it goes into recovery and then I get this message:

Supported API: 3
ro.boot.bootdevice is: 7824900.sdhci
--Install /sdcard/open_gapps-x86_64-7.1-full-20190807.zip ...
Finding update package ...
Opening update package ...
Verifying update package ...
E : failed to verify whole-file signature
Update package verification took 10.8 s (result 1).
E : Signature verification failed
E : error: 21
Installation aborted. 

Prior to all of this, I saved a backup of the tablet, using TWRP, onto another sdcard but windows reports that card as "corrupted".  But, I still do have that backup, assuming that Windows doesn't recognize the card and reports an error.

This tablet is about a week old.

Is there a way that I can still recover the tablet from the TWRP backup?

Thank you for your attention.

Edited by L410
i made a mistake in the model ID