Sign in to follow this  
geewhiz

Oscars

I never watch the Academy Awards and last night was no exception. I was surprised to see that there were a few movies that I had actually seen that were nominated.

Manchester By The Sea - Casey Affleck won best actor. I saw this one and I thought it was: long - slow - depressing - pointless.

Hopefully, I have saved some of you a few dollars. I know a lot of people don't agree. Believe me - they're wrong

Hacksaw Ridge was nominated for best picture but it didn't win. Great Movie!! (I tend to like action movies)

Arrival is a third movie I saw - nominated for Best Picture. Science Fiction movie - it was okay

Not to worry geewhiz, I don't watch either, nor do we go to the movies. We used to go to the movies when the grandkids we were raising were smaller but we have no kids any more that like kid movies. (Lorax, etc...)

:geezer:

My parents watched Hacksaw Ridge over the weekend. My father really liked it. My mom... not so much.

My wife used to like to watch the awards shows to see the dresses. That was then, this is now. We haven't watched the academy awards in many years. I have always figured that when Midnight Cowboy beat True Grit for best picture back in like 1970 that it is a worthless award.

I've seen both True Grit versions

One with The Duke, the other Jeff Bridges......

Of course the one with The Duke is my favorite but...Jeff Bridges did a very good job.

unfortunately, i didn't think there were any "great" movies this year. here is my rundown (i've seen most of them):

manchester by the sea was very good movie, but not great. best actor award for casey affleck was well deserved...he was terrific!

hacksaw ridge was a good movie about an incredible story. again, not best picture quality (come on, vince vaughn as the sargeant...really?)

arrival was very good, but not best picture worthy.

hell or high water was a pretty cool flick, but no way in hell it should have been nominated for best picture.

moonlight was ok....but did not belong in best picture category at all.

hidden figures was very good, but once again...not great.

started to watch fences, but just didn't feel it. i'll give it a shot again one of these days.

not into musicals, but i must say....lala land was very good and probably should have won. out of all the nominees, it was the most entertaining IMO

didn't see lion yet. it is next on my list!

i liked a lot of the animated films this year....trolls, moana, life of pets and zootopia were all excellent!

and since you brought up true grit for some reason....the newer version by the coen brothers is BY FAR the better version. jeff bridges was great! the coen bros. make nothing but top quality flicks and certainly did not disappoint with that one.

unfortunately, i didn't think there were any "great" movies this year. here is my rundown (i've seen most of them):

wow - you DO go to a lot of movies. Although I enjoy movies, it used to be a rarity to actually see one in a theatre. Then, 3 years ago, I retired. I have a housekeeper that comes every other Thursday afternoon so I go away to a movie. I want to see Hidden Figures and its been out now for a while. But lately it seems that a different movie sounded better on my 'movie day'. This week I'll see The Great Wall and I'll miss Hidden Figures again. It will probably be gone next time around but there's always DVD. I love Denzel Washington but Fences doesn't look like a 'good time' movie from the previews. If I want to be depressed I'll just watch Manchester by the Sea again :P . I wish Denzel hadn't been such a crybaby last year.

The last movie I saw in a theater was "The Incredibles". The one before that was Jim Carey's "The Grinch". In each case they were free because they were the "house warming" premier for new Regal Cinema's I had just built. I enjoy movies... they are just less enjoyable when I have to pay for the tickets. Besides, in the theater you just have to sit there and watch the whole thing through. If they are any good they will show up on TV and I can do other things while watching... or perhaps even watch part of it several different times until I've finally seen the whole thing.

Can't fault your logic. On those rare occasions I would go to a movie (before I retired) it would always be on a weekend. The theatre would be full and kids can be very distracting and noisy - even in R rated movies where the kids are older. And then there's the issue of cell phones...

The afternoon movies I go to now have very few people. One show had just three people in it and I still had to ask a lady to turn off her cell phone. I always sit in the back row and whenever someone gets a text the screen lights up - very distracting. I've had to do this few times. Really - can't people be 'out of touch' for 2 hours while at a movie? I've found myself the only person in a showing and I still turn off my phone - old habits die hard.

ohhh.. I see Logan comes out Friday. Did I mention I like movies with a lot of action?