Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duanester

High Bandwidth the Average

These day's it's pointless doing a bandwidth test unless your stuck with Hughes.

My ISP doesn't even bother me, Every year they increase the bandwidth and monthly cap, Although when i am a little forgetful on billing i think they decrease the width, The little square data fragments when submersed in Netflix entertainment.

Nope, We still don't test, We just pay the bill happily and everything goes back to norm, Consistent bandwidth, So much of it even if it narrows from peak hours, still unnoticeable.

Just don't see a point to test anything, Their is just too much entertainment out there to waste time Micro Managing bits of data for my ISP.

Granted you have those folks out there with screwed up Routers, Wires, Computers and somehow it's the ISP's fault, Been there, I know, Just take the stupid router back and get another, Stop calling for assistance, Stop restarting things, Stop arguing, Stop testing, Your annoying yourself :P

Translation:

"Your speed is what it is. It may change from time to time. Odds are that any slowdowns are caused by you rather than the ISP. If you would stop testing, you wouldn't know what speeds you are getting so it wouldn't bother you so much. Stop testing. Stop whining. Live with it. Spend your free time on more worthwhile pursuits... such as trying to find a good deal on a second hand sense of humor, perhaps"

Or something like that.

gosh Tom and Duane - are you saying that a person shouldn't expect to get what he's paying for and shouldn't complain if the quality of the service is poor?

Hang on... I'm not saying anything. I was just attempting to interpret the previous post as requested.

are you saying that a person shouldn't expect to get what he's paying for and shouldn't complain if the quality of the service is poor?

The guy with two WiFi bars?

I give you speed testers an A for trying, First speed tests are extremely inaccurate, Oh No! :woot:

Second, A test can reveal results of a certain speed however when you dl files, It takes much longer to receive them.

We are not talking about the guy being throttled for downloading torrents, Or the Malware infected ones, Or that ISP maintaining a form of QOS on a City network.

Testing will not assure you or anyone anything.

For example tx calls to complain about not getting a full Gbit speeds, They put him on hold and everyone starts laughing their buts off, The Rep gets back on and says we tested the line and everything appears great, Then they both start to talk about fishing poles.

Translation:

"Your speed is what it is. It may change from time to time. Odds are that any slowdowns are caused by you rather than the ISP. If you would stop testing, you wouldn't know what speeds you are getting so it wouldn't bother you so much. Stop testing. Stop whining. Live with it. Spend your free time on more worthwhile pursuits... such as trying to find a good deal on a second hand sense of humor, perhaps", it's all your fault anyway!

Or something like that.

My ISP used to tell me that, then I got them to send a repairman out and boy did I show his butt a thing or two...this old fat, bald headed country bumpkin knew what he was talking about... ;) Nowadays when I call and complain, they go right away and fix it (throw the switch to turn off the throttling).

:geezer:

Actually no, I'm not, Something to do wile your internet is home by itself doing nothing.

Test out your Fishing skills, Maybe take to Grandson and teach him how to cast!

You all are to high tech. Me kids fished with poles like this:

502f38235a4dc.image.jpg

This gal has to much line on hers... You want no more than the length of the pole... but the concept is correct. Very few tangled lines or rat nested reels with this outfit. Much more conducive to a relaxing afternoon of fishing.

I've taken (as the only adult) 5 or 6 (kids, nieces, nephews) youngsters at a time, all under 8 years of age. A good time was had by all and many fish were captured. I've also taken two 6 year olds out with "high tech" rods and reels and spent the whole day untangling things. Very little enjoyment was had by anyone.

My first pole was made of bamboo, about 10 ft. long with about 12 ft. of braided line and a hook, sinker (split shot) and cork (bobber). ;)

:geezer:

The reason for the line not to be longer than the pole is... you want the "pole" to bend slightly when you fasten the hook into the bottom of the branch. Letting little ones hold on to the the line (with a hook) in one hand and the pole in the other is a recipe for disaster when moving through the brush. If you hook the line (with slight tension) to the bottom of the branch, the youngsters can maneuver fairly easily. Very little snagging will occur and you won't have to pull any hooks out of fingers, arms, cheeks, whatever.

Once they get to be 10 or 12, let them have a "fancy" fishing rig. At that point they can go fishing on their own... and be responsible for untangling their own gear.