Sign in to follow this  
Jo-Ann

windows defender

Jo-Ann   

for some time I have not been able to complete a windows defender update.,, I am getting the error 0X80070652 I have no idea what this is., can you please help me ? I run windows 7 on this computer

I am having trouble with.

JoAnn

Juliet   

sorry for such a delayed reply.

By chance, do you have an antivirus on the computer?

Juliet   

0x80070652 error is usually associated with a failed windows update.

By having another antivirus installed on your computer, by design, windows defender is disabled.

no idea if your trying to update by windows updates so, if you temporarily disable Frontier Secure and try updating again it might work.

Also, windows has a troubleshooting page.

Windows update troubleshooter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Jo-Ann   

still will not update I followed a few suggestion I got from windows this is the message I got:

WARNING: could not delete Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Services\d2a43d25-c26c-4e9d-8784-2f51494a8ed8 service registry key 0x80070002
2017-01-17 18:18:25:277 1008 aec Agent WARNING: Failed to delete service from the backup store, error = 0x80070002

Check this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb3163018-will-not-install/b8376131-c9c4-4494-9a1f-2eb7709f1027?auth=1

I had a similar problem last year and found that there were "duplicate user profile keys" in the registry for a program I had installed. For some reason, it prevented updates (i.e., caused them to fail). Deleting the duplicates solved the problem, but it's a risky business. I wish you well.

Jo-Ann   

Thank you both I followed the link above that Juliet posted and I just followed all instruction to the T and all better.

Back to normal. W Defender finally updated and did the scan and said I was normal

I can't thank you enough..... this prob has been going on for some time now. Finally with you help all gone.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

JoAnn

I think she's fine now but I have a little rope for you... :mrgreen:

:geezer:

LMAO

I'll say this though, having multiple, active antivirus progs is NEVER a good idea. Since you're paying for Frontier's solution, stick with it and don't worry with Defender.

What is considered an AV program? If I am using windows built-in defender and some Ccleaner + anti-malware it's okay, or too much?

Defender that comes bundled w/ Win10 and Win 8.x is a full fledged AV. It's effective and will provide adequate protection. Layered protection, the route you're using has always been the general "best practices" for keeping your pc clean and protected. A word of caution, you need to ensure only ONE of your security products is running a "real-time" agent, otherwise they'll compete for resources and in the end, result in a less secure pc.

Tx