Sign in to follow this  
JustinP526

Suspicious Google account login

I got notifications that my Google account was logged into from an unrecognized machine at 12:58 AM (central time). I know for a fact that my Google account has been logged out for hours prior. Smartphone was powered off and charging as was laptop. The notification said it was from a Windows Machine running Chrome 52.

My lappy is running OpenSUSE Linux with Chrome 55 and my smartphone is an Android running Chrome 55.

It gave an IP address from which the login occurred and running a back trace shows said IP address through Comcast (most of Illinois uses Comcast for cable modem) but the trace says it's most likely from Champaign (down state some 200+ miles).

Of course I've just changed password for the account, even changed to new phone number for notifications to come in on my new number.

Is this anything to worry about? Seems a bit suspicious to me since we'll be leaving later today for big move (headed to Oklahoma). Isn't that Chrome 52 for Windows also an older version that is outdated? A quick search showed that current version of Chrome is 55/56. Any chance this was a hack attempt?

Info I'm seeing... I'm currently in DeKalb (near NIU), there is some mention that it could be traced through DeKalb too. Seems to originate from Champaign though.

http://whoisip.ovh/50.165.81.136

Thanks a bunch if anyone has some insight to this!

Tomk_   

for what it's worth... when I run that IP I show it located near south 4th and East Lincoln Highway in Dekalb.

Thanks for the info guys!

4th and Lincoln Highway is downtown Dekalb, my apartment was on the outskirts about 5 miles away from that location. Seems a bit strange to me.

Oh well, I'm now gone from Illinois! Currently in St. Louis, Missouri and about half way to destination.

Tomk_   

Have a safe rest of your trip... and good luck in Oklahoma. If anybody gives you any trouble, perhaps you can sick Guns on them.

geewhiz   
Tomk_, on 03 Feb 2017 - 8:25 PM, said:

Have a safe rest of your trip... and good luck in Oklahoma. If anybody gives you any trouble, perhaps you can sick Guns on them.

I've heard that Chuck Norris is even afraid of him (Guns) :)

Always avoid signing in twice, For example, If already logged in a browser like Chrome then are suddenly prompted to log in after navigating somewhere else, Close your Web Browser and reopen, You should still be logged on, There may be a problem.

Your OS is safe however your proprietary browser?

Wave at Prescott on your way by...

Where in Oklahoma are you headed?

:geezer:

Hey no kidding, we'll pass right by there!!

We're going not far from Fort Smith, Arkansas. Basically the middle of nowhere!

Tomk_   

Fort Smith is a big city. Obviously you will be on the Oklahoma side of the line.. but even Roland or Sallisaw are fair sized towns. It appears to me that there are alot of people living in "the middle of nowhere".

On the other hand, comparing to where you are coming from... it is certainly less crowded. I suspect that your opinion of "there is nobody here" and my belief that "there are to many people around here" are closer together than might be expected at first glance.

Well I heard some mention of Broken Arrow (near Tulsa) but I'm told it's literally off the grid. So basically on some private property type land with cabins... like a homestead.

Was at a Cafe noticed a swindler walking around around with his Phone holding it in odd directions, People were seated logging into their computers, Asked him how's it going, He said good nervously and walked out.

There are lots of ways to get information, Shysters are everywhere.

Broken Arrow will net you about the same things that Chicago/Dekalb did. There will be plenty of booze, drugs and "wild times on Saturday night". Also should find some jobs if you don't already have one, I have a friend that lives in the area and does treatment at the Cancer Center there...

:geezer:

No, got laid off from work in Dekalb IL. We came down to these parts so I could start working somewhere else and live temporarily with girlfriend's dad. Well he just screwed us and said never mind after we just got here. Now we're around Alma, Arkansas and just about out of money. Might have to hustle some cash to make it back to Illinois since I was just offered a better job back in Dekalb.

Also realized that lots of my computer parts got left behind at the apartment we were kicked out of. So I'll have to save a bit to build a new rig, would like to get folding again!

Yeah, things did NOT work out in Oklahoma... so back in Illinois now. Found out roommates threw away a ton of my mail and all the computer parts I had there. So looks like I'm starting over from scratch again... just as soon as I get a new place to live and save a few paychecks from new job.