Sign in to follow this  
BOB4

Restore point on win 10

I have a new laptop with a SS h/d and a 1 terr h/d.I want to make the restore point for the SS h/d © and put it on the 1 terr h/d (D). The SS h/d is only 128 gig and I try and install any programs on the D drive. Some times I have no choice but install on C drive. Would it be possible to put the restore points for the C drive on the D drive? I might be missing some thing!

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, System Restore will only use the C: drive for restore points. That being said you can limit the amount of space being used on the drive for restore points. You can also back up your restore points to a different drive but the original restore points will be on C: drive. Perhaps in a pinch you could back them up then delete them from C drive but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Better than restore points would be to create an image of your "C" drive and store it on the "D" drive or on an external drive.

Macrium Reflect is a popular free utility to use.

I use Acronis, personally, and create a new image every month or so, depending on changes (installs/uninstalls) that I've made.

In addition, should you create an image of the "C" drive, down the road if you get a bigger SSD drive, you can plug it in and send that image over to the new drive and you'll be up and running in no time with the bigger drive as your primary drive.

As for the specifics of your question, Signman is on the money. You can back up your restore points elsewhere, but Windows is set up to save the "C" drive restore points to the "C" drive and the "D" drive restore points to the "D" drive, etc.

:) Y